Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MACEDONIAN ETYMOLOGY OF FILM CHARACTERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ptolemy V

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW Mac Lion, you are of course entitled to your interpretation of the name "Macedonia" - it just doesn't mean that the other interpretation is incorrect.
Rhemy

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac Lion

whats that ? a new sandwich ?
Vecchiolarry

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:21 am    Post subject: Endangered Lions Reply with quote

Hi Rhemy,
Very Happy You're so funny!!!!!
Mac Lion - a new sandwich..... Confused
I can see lions all over the world running for cover, screaming, "Look what they did to the bloody cows, now they're going to market us!!!!!! Shocked
Good one......
Larry
ChristianMacedon

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mac Lion

Laughing Laughing good one Laughing Laughing
dynamo

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BTW Mac Lion, you are of course entitled to your interpretation of the name "Macedonia" - it just doesn't mean that the other interpretation is incorrect.

You managed to condense what I was trying to say into a short sentence good on yah.
Macedonian lion

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You yourself say this is the meaning that is accepted in the "West":

So, i didnt said it is a correct one, ...

Quote:
Hmmm, I don't think a "tall person" means prima facie "racial" difference. Neither does "highlander" of itself imply "linguistic" or "cultural" difference. That is your simply your interpretation and spin on the etymology (because you are looking for it to mean something different).

Yea i see, if one tribe is taller than other, and they even say this by naming that tribe TALL PEOPLE, they are racially Question EQUAL, Question although they are taller. So if one tribe is white and other black, they are of same origin, if one tribe is taller and other smaller, they are also of same racial origin.

Of course higlander means, "tribe that is very similar to us, we can understand his language and has the same culture" and that is why we named them highlanders.

Quote:

Ha, if it wasnt so patheticaly sad, i would probably laugh. Have you heard of a movie "Look Who's Talking" with John Travolta?
Ptolemy V

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macedonian lion wrote:
Quote:
You yourself say this is the meaning that is accepted in the "West":

So, i didnt said it is a correct one, ...?

So now you are the authority who determines what is correct or not? On what basis - your predetermined agenda and beliefs? You show keep in mind that there is another standpoint which holds considerable weight in the historical academic and archeological community. Do not assume that you hold the correct position.

Macedonian lion wrote:
[Yea i see, if one tribe is taller than other, and they even say this by naming that tribe TALL PEOPLE, they are racially Question EQUAL, Question although they are taller. So if one tribe is white and other black, they are of same origin, if one tribe is taller and other smaller, they are also of same racial origin.

Of course higlander means, "tribe that is very similar to us, we can understand his language and has the same culture" and that is why we named them highlanders.

These interpretations are yours, not mine. So do not put your words in my mouth. The fact is that many scholars accept the view that the name "Makedon" derives from the etymology mentioned. Do not be so arrogant as to dismiss their views simply because it doesn't fit your view of the world.

"Highlander" or "Tall people" is not as clear cut as "white or black". Greeks lived in many places during ancient times - from the islands of the Aegean, Sicily, Crete, Cyprus, the shores of the Black Sea and the Italian (Neapolis, etc) and French coasts (Masilia) to the mountains of the Peloponnese, Epirus and the Pindus. To attribute an ethnical or linguistic attribute to the term "Highlander" without any further proofs is simply speculating - the fact that people live on an island, the coast, a plain or a mountain range does equate to ethnicity or culture per se.

Macedonian lion wrote:

Ha, if it wasnt so patheticaly sad, i would probably laugh. Have you heard of a movie "Look Who's Talking" with John Travolta?

So who are you to insultingly tell me what or what not to say - are you the source of truth on these matters? Maybe I should be laughing at you - afterall, where is your etymology for the ancient Macedonian names? Will you trot out Donski's etymology as your proof that they are not Greek?

Accept the fact that there are people out there, not just Greeks, who see clear evidence of the Hellenic roots of the ancient Macedonians. Yes, unfortunately for you there is another viewpoint which holds great weight.

By the way, no I haven't seen the John Travolta movie - but I have heard of the upcoming Alexander movie that will be released in November this year... hope your ideology is not hurt too much when you see it.
ChristianMacedon

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hope your ideology is not hurt too much when you see it.

it's just a movie, if you wait for it to tell you the truth then i have no comment. Movie=Entertainment Laughing
Ptolemy V

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristianMacedon wrote:
Quote:
hope your ideology is not hurt too much when you see it.

it's just a movie, if you wait for it to tell you the truth then i have no comment. Movie=Entertainment Laughing

Yes it is just a movie - but I bet the attitude of some people would be one of extreme adulation if one Aleksandr Donski was the historical adviser instead of Robin Lane Fox.
ChristianMacedon

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I bet the attitude of some people would be one of extreme adulation if one Aleksandr Donski was the historical adviser instead of Robin Lane Fox.

maybe if AD studied and is teaching at Oxford you never know Wink Laughing .
Ptolemy V

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristianMacedon wrote:
maybe if AD studied and is teaching at Oxford you never know Wink Laughing .

Yeah, well, he spends most of his time postulating about UFO's:

http://www.virtuallystrange.net/ufo/updates/2003/apr/m18-003.shtml

I suppose, for him "the truth is out there" in an "X Files" kind of way.
ChristianMacedon

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suppose, for him "the truth is out there" in an "X Files" kind of way.

there is no need to insult him.
dynamo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem.

Interesting peice of etymology that i'm sure all of you know:

Barbarian= from the Latin (I think) and it is a humorous insult towards the language of the Celts, Britons, Gauls, and Goths whom the Romans thourght had a language that sounded like sheep gouing "Baa"!!!

Thats humor! Wink [/u]
Lala

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barbarian = ΒΑΡΒΑΡΟΣ (varvaros in Ancient Greek & Modern Greek) = Greek, not Latin.
dynamo

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that it was an ancient culture. A lot of the time Greek and Roman culture and myths etc etc over lap and intertwine so some people can say that it was one when it was the other. Anyway much of what is Roman was Greek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: