Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's it going? Introducing myself.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alita

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Janie,

I haven't read Mary Renault. What are the titles of those books? I also think RLF is excellent; you can see quite a bit of his own personality coming out in the bio too, which I like, it helps to get into it more.

Wow, a book group; that's cool. Smile Wish I had come across this site earlier!

See ya,
Alita.
apelles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,I bet you'd love Mary Renault.The Alexander Trilogy titles are;Fire from Heaven.This deals with his life up to becoming king.So she does Philip,Olympias.Hephaestion and so on.It's a wonderful read.She absolutely captures him! The Persian Boy.This carries on chronologically from Fire from Heaven and it's told by Bagoas,Alexander's Persian lover.It deals with all the conquest of Asia.Personally,this is my favourite.
Discussion on the book going on now at,

http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?...
Scroll down to Arts and Entertainment and click on Books.
Finally there's Funeral Games which begins with Alexander's death and deals wity the power struggle for the Empire.Good but not as riveting as the two others.
So,there you are,lots to read! Very Happy
The book group was wonderful!Sadly we had to suspend it because of other commitments as it took up so much time.
Re.RLF.Did you see,"Charging for Alexander",the documentary of his cavalry part in the movie? What a great guy! Very Happy
Alita

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for all that. Very Happy

I haven't seen "Charging for Alexander" (what a great title!) but I did read somewhere that Fox was an advisor on the set of "Alexander" in exchange for being in all the cavalry scenes... Is that right?
apelles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Very Happy Yes,that's right,RLF negotiated with Oliver Stone that he would be in the cavalry charges near to Alexander.There's a great shot in the Gaugamela section of him thundering along with a huge smile on his face,blind as a bat without his glasses!Priceless! Laughing Laughing I think Oliver was terrified he was going to get trampled but of course he didn't!
Apparently he's an incredibly good lecturer..very interesting.I'd love to go to a few of those on Alex.
If there's anything specific you want to talk about,start a new topic.We may have discussed it before but that doesn't matter. Very Happy
Alita

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that about Fox when I watched the movie; got to get the DVD again I think. Very Happy How cool would it be to hear one of his lectures though? That would be one lecture I wouldn't fall asleep in. Laughing
Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Say Hello All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: