Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Nature of Alexander

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slashersivi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: The Nature of Alexander Reply with quote

Definitely my favorite book about Alexander, I think it truly gives us exactly as the title says, his nature, rather than general misconceptions or a dry biography. Mary Renault also explained the intricacies of Greecian culture well, so that we can view Alexander from his own time, rather than judging him by the standards of today.

My biggest fear is that this movie will trample Renault's work and revert to the old myths about him, for the sake of profit. -.- Why couldn't they just take Homer and leave Alexander alone?
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Nature of Alexander Reply with quote

slashersivi wrote:
Why couldn't they just take Homer and leave Alexander alone?
Money?
vulgaren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think her books were something special.
GAVROS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: importand detail Reply with quote

For Vulgaren and for the others,

sorry My friend, but the book you purpose, You have read it?

If it is well written, and the author understands what he means, the title should be Bulgaria to bulgars Greece and Macedonia to Greeks acccording to me and history...

I know that it is a gordian knot for greeks and Slavo Macedonians; to admit or not that Macedonia first of all it's a greek root name and a greek root people. So my friend you have to know that when I read REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA in your description, i feel a bit nervous and crazy...

Simple proof: which language spoke Alexander? Greek...
What language do you spoke? A mix of Slavish Turkish and Gipsy...
When Macedonia broke in several parts between Slavs, Greeks, Bulgars?? Just after 7th century after JC....WHEN SLAVS ARRIVED IN BALKANS AFTER LEAVING RUSSIAN AND UKRAINIAN STEPS....

So of course there still are Macedonians in FYROM (Greeks in fact) but the whole mass of people living there are SLAVS mixed with the GRECO Macedonian culture centuries ago....

It's not only my point of vue, it is the reality. So please don't use the term Macedonian for describing your origin...Except if you are sure that you have a clean Macedonian (greek) origin.

Thank you
zipporah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are all these debates about Greece, Macedon, Macedonia and FYROM about? Not wanting to stir anything up but I feel stupid for not understanding why people are always ranting on about it Confused.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone wanting to enlighten zipporah please do so in a PM.

You should all know the rules by now - I've not been watching as much as I should lately but any further breaches will be dealt with as before (you will be kicked off).

Kevin.
kostas

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gavros is absolutely right! besides the movie history is history and peolple should not be confused and learn the real history!
vulgaren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Macedonian. Sorry I can do changa what I am.

But I will advice you all to go and read Brittanica and not presume things...here is an excerpt (I won't write on this subject any more):
vulgaren

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - I think this lead is going the wrong way - anyway you can lock it!
ChristianMacedon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev do you know the release date of this movie for England? I went to the movies two days ago and i saw a poster of Alexander for the first time Laughing
peritas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the nature of alexander"offers what is probably the best psychological profile of Alexander,and understanding of his personality.Others have offered morse extensive historical accounts,but Renault gives the best peronality profile
Ely

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered this book today, cant wait to read it, I'm currently reading " The Persian Boy"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: