Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander's Generals
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Knight Who Says Ni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Alexander's Generals Reply with quote

Hey folks,

New to the forum here -

I haven't found any reference (yet) as to who will be playing Alexander's generals, like Parmenio (a pretty important fellow) Craterus, Perdiccas, etc. Can anyone point me to a full cast list (or just tell me, heh)

One quick aside - I've seen Parmenio spelled "Parmenion" also ... which is correct (or are they both correct)?

Thanks!

Ni
SammyOne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - look on the homepage Wink ...Antony Hopkins is playing Ptolemy, Rory McCann is playing Craterus and Ian Beattie is playing Antiginous. Not all of the notable generals have been cast I dont think!

I always write Parmenio but they are both right I think?!? I'm probably wrong...it varys between academics, don't know if there's a standard or anything, sorry not much help! Very Happy
Knight Who Says Ni

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SammyOne wrote:
LOL - look on the homepage Wink ...Antony Hopkins is playing Ptolemy, Rory McCann is playing Craterus and Ian Beattie is playing Antiginous. Not all of the notable generals have been cast I dont think!

I always write Parmenio but they are both right I think?!? I'm probably wrong...it varys between academics, don't know if there's a standard or anything, sorry not much help! Very Happy

heh, thanks - I saw the page but completely missed Craterus ... I still think it's odd that Craterus is mentioned but Parmenio isn't

KwsN
Tino

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ni!
Zerathis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Here's your answers: Reply with quote

First: Permenion/Permenio
It's a matter of preference. Through time, and translation, names get lost. Like Alexander being latinized, whereas Alexandros was the Greek form.

Also, why he's not in the movie:
Parmenion was left beyond on the eastern side of Persis, so it's likely that this movie, which will probably center more on the conquest of Persia, would have the bulk of its story after Parmenion left Alexander's conquering party. Also, after Philotas was involved in a conspiracy to kill Alexander, Parmenion was executed, as Macedonian laws decreed.
Zerathis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:56 am    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

I made a common mistake (common for me) in the above post. Permenion was left near the western border of Persis, not eastern.
Jebbu

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Parmenion is not in the film I will be most dissapointed Sad
sarissa

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how they can make a movie about Alexander without including Parmenion. He was the greatest general to his time and Alexander may have not been that great without him as Parmenion half won all the battles he was on. Also, without Parmenion supporting the young Alexander right after Philip's death, it is highly likely that he would never be the king.

Without Parmenion (as a major character), the movie will be aweful in my opinion.
Zerathis

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not Parmenion was important to Alexander isn't the question; we all know that the things he did under both Phillip and Alexander were great. The problem would be the setting of the movie. These are my thoughts:

We see in the cast of main characters that they don't include Philotas, which makes me think (considering how important Philotas himself was to Alexander's campaign) that the movie takes place after the assassination attempt on Alexander's life that was blamed partly on Philotas. Unfortunately for Parmenion, who was Philotas' father, according to Macedonian customs, the family of a traitor was also killed, and that included Parmenion. So Alexander sent back some of his messengers to execute Parmenion. If, then, Parmenion were in this movie after that assassination attempt, then that would obviously be inaccurate to history, and we all know that accuracy is vital when dealing ancient history (Troy's butchering of the accounts of the Trojan War come to mind).
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philotas is apparently being played by Joseph Morgan.
dynamo

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War cry of the director of TROY

"Death, destruction and modernisation of the Illiad so that the missguided masses are even more misguided!!!!"

That is what really pisses me off about films. Just becasue they are films they are hard to disentangle fact from fiction! And some films have become popular history! It makes me sick Mad Mad
shakermaker

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parmenion is in the film and is being played by the irish actor John Kavanagh who was previously in Mel Gibson's "Braveheart".
Jebbu

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, now we can all relax Cool Very Happy
Ammon

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Yes, lets relax on that one... I was getting worried that several important characters were going to be omitted, and the movie would be horribly inaccurate. However it seems info on who's playing who is still trickling out.... anyone heard about Antipater, Kalanus, the Egyptian Pharoah, Sisygambus, and the rest of the Darius clan yet or is Mr. Stone still his usual tight-lipped self Question
Jebbu

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask from where does such information trickle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: