Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Rosario Dawson
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sufi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Looks Reply with quote

Well I hope she's a good actress, because she doesn't look Iranian (or from that area) at all. At least from the photos I've seen.
cnm72

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Iranian women have dark features & golden complexions

and

Rosario Dawson has dark features and a golden complexion

do not split hairs... I think she is a refreshing addition to the cast
eryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Persian and I can't agree with you that Iranian women have dark features & golden complexions. It depends on the province where people reside. There are all variations of dark, light, blond hair and skin. In the northern regions of Iran, people normally have light colored hair and skin. And in the south, they tend to dark hair and skin.

The most funny thing is that Roxane (Roshanak) was not dark. She like alexander had a light skin and colored hair. But that's not importen.

http://www.iranchamber.com/history/roxane/roxane.php

For more correct information about Persia visit:
http://www.iranchamber.com
cnm72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eryan...

I did not know what Roxane was from so I did not mean to offend with that comment... apologies

none the less, what actor truly looks like any character that they portray... did you hear what Charlize Therton went through to portray the lead in monster? it's pretty neat actually - http://www.monsterfilm.com/

does the color of Collins skin & dyeing his hair really make him look like Alexander?

perhaps they will find a way to make Rosario look like Roxane... but more then that hopefully her acting skills will have us see behind her appearance and make us feel the character and for a few moments Roxane will be brought back to life...

Smile
cnm72

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Iran Chamber Society link is great... thanx for that info Very Happy
Faribortz

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

I was also wondering as an Iranian of Persian origin, what the motivation behind Ms Rosario Dawson's being cast for the part of a Sogdian Iranian Princess? Nothing whatsoever against Ms Dawson at all, I think she is very beautiful, however, her being cast as Roxsanne is equivical to casting for example, Jackie Chan as Alexander. Her looks originate from a completely different continent than Roshanak's (Roxsanna's).

It has no historical base, Sogdian Iranians (todays Caucasian Tajiks) are fair of skin, hair and eyes.

With Regards,

Faribortz
dr.sam

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad sad sad. How in the world they casted her to play Roxana. As one of you mentioned she is beautiful but a Persian.....lol. Persians are an Aryan race, even now that they have been mixed throughout the years with GREEKS, Arabs, Mongolians .... you still would probobly have 0.001% of Iranians or Persians looking like her. Specially back then when there was less of a mixing ms. Dawson was an awful choice. you have a much better chance of finding a natrual blonde with blue eyes in the streets of Iran today than finding someone looking like her. Most Persians however look like southern Mediteranians with a variety of light skin to olive but rarely to never golden.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr.sam wrote:
sad sad sad. How in the world they casted her to play Roxana. As one of you mentioned she is beautiful but a Persian.....lol. Persians are an Aryan race, even now that they have been mixed throughout the years with GREEKS, Arabs, Mongolians .... you still would probobly have 0.001% of Iranians or Persians looking like her. Specially back then when there was less of a mixing ms. Dawson was an awful choice. you have a much better chance of finding a natrual blonde with blue eyes in the streets of Iran today than finding someone looking like her. Most Persians however look like southern Mediteranians with a variety of light skin to olive but rarely to never golden.
I don't mean any offence to anyone with this comment - but what did Persians look like 2000+ years ago? I honestly don't know the answer hence the question. As far as I was taught, blond hair is quite unique on this planet and only originated in Scandanavia, with black hair being the worlds most predominant colour (still true today). I can honestly say that watching the news on television I have never seen a blond Iranian or Iraqi. A weak view I know but that's all I have got to go on.
dr.sam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to offend you either but that is indeed a weak view. First of all god knows how many times us Persians have to say this but there is a BIG difference between Iraqis and Iranians. Iraqis are Arabs , Iranians are Persians.

Secondly, it is very easy to scientifically figure out how anyone looked even thousands of years ago. Its done all the time even for prehistoric man. And it certainly can and HAS been done for an empire with as much history and as big as the Greeks and the Romans. As I mentioned Iraninans came from an Aryan race this is a proven fact and the least this can tell us is that Roxana was not black Smile . But we know what Iranians looked like back then anyway, they looked like an Iranian today only lighter (ON AVERAGE).

regarding the television, this is not an accurate way at all to realize what a country is like and even what the people look like, as we have a variety of looks in Iran depending on which part one is from, but I doubt you ever see an Iranian even taday which has Ms. Dawson's complection even on TV.

Regarding Iranian BLONDES, there are fair skinned and light colored hair Iranians in the north and west of the country. I see blonde Iranians every day because my family is all of that complection. But the majority have brown or black hair, to see what an "average Iranian" looks like one can see "the House of Sand and Fog" the Persian lady who plays in that movie is a typical looking Iranian. She is not blonde but she certainly is not Golden either.

Remember we were not talking about Iranian blondes , the subject is tht ms. Dawson is a very very bad choice of casting for Roxana. Its as bad as casting Densel Washington for Alexander the Great. Would you have not have a problem with that or think well, one can't really say what a Macedonian looked like back then ? This is for the sake of the historical accuracy of the movie , otherwise all the races are beautiful specially ms. Dawson.

CHEERS
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davood wrote:
You have offended me and every Persian by comparing us with Araqi or any other arab race. The arab roots are from Africa. THATS BESIDES THE POINT. There was no Araq/ Iraq a Century ago, let alone 2000 years, It was all Mesopatamia, Persian land, until the 'savage muslim arabs' invaded Persia.
Read my post again, my intention wasn't to offend anyone and as you've just stated, it was all Mesopatamia 2000 years ago anyway.
Rhemy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm...................

well, when i worked with an Iranian for the first time (Bahrom) , i could not believe he was from IRAN because i associated people from that region as similar to eachother...........i was wrong.

True they have fair hair that sometimes looks like golden filigree and its very thin & straight.

Rosario Dawson is a good actress ;she should not have any disparaging remarks by confrontation. she was cast and she accepted and thats that.

we imagine Iranians as dark comlexion similar to arabs with black hair because we assume that it being somewhere between Iraq & Afghan, Pakistan the oucome would be the same - WRONG

i mean would anyone ever think that this girl was afghan before a picture was taken............
Rhemy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i dig that site davood
Rhemy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the point , but still what can i do about it and what can anyone do about it'; refuse to watch the movie because she is unpersian ?

perhaps make-up in this film, makes he Whiter .

and saying that will smith is very talented is not a good comparisin to talent; had you said Denzel Washington i would have agreed
Faribortz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iranian population is as it was 2000 years ago, that is a proven fact. Our genetic heritage is from the Elamite, Assyrian, Babylonian, Kassite and Hurrian mixed with Iranic medians and Persians. There were people on the Iranian plateau before the Iranics arrived. the Iranics were civilised by these people. The Iranics intermarried with these people and created the Iranians 2000 years ago and today. Our appearance was as varied then as it is today, from blonde blue eyed to dark southern caucasian.

The arabs had VERY minimum bearing on our genetics as with mongols. Their numbers were far too small in comparison to the residing populations of Iran.

Kevin, you have probably never seen an Iranian with light complexion or looks because you would not think they are Iranian if you ever see one.
Faribortz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davood, where do you get this fallacious information that Persians and other Iranics were from Northern Europe? That is a Nazi lie. Iranics formed in Central Asia between, the caspian and Aral Seas.

Here is a little bit of interesting reading for you guys, written by an American in Iran in the 50s.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5646/splendor1.html
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Rosario Dawson All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: