Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is Cleopatra or is that just Valerio Massimo Manfredi?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Other Cast Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynamo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Where is Cleopatra or is that just Valerio Massimo Manfredi? Reply with quote

If anyone has read The Alexander Trilogy by Massimo Manfredi will know that Alexander had a sister. I'm wondering whether she really did exist and if so why is she not in the film. She's meant to be a stunner so it may just give th film a bit more!! Question Question
SammyOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I think I remember reading somewhere that he did have a sister called Cleopatra...I think it says it in Robin Lane Fox but I might be wrong...I'll look it up! Very Happy
mahesh cummins

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Cleopatra Reply with quote

The name Cleopatra seems to have been fairly common in Macedonia. When most people think about Cleopatra, they are thinking about Cleopatra VII. She was a member of the dynasty that Ptolomy founded in Egypt after Alexander's death. Her time was about three centuries after Alexander.

I'm not certain but Alexander's sister was very young when he went to Asia.
dynamo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i'm pretty sure that in the three sources I looked at I've found there have been references to Cleoopatra. She married ALexander's uncle or something.
I'm basing this mainly on support from a novel and I'm not 100% sure of the fact in it but if you want check it out. It's Massimo's books and he is a historian / journalist / archeologist so I think that he is a safe source.
SammyOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The famous Macedonian Cleopatra was a noblewoman who married Philip...it was Cleopatra's uncle Attalus who said something like 'let's pray for an heir of pure Macedonian blood to be born to Philip and Cleopatra'. it's in plutarch quite early on. Alexander's mum was from Epirus so he wasnt pure bred in some people's eyes. i still think Alex did hav a sister called cleopatra tho...ive been a bit busy so havent looked it up yet but i will once i got some time! Very Happy
dynamo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no Eurydice was Phillip's wife who's wedding Attalus said that at. She was the one who died just after King Phillip as well as her son. Effectively this sealed the throne for Alexander as well.
SammyOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - no honestly look in Plutarch's Alexander.9...it says...

'The most open quarrel was provoked by Attalus on the occassion of Philip's wedding to Cleopatra, a young woman whom Philip had married after falling in love with her when she was still a girl despite being past the age for such things. Attalus was Cleopatra's uncle, and he drunkenly called on the Macedonians to pray to the gods for a legitimate heir to the throne to be born of Philip and Cleopatra.'

Wink Very Happy Wink
Vasilios

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a damn soap opera, lol.

Alexander supposedly yells at Attlus after the toast, 'What about me you blackguard? I'am a ****?' Then they proceed to throw their goblets at each other, and then God only knows what he tells his father, where he even pulls a dagger on him ! LMAO.

What about Alexander's half brothers claim to the thrown? Arrideus the retard Laughing Sorry, I cannot contain myself.
dynamo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected.
dynamo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you drive home your point. Beating a very very dead horse perhaps??? See my penultimate post.
SammyOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What a damn soap opera, lol.

Alexander supposedly yells at Attlus after the toast, 'What about me you blackguard? I'am a ****?' Then they proceed to throw their goblets at each other, and then God only knows what he tells his father, where he even pulls a dagger on him ! LMAO.

What about Alexander's half brothers claim to the thrown? Arrideus the retard Sorry, I cannot contain myself.

LOL Laughing Laughing Laughing Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Very Happy

Arrideus can't have been that much of a threat...Alexander didn't kill him!
Vasilios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammyOne wrote:
Arrideus can't have been that much of a threat...Alexander didn't kill him!

Of course course not, Alexander treats him with respect/differently throughout. Knowing obviously his condition, heh.
dynamo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not like anyone would have supported a coup for a halfwit anyway. Alexanders half brothers (and i'm pretty sure he had some of them) would have posed a greater threat but I think that one of them was happy as a prince and pledged his allegience to ALexander directly after Phillips death.
SammyOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its not like anyone would have supported a coup for a halfwit anyway

Very true...especially compared to what they had in Alexander.

Quote:
Alexanders half brothers (and i'm pretty sure he had some of them) would have posed a greater threat but I think that one of them was happy as a prince and pledged his allegience to ALexander directly after Phillips death.

I think your thinking about the Lycestian brothers...two of which died and the other of which (Alexander the Lycestian) paid homage to Alexander and was initially spared. I dont think they were half-brothers coz I think they came from Upper Macedonian nobilty rather than the Temeid lineage (Philip and Alex). I hav just written a paper on it so thats how I know...not normally such a smart ***! Very Happy
dynamo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice what'd you write your paper for???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Other Cast Members All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: