Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's it going? Introducing myself.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alita

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: How's it going? Introducing myself. Reply with quote

Hi everyone. New here and just wanted to introduce myself.

Have a great day Very Happy

Alita.
joanna

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alita. You are very welcome here Very Happy

Tell us more about yourself
Alita

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Joanna Very Happy

It's really nice to meet you. I guess in a nutshell I'm a 20-something English as a Second Language teacher. I've lived in Melbourne all my life, of migrant parents. So are you from Italy? My ultimate dream is to live in Italy! I love the Italian language, food, people, culture, clothes and country... Ho imparato la lingua italiana nell' universit√° da due anni e spero di continuare .. because, as you can probably tell, I'm very rusty. Embarassed

I look forward to sharing many good conversations with you.
(You can post me stuff in Italian if you like).

Cheers from Alita Wink
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alita wrote:
(You can post me stuff in Italian if you like).
Which is against the rules. Please Read
Alita

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Ok. What about PM messages?
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM's are fine as long as the recipient doesn't mind Smile
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alita,
a warm welcome to the forum... Very Happy
It is customary at such times, to find a clean kylix, fill it with wine and drink a toast to our man...Megas Alexandros...!!

Italians....My cousin is married to an Italian woman, his sister is engaged to a half Italian man, a second cousin married an Italian man and lives in Italy (all mum's side) and my daughter's last boyfriend is half Italian....Rolling Eyes
I also love Italian veggie food and sitting with a mocha coffee (that reminds me) watching the world go by.....
regards
Cynisca
Alita

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cynisca!

Wow, you sure are no stranger to the Italian vibe... Cool

It's great to meet you. How long have you been an admirer of Alexander the Great for?

(For me it's going on 2 years... and the magic is as strong as ever *sigh*).

I'm by no means an expert on the man (just started to read Arrian and Robin Lane Fox) so I ask excusing in advance for the fact that I may be asking weird questions from time to time (that is, ones with a bleedingly obvious answer to most people here).

Also, I just have to say that this is the friendliest and most exciting forum about ANYthing historical that I've ever been on. I really think it was a spot of luck I found it and congratulations to all of you for making it what it is. Very Happy

Cheers buddy,
Alita.
Alita

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. Wine makes me sick, but, what the heck... A TOAST TO MEGA ALEXANDRO!!! (*scull*scull*scull*)
apelles

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alita.Welcome to our happy band!I just came back from a trip with 500 Australians..what a blast.We had fun. Very Happy Very Happy
joanna

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alita, I'm a Greek woman who has lived in Chicago for years (in the remooote past) and now I've been living in Italy for the last 11 years of my life (don't try to figure out my age; believe me, it's a mystery concerning all the 40 plus people, men included Rolling Eyes )

I'll PM you in Italian if you like. But I'm afraid that your Italian is better than mine Very Happy . Keep it up! You're good Exclamation
Alita

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Apelles - wow, 500 Australians! You must have had fun! (And lots of beer). Where did you go? Were you a tour guide or something? Anyway, nice to meet you mate. Very Happy

Joanna - Your life sounds exciting, to say the least. I really am envious; always wanted to live in Italy! *sigh* What made you decide to move there? I mean, not that anyone needs a reason to move to Italy in my book. Wink I've always lived in trusty old Melbourne.

Btw, regarding age... I don't believe in it. Smile

Thanks for your compliment on my Italian; unfortunately, that's as far as it goes! I haven't studied it for years. You'd be really good after 11 years in Italy. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement; maybe next time, you can give me a kick in the pants! I need to pull my head in. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Smile
apelles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alita,
The 500 Australians were on a trip I just took to Alaska,not as a tour guide but a fellow traveller on a ship.They were great!
I don't believe in age either...mainly because Joanna is younger than me!So to hell with it! Laughing Laughing
Now Alita,what turned you on to the GREAT man? You said you read RLF nd Arrian so that's got to be good but what started you off?
Alita

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apelles wrote:
Hi Alita,
The 500 Australians were on a trip I just took to Alaska,not as a tour guide but a fellow traveller on a ship.They were great!
I don't believe in age either...mainly because Joanna is younger than me!So to hell with it! Laughing Laughing
Now Alita,what turned you on to the GREAT man? You said you read RLF nd Arrian so that's got to be good but what started you off?

Hey there apelles. You really do have an exciting life. I'm a fan of any cold country, personally. I like to feel cold!!

About Alexander the Great... I'm not really sure what made me interested in him. I'll start from the beginning. (This may be boring... comfortable?). While at uni, I read part of RLF's book (about one twentieth in total) purely out of curiosity. The impression it gave me was of a powerful, yet immature person. So I didn't feel too enamoured of the great man at that point. Then, a few years later, I was talking to a nice old lady and she was telling me about her sons. One of them, I had seen, and for some reason he reminded me of Alexander. Anyway, the lady was telling me about this son and from the stuff she was telling me, I started to think he was a really fantastic person. But I didn't become interested in him; I became interested, again, in Alexander. Weird eh? And that interest has grown, day by day, fed partly by my own sentiment, partly by the world's interest. I haven't read RLF yet either; just bought it and have read the first chapter or so. I've also just acquired Arrian, but I'm as interested in the ancient Greek language as in the events narrated there, so my reading of that is going very slowly too.

That's my story, in a nutshell. So what about you? I'm always curious why others are interested in the Great. Tell me more about yourself! Smile
apelles

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alita,
That was a weird way of getting to Alexander wasn't it? But an interesting one.I got there via Mary Renault's trilogy of novels and then started to investigate the real man and I certainly wasn't disappointed in what I found.RLF's biog. was the first one I read and I'm grateful for his enthusiastic approach which made me want to know more.
Arrian's a favourite too.Some of us here formed a book group and read him together.I can safely say we had a great time doing it.It's in the archives somewhere if you want to take a look.
I hope you find what you're looking for here. Very Happy
If you want to see who's here,look under personal Profiles in General Discussion where some of us have entries.
Janie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: