Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviews, Comments and Discussions for Alexander Revisited
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joanna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how do you explain the fact that there are more positive comments than negative ones from the audience point of view?

(I'll write more; I can't write now....I have to go)
Sikander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Joanna,

"And how do you explain the fact that there are more positive comments than negative ones from the audience point of view? "

The fact that some people liked it is not at issue. I was addressing the comment re critics.

If I *were* querying numbers, I would first have to ask where the data comes from, where the opinions are posted, how many people shared their opinion, etc. The truth is, that while many people liked the movie, many others did not. The movie can only be assessed on how well it did compared to other movies that were released at the same time, the box office revenues and post-movie purchase of DVDs. It might well have done smashingly; that does not change the fact that people who were not critics (and I am certain not all of them are "sophisticated") also did not find the movie to their taste.

I cited from my own experience at the theatre; it was painfully apparent that, for many of the movie-goers, the movie did not satisfy them.

This isn't to say it there weren't good scenes, or strong scenes; but then, most movies have something that can be appreciated. It is simply acknowledging/explaining that critics weren't the only ones who felt the movie was weak. But movies are subjective, at best, so each person will come away with their own perspectives and opinions. For example, I like the movie "Lagaan", but I know many people who detest it <laughing>.

Regards,
Sikander
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: