Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Fall of the Roman Empire" on DVD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GLENDALEFALCON

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: "The Fall of the Roman Empire" on DVD Reply with quote

"The Fall of the Roman Empire"

Release Date - April 29th

Two-disc edition and a three-disc box set edition.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't talk about the Roman Empire!

Grrrr....I've been studying Latin for two days now and it drives me crazy Confused Shocked Rolling Eyes
What strange and extremely complicated language those people spoke.

What? Did you say the 'Fall of the Roman Empire'? GOOD!!!! I approve Exclamation
Cynisca

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
Don't talk about the Roman Empire!

Grrrr....I've been studying Latin for two days now and it drives me crazy Confused Shocked Rolling Eyes
What strange and extremely complicated language those people spoke.

What? Did you say the 'Fall of the Roman Empire'? GOOD!!!! I approve Exclamation

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Pax..!
You have to admit, much of what the Romans were credited with, was actually invented by the Greeks... Wink But least they left us with central heating...! (I admit I feel sorry for some of those Legionaries who were posted on Hadrians Wall, asking mum to send them extra socks)
Did you know that garlic bread, for instance, was a Greek invention, they just didn't have tomatoes in those days to produce pizza.
C
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pizza is actually Greek. It was brought to Italy from Greece during the colonization period. Yes, no tomatoes but they were making that kind of dough and they were putting cheese and vegetables on the top.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
Pizza is actually Greek. It was brought to Italy from Greece during the colonization period. Yes, no tomatoes but they were making that kind of dough and they were putting cheese and vegetables on the top.

Exactly.... Wink
In fact, (for those reading this who are not aware) many of the Italians were of Greek ancestry - Magna Graecia and all that, hence the mosaic of Alexander in Pompeii and other strong influences from the Hellenistic world.
The Samnites, (possibly the Sabines) were an ancient Italian people, but look at their appearance and the design motifs used in this fresco http://nths.newtrier.k12.il.us/academics/faculty/seifert/lwp_439/latin/images/samnites.jpg
Wasn't the wave motif originally used by the Minoans and then the Cretans. This motif was later picked up by the Spartans, some of whom were also said to have founded and settled in Tara/Taranto in Southern Italy....?? (I came across the latter, during research for the 'real' King Arthur - don't ask...!!!)
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:

I won't put up with this charade of pizza being Greek. It was an invention in Napoli to honour Regina Margherita (the Queen) and the ingredients represent the colours of Italy (tomato for red, basil for green, and cheese for white). Razz
Cynisca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandros_19 wrote:
joanna wrote:

I won't put up with this charade of pizza being Greek. It was an invention in Napoli to honour Regina Margherita (the Queen) and the ingredients represent the colours of Italy (tomato for red, basil for green, and cheese for white). Razz

So that is where the Margherita came from....!
Must have been that ancient Greek heritage of theirs - Neapolis...Napoli Wink Wink
Adriv

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"One historical perspective on ancient Rome is that it became decadent due to a succession of poor emperors like Nero and Caligula". Not sure about that - what you all think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: