Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Script
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard (having never read the books) the Bogoas side posted here http://forum.alexander-the-great.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=79 borrows heavily from Mary Renault's books. But apparently Mel Gibson owns the rights to the books so who knows...
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also read somewhere that the movie is going to be based on Robin Lane Fox's book "Alexander the Great".
Rhemy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It dont really matter either book or script; Directors r Directors
and they want the movie to do well & make millions, possibly sweeping some Oscars, Baftas.......etc.

if he read the books/scripts, as everyone, he imagined, he pictured; when he translated his visual to the crew, he wanted it done as he had imagined, as thay all do.

Sometimes, to add to their eccentricness, they contradict their own self.

Eg. when filming they use polaroids to preserve continuity. one director was sure he did not film a shot with, say , a cape with a certain type of knot, however when a DP assistant produced the polaroid to prove the director wrong, he still insisted that its wrong
Salonika

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that oliver stone wrote his own script ,but used references from other biographies, because duiring production he keeps on changing scenes, so he is following his own script and changing it when he see's fit.
maryp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an interview with Oliver Stone.. not specifically about Alexander (I don't know the date of the interview, but it is not really recent)..but I'm sure it applies to how he developed the script for Alexander:
Quote:
How do you research a movie? Is it like research for a book?

You get researchers to highlight as much as possible for you, if you can afford it. You do the key reading. I had two co-writers on Nixon who knew about Nixon, but I read the key books myself too, just so that I had a sense of it. Essentially, learning all the positions. But then you have to let go, you must make the leap. Once you've done your homework you have to write the essay. It's like going to school. You follow your intuition based on the research.

You pick and choose. Historians do too, but they deny that they make choices.

Well, that was a point made not by me but by Hayden White in Tropics of Discourse. He just makes the point that in narrative histories there are too many facts for any historian to deal with, and there's a natural selection of omission that goes on. I study history in order to give an interpretation. There are just too many facts to include in any historical work, if you have it all before you. I am not trying to be a historian and a dramatist; I'm a dramatist, a dramatic historian, or one who does a dramatic interpretation of history.

maryp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to the above interview:
http://globetrotter.berkeley.edu/Stone/stone-con0.html

Looks like the date is 1997
mOoK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to read some part of the real script??? Question
Salonika

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maryp you answered it, it is based on oliver stones research, he wrote the script, from different biographies and historians. So it isn't based on any biography....
maryp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.. I read another "blurb" the other day that siad that he was going to imply that Alexander was "poisoned by his own generals".
The source seemed more like rumor than fact.. not so much about him going with that ending ..but some of the other implications..so I didn't post it. Sad
Ntinos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if all these historic movies get a licence from the relative countries of origin to be produced bc if they do they should follow some certain scripts and not anything they like e.g if someone wrote that alexander killed kids and women and Oliver decides to show that then what happens?
maryp

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that unless it's a "documentary" they can do anything they want. It's really Oliver Stone's version of history.. he can take a chance and change it as much as he wants.. and face the rath of those who want a very factual movie.

I don't expect for movies to be totally factual..unless it says that it's a documentary.

I don't expect this one to be totally factual either..but I can enjoy it anyway.

Real history buffs will probably have a problem with it. Wink
Salonika

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not have a problem withit but it looks like oliver stone is the one who wrote the script and that he is potraying the ancient macedonians as hellenes, it doean't matter to me i will watch the movie anyway, it will be a good epic and entertainment can't wait, and this is a web site were angelina jolie speaks about the movie alexander she is on the front cover of the march edition of vougue:
http://www.fast-lane-productions.com/msgread.asp?MessageID=32337&BoardType=NORMAL
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salonika, tut, tut. That has already been posted in the news section of the site: http://www.alexander-the-great.co.uk/news.htm Wink
Salonika

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry kevin, i didn't check it out i was tut tutin, that's my exscuse.lol Laughing
herod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ntinos wrote:
i wonder if all these historic movies get a licence from the relative countries of origin to be produced bc if they do they should follow some certain scripts and not anything they like e.g if someone wrote that alexander killed kids and women and Oliver decides to show that then what happens?

Requiring such a license would be censorship and a violation of free speech.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: