Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a few newish pictures--including Philip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kida_greenleaf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: a few newish pictures--including Philip Reply with quote

These were posted on the Alexander Rumor Control a few days ago, but I thought they would warrant more discussion here:

Farrell and Stretch (?) to the left, cut off?

and

a lovely Hellenistic courtyard

and

this picture seems likely to be our first look at Val Kilmer as Philip! It's hard to tell whether or not that's him, but given the kingly robes, golden crown and appearance, I think it's safe to say we're looking at Philip!
Salonika

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen these pics when they first came out they are the one kevin posted as being desktops, as for the last photo, it is defenately phillip, the gold reath on his head it is for sure phillip.
alexander makedon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right Salonika, I read your earlier mail, and it is clear that clothing wise the Macedonians are portrayed accurately, especially from wearing the Macedonian helmets which are described as Phrygian and Thracian. It will be something to watch!

Alexander Makedon
AlekcandarMakedoncki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct if i am wrong, but wasnt Philip very battleworn? Didnt he walk with a limp and have scars on his face. if that is philip where is all of that???
AlekcandarMakedoncki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another point is that why are they wearing white robes with gold all over their costumes...wasnt the royal colors at that purple??? that seems very romanesque.correct me if i am wrong
kida_greenleaf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlekcandarMakedoncki wrote:
another point is that why are they wearing white robes with gold all over their costumes...wasnt the royal colors at that purple??? that seems very romanesque.correct me if i am wrong

You're not completely wrong, just a little mixed up. Wink Purple (esp. Royal Purple) did not become the color of western royalty until the Roman Empire. So the lack of purple in these pictures isn't completely off.
alexander makedon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kida_greenleaf wrote:
You're not completely wrong, just a little mixed up. Wink Purple (esp. Royal Purple) did not become the color of western royalty until the Roman Empire. So the lack of purple in these pictures isn't completely off.

Actually he is right and wrong in the same time. Purple was the royal color of the Macedonian kings as Curtius relates, and not only of them but also of the Phrygian king Midas. The purple is also associate with the Phoenicians and Tyre especially. The Romans borrowed this from others. To answer the earlier question, you can not expect a Macedonian king to wear purple all the time. He did so during royal functions, but it is acceptable that white would be his color at the court.

Alexander Makedon
Salonika

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal purple is the colour used by the royals of macedonia, the roman's used it in the senate, usually the senator that are most high in stature ' toga ', but there are ancient source pointing out thia about the royal macedonians. Purple was hard to find in that time, i think it was made from sea sheels, well something to do with that, it was expensive. The royal colour of the macedonians was purple not red, navy blue, brown, or white. And besides the movie cannot be that accurate it's just a movie.
kida_greenleaf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know!
alexander makedon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Stobi near modern Veles there was a workshop discovered for dyeing of purple cloth.

Alexander Makedon
Sotiris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]2500 years of Macedonian continuation[/img]
Sotiris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2500 years of Macedonian continuation

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes Laughing
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
I have never noticed it
Jebbu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't qoute me on this but I am sure I remember reading somewhere that Alexander wore purple robes once he got to Egypt and his men were confused as to why he would do this. He explained that it was a sign of respect to the people of that country because thats the colour thier king usually wore, and on the same note he also respected the gods that they worshipped. A bit like the saying "When in Rome....."
dynamo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
correct if i am wrong, but wasnt Philip very battleworn? Didnt he walk with a limp and have scars on his face. if that is philip where is all of that???

Yes you are right he suffered at the hands of the Agrians or Tharicans or someone in the mountains.

There is a close up pic of Farrell and Kilmer somewhere where we discussed this already and you can see he only has 1 eye.
dynamo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes you are right he suffered at the hands of the Agrians or Tharicans or someone in the mountains.

There is a close up pic of Farrell and Kilmer somewhere where we discussed this already and you can see he only has 1 eye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: