Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander the Great - Places worth visiting.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Alexander the Great - Places worth visiting. Reply with quote

Thessaloniki, or Salonica, the capital of the Greek province of Makedonia (in Northern Greece) which is part of the ancient kingdom governed by Phillip II and Alexander the Great is definately worth visiting as far as the rich history of Alexander the Great is concerned. So after seeing the movie all these places might actually mean something and be more interesting! Smile

Pella (Alexander's birthplace) -- Pela was the capital of Makedonia for Phillip and Alexander from around 338 BC. This is where Euripides produced his plays and where Aristotle tutored young Alexander. The city was destroyed by the Romans in 146 BC and was only located in 1957! This is still an active archeological site with a museum of finds, including some mosaic floors.

Vergina (or Veryuna, Philip's palace and tomb) --Manolus Andronikos found Vergina in the 1970s! This was probably Aigai, the capital of Makedonia before Phillip moved it to Pella. The site consists of royal tombs and palaces with the richest finds in Greek archeology since the discovery of Mycenea. This is probably the location where Phillip II was assasinated.

Lefkadhia -- Aristotle's school where he taught young Alexander is thought to be in the area of Lefkadhia. This site also has several tombs.

Thessaloniki also has an excellent archeological museum with very interesting artefacts from the same period. By the way, there is a magnificent statue of Alexander the Great in the Harbour of Thesaloniki near the "White Tower". Smile

Makedonia became a Roman province in 146 BC. The remains of the Roman agora are still being excavated in Platia Dhikastirion.

Another Roman artifact is the Arch of Galerius, built to commorate the Emperor Garerius' victories; the remains of his palace are another partially excavated archeological site. The Ayia Sofia is an 8th century church modelled after the more famous cathedral in Constantinople. The Archeological Museum contains grave artifacts from Sindos, Hellenistic and Roman art, and some of the artifacts from the Royal Tombs of Macedonia.

So happy touring!!!! Smile
Vecchiolarry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Northern Greece Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,
Thanks Xenos, for the great insight into touring Northern Greece. I have been to Greece several times, but never to the Northern areas. Tourism doesn't really promote anything other than Athens and the Islands.
I'd love to see Pella and Thessaloniki.

By the way, Kevin - Where has Magika disappeared to? I miss her..

Larry
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Northern Greece Reply with quote

Vecchiolarry wrote:
By the way, Kevin - Where has Magika disappeared to? I miss her..
Larry
Same place everyone else who kept breaking the rules went, unfortunately. Crying or Very sad
vulgaren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shall visit Republic of Macedonia as well. Skopje is the capital of Macedonia and has a great museum. If you go to the Ancient part you will find remains of the Macedonian culture in the Hellenic times.
Swedish-Historian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You shall visit Republic of Macedonia as well. Skopje is the capital of Macedonia and has a great museum. If you go to the Ancient part you will find remains of the Macedonian culture in the Hellenic times.

Not to be annoying or anything is not your country called FYROM?

I thought you were not allowed to be called that because that name opposed to the greek area also called macedonia and it violated its history?
vulgaren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My country is called Republic of Macedonia and recognized temporarily as Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia.
I am a proud to be be Macedonian.
Hey - I read some sweedish newspapers and all of them mention Macedonia as Macedonia and not F... - you must be the only swede to...well - hate us Macedonians.
So it be - Long live Sven the Man - aka Errikson aka England Football!!!
Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swedish-Historian wrote:
Quote:

Not to be annoying or anything is not your country called FYROM?

I thought you were not allowed to be called that because that name opposed to the greek area also called macedonia and it violated its history?

Hear, hear! There is that very subtle yet important point called INTERNATIONAL LAW, and as we’re all part of the WORLD COMMUNITY, some people would do well to realise that they are not islands and should recognise reality.

The internationally recognised name and hence official term is F.Y.R.O.M so correctly pointed out by Swedishhistorian. Everything else is hot air. Sorry, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles Exclamation
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey "Vulgaren" what does this name (Vulgaren) mean?
ChristianMacedon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please no more nationalist debates.
Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely Exclamation Back to the topic at hand Smile
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink Smile
vulgaren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lala - vulgar...well I thought speaking with other people without seeing their face is quite vulgar...
KikiAziz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Alexander the Great - Places worth visiting. Reply with quote

Xenos wrote:

Pella (Alexander's birthplace) -- Pela was the capital of Makedonia for Phillip and Alexander from around 338 BC. This is where Euripides produced his plays and where Aristotle tutored young Alexander. The city was destroyed by the Romans in 146 BC and was only located in 1957! This is still an active archeological site with a museum of finds, including some mosaic floors.

This is my first post over here and so I hope you'll forgive the silly question which I am about to ask. Embarassed If I wanted to visit the exact birthplace of Alexander, what country would I be need to travel to? I understand that he was born in Pella, but is that in present-day Greece or in the present-day nation of Macedonia? Is Pella now called Thessaloniki, which would make it in Greece? I'm sorry I'm really confused about this, but I thought maybe someone over here would be able to help...
Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name Macedonia derives from the Ancient Greek word "makos" which is the Doric form of "mekos" meaning "length" or "height" and "makedos" or "makednos" which is a term for a tall man. As legend would have it, the ancient Macedonians were so tall that if they fell they could not stand up without help! Smile

Since the end of the Roman times, and for well over 2,000 years, Macedonia was never identified with specific and constant adminstrative or geographical borders. It was only late in the 19th century that the name “Macedonia” was used conventionally to denote the region of three Ottoman vilayets (provinces) namely of Thessaloniki, Monastir (present Bitola) and Uskub (present Skopje). By that time the region had become the bone of contention among various Balkan nationalities. By the 20th century, the name “Macedonia” was widely accepted as the geographical denomination for the region which more or less included the above three Ottoman provinces; not the region of the ancient Kingdom of Macedonia. So, at that time “Macedonia” had a geographical—not an ethnic nor administrative—connotation.

As a result of the Balkan wars of 1912-13, the region was liberated from Ottoman rule. The initial three allies—Bulgaria, Greece and Serbia—who had fought together against the Ottomans, shared parts of the region. In the end, Greece acquired the southern part, which included the entire Aegean littoral region, which approximately amounted to 51% of “geographical Macedonia”, and close to 90% of the ancient kingdom. About 38% reverted to Serbia (later Yugoslavia and F.Y.R.O.M), while Bulgaria was limited to 9%. A small strip of land west of the Prespa lake was later joined to the Albanian state.

Hope that answers your question. So if you want to see the birth place of Alexander, you'd have to visit Northern Greece. Check out the following link for more info Smile :

http://www.culture.gr/2/21/maps/macedon/pella/pella.html
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second the above post. It's accurate and correct.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: