Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is the philosopher Aristotle not a part of this movie?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sexyphilosopher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Why is the philosopher Aristotle not a part of this movie? Reply with quote

Why is the philosopher Aristotle (Alexander's teacher) not a part of this movie?

This is a glaring omission from the cast of characters and renders the movie almost meaningless.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cami Te Amo!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am asking that too!? He played an important role in Alexanders life!
sexyphilosopher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cami Te Amo! wrote:
Yes, I am asking that too!? He played an important role in Alexanders life!

Thanks for being on board with this.

Maybe the producers will have an epiphany and cast DiCaprio as Aristotle. ROTFLMAO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
meshuggahruls

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you all have a good point i have viewed whos playing who and there is no aristotle, he is like the only philospher i knew of before i was 9. number .one he is a famous dude in history. two he was really smart. three he was a part of alexanders life.four he was a pretty cool dude .

thats four of my reasons why aristotle should be listed on the internet as one of the cast and also be included in the movie.(if not just write at the end of the credits that aristotles spirit helped make the movie ) or some stupid **** like that.
and if im blabbering on its cause it hot i have no pool and there is airconditioning in the computer room so im trying to make it look like im doing something.
okes bye
love from
cal
cal
ciao,
Cami Te Amo!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to open topic about Aristotle too, but I didn't know his english or original name, I didn't know how to write him. Embarassed
Tino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Why is the philosopher Aristotle not a part of this movi Reply with quote

sexyphilosopher wrote:
Why is the philosopher Aristotle (Alexander's teacher) not a part of this movie?

This is a glaring omission from the cast of characters and renders the movie almost meaningless.

Agreed, I wonder if they'll make it seem that Leonidas taught Alexander everything he knew, or perhaps he was just divinely wise? LOL
maryp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what Oliver Stone's plans are..
but reading this it came to mind that he may find a way
to show Aristotle's influence without actually having the
character in the movie.

I guess we'll have to see..but without hearing Stone say
that he's ignoring Aristotle completely on purpose..I'd have
to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll handle it someway.
Salonika

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that oliver stone is focusing on the military achievements more than his life, you know his movies, but there is a boy playing young alexander, so there might be chance aristotle will have a scene in this movie.
kida_greenleaf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: aristotle Reply with quote

there is still a slim chance that aristotle may in fact be in this movie. imdb.com is not always up to date as far as casting is concerned. still, doesn't seem likely. alas.
Salonika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your prabably right, maybe oliver stone will shoot the bucephalus scene with the young alexander, but i think aristotle should be in the movie, he influence alexanders character a great deal, specially in the future. But this is a movie and like someone said it's not a documentary, we will see in november when the movie is out.
Salonika

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be good also. His teacher sticks with him duiring his campaign, but i think it will be anthony hopkins that we will see and hear, because he is playing the old ptolemy, so it looks like he is going to tell the story about alexander, in ancient time there was a ptolemy journal of alexanders campains, so it would be good to see if the movie starts on how he is starting to write this journal, good point magika.
SammyOne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange how Ptomley is left in and Aristotle is left out, considering Aristotle was such a huge influence on Alexander's life. But thinking about it for a second, Ptomley did write a history of Alexander so is more suitable for a narrator figure, was influencial militarily throughout the whole of his life and therefore more relevant to a military history, and went on to rule Egypt and spawn the dynasty which ended with one of the most infamous figures in ancient history, Cleopatra. Aristotle is undoubtedly very important, and I am sad to see his omission, although other then at the beginning of his life, Aristotle doesn't figure that much. Maybe I am being stupid, but I didnt even realise Aristotle was Alexander's tutor until I started researching for my dissertation, and had previously just thought he was a famous philosopher! Durrr! But having said that, a lot of the public not particularly interested in ancient history wouldn't know either, so its not too much of a big deal to leave him out from a movie-making point of view.

Maybe also all the other old/authoritive British actors, other than Sir Antony, were away filming other projects (Peter O'Toole in Troy, Michael Gambon in Harry Potter, Richard Harris - deceased, Ian McKellen - too famous after LOTR etc etc) so they couldn't cast another old fella??? (Joke in case you were wondering...don't hurt me!)
sexyphilosopher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magika wrote:
Hey! Like my friend said earlier, Aristotle can be just a voice in Alexander's head. Maybe a sort of a narrator in the movie. Maybe the voice of a surprise cast member that Oliver Stone keeps quiet about. The rest of the cast don't have to know about him... That would be accaptable by my artistic side! Wink

You're giving Oliver "Castro's just very misunderstood" Stone WAY too much credit for intelligence, insight, and creativity. The guy's a hack and a bum and a liar and an insufferable person overall.

I believe he thinks that Aristotle was in on the assassination of Kennedy.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sexyphilosopher wrote:
I believe he thinks that Aristotle was in on the assassination of Kennedy.
lol Wink
sexyphilosopher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astibus wrote:
Why the animosity for stone ???
philospher?

That's an easy one.

Stone is an obnoxious anti-American ultra-Leftist who treats history and the truth with utter contempt. He is a demagogue of the worst sort, one who symapthizes with Castro and his regime and attempted to foist on the public a documentary which not merely defends Castro and his regime, but lionizes them.

Any other questions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: