Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Book: RESPONSES TO OLIVER STONE'S ALEXANDER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ixtlan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: New Book: RESPONSES TO OLIVER STONE'S ALEXANDER Reply with quote

Dear All,

We hope you're all well. We wanted to let you know the good news that the book "Responses to Oliver Stone's Alexander - Film, History, Cultural Studies" Edited by Paul Cartledge and Fiona Rose Greenland (University of Wisconsin Press) is finally out!

The book is comprised of about a dozen essays about the movie by leading Alexander scholars around the world. Oliver wrote the Afterward, responding to these various points of view.

We'd love to hear your feedback on the book, so please feel free to post questions and reactions here. We greatly appreciate your continued support and interest in all things Alexander.

The book is available on Amazon and below is a blurb.

Our very best always,
Suzie and the Ixtlan team

"A very successful contribution to the burgeoning subsector of classical scholarship dealing with the modern cinematic treatment of the classics." - James S. Romm, editor of Alexander the Great: Selections from Diodorus, Plutarch, Quintus Curtius, and Arrian"

The charismatic Alexander the Great of Macedon (356-323 B.C.E.) was one of the most successful military commanders in history, conquering Asia Minor, Egypt, Persia, central Asia, and the lands beyond as far as Pakistan and India. Alexander has been, over the course of two millennia since his death at the age of thirty-two, the central figure in histories, legends, songs, novels, biographies, and, most recently, films. In 2004 director Oliver Stone's epic film "Alexander" generated a renewed interest in Alexander the Great and his companions, surroundings, and accomplishments, but the critical response to the film offers a fascinating lesson in the contentious dialogue between historiography and modern entertainment. This volume brings together an intriguing mix of leading scholars in Macedonian and Greek history, Persian culture, film studies, classical literature, and archaeology - including some who were advisors for the film - and includes an afterword by Oliver Stone discussing the challenges he faced in putting Alexander's life on the big screen. The contributors scrutinize Stone's project from its inception and design to its production and reception, considering such questions as: Can a film about Alexander (and similar figures from history) be both entertaining and historically sound? How do the goals of screenwriters and directors differ from those of historians? How do Alexander's personal relationships - with his mother Olympias, his wife Roxane, his lover Hephaistion, and others - affect modern perceptions of Alexander? Several of the contributors also explore reasons behind the film's tepid response at the box office and subsequent controversies.
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the book some time ago and I'm reading it.
It's a good idea to comment on it here.

Oh, I'm so HAPPY to find out that this fantastic forum still exists! Very Happy
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of you get the book?
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joanna!!!!!

I didn't get the book but I'll look for it. What a long time ago it was that we all hung out here.

Best wishes to you xx
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Catherine X,
it's so nice to be here again...YOU and ME!?

Hello, where's everybody?
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ladies Bad news for you I am still here I just have not posted in such a long time. I am going to hellas this summer for 23 days. I hope to hear from some of the old timers again.
Alita

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I'm here too! I haven't visited the site in months and it's great to see some activity. Interesting book and I may be tempted to buy it next time I'm in Borders... assuming I ever finish The Lord of the Rings which is on my nightstand right now. And - er, about 5 other books that sit on top of it...
Chiliarch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are quite a lot of people out there more than willing to discuss the movie and the book, who can't register at the board. Please do something about this. It is such a shame for a review and a discussion about this book, and in connection with it, the movie, to not take place because of technicalities. Both Alexander and 'Alexander' have a lot of followers, only, we are a mixed lot, spread over several groups and fora, but perhaps this will be the forum in which we will all be able to meet up.

He deserves it - they, who made the movie deserves it.
Sikander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Latest Book Reply with quote

I am looking forward to your discussions. I have read some interesting reviews of the book elsewhere but am interested in what members on this board will say.

Regards,
Sikander
Savanna

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing the book brought up was that no one writing about the film has really tackled the challenge of interpreting the dance Bagoas performs in India! Any ideas about what the dance represents to Alexander?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: