Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexandar the great Unificator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulgaren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Alexandar the great Unificator Reply with quote

Alexandar's greatness is not in because he ruled the ancient world but the way he did it. He used his power and knowledge to unite the Hellenic people (whether they were Macedonian or Greek tribes) in order to build an Empire. He followed his dream of a Grand World Unification.

Just look at the British Empire - they learned a lot from him and instead of just ruling they offered their colonies their civilisation - but in the way they see it.

My point is that we (I am sure the director knew about this) should celebrate him as great unification and look forward to creation of a just and democratic European Union.

Therefore, Alexandar is the father of modern Europe which by 2012 will be made of up to 30 different nationalities. In other words if he was alive today he would't live in today's Greece or Macedonia but rather in Backingham Palace!
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. Not only he was a magnificent soldier; he was very intelligent and did much more than coquer places. He extended Greek culture everywhere and discovered many countries no one knew existed.

The western history would have been diferent if he hadn't existed. We all gotta be able to see the good things he did for us, not just the bad things (Eg. killing inocent people etc), that are otherwise "necessary" when conquering a country, and don't turn the conqueror into a brutal killer (at least, that's my opinion, and remember Alexander tried to kill the least possible). And also I think he didn't want just to battle, he was looking forward to getting to know the different cultures in the world. And in my point of view, he respected them when he could. He wanted to learn everything his mind could assume. I think this is a virtue.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you.
However please be aware that his kingdom was Hellenic made up of many different tribes, not only Greek, esspecialy himself being a Macedonian.
He wanted to unite the people and he did in suca a magnificient way!
Swedish-Historian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i have been taught all my life here in Sweden is that macedonains were indeed a greek tribe?

has there ever been any doubt?????? Rolling Eyes
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only by the FYROmians.
Swedish-Historian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well maybe just then. i have never heard any doubt about macedonians as not being other than greek?

in sweden when we talk about macedonia we talk about Greece, and if we talk about the other macedonia we FYROM or the swedish ppl call them former yugoslavs.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesen't long to be a racist isn't - You are not Sweedish because I have a lot of Sweedish friends and they know who and where is Macedonia aka Republic of Macedonia.
Sweden is an open minded country by far exciding your perspective.
I am proud to be what I most certanly am - Macedonian from Republic of Macedonia
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulgaren wrote:
I agree with you.
However please be aware that his kingdom was Hellenic made up of many different tribes, not only Greek, esspecialy himself being a Macedonian.
He wanted to unite the people and he did in suca a magnificient way!

Yes. I think Alexander was very proud to be a Macedonian, but his father, well... he thought it would be better for him if he were a little like the Greek people. That's why he brought Aristotheles (is it written that way??) to be his teacher and "mentor". He didn't want the Greeks to call his son a "barbarian" like they called him. But, otherwise, I don't think why they should be "barbarians". I think that some Greeks (and most Romans, also) considered everyone beyond their borthers inferior than them, and felt that their culture was the only one worthy for the human race. This kind of thought has survived even until today, and this is one of the many reasons for the conquests & discoverings in the Modern Age. I think all the mediterreneans have a bit of that feeling... the feeling created by centuries of glory and democracy.

Macedonia is now very attached to Greece thanks to Alexander and his power for unification.

I also think that Sweden is an open minded country(and an European country!, should I add...) and I can't understand why people in this continent can still think like that. Maybe you were not touched by the "mediterranean heritage", but I can tell u that vulgaren is totally right.
(Just a friendly tip, hey Wink)

Kisses to everybody Laughing
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be whatever you believe, but Alexander the Great and his people were Greeks and their kingdom was called Macedonia.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not start another racial debate.
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's leave the Macedonian-Greek discussion for a while. It can create us problems.

What do u all say? Agree? Smile
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Methinks, dear Persians, that your entertainment has fallen short in nothing. We have set before you all that we had ourselves in store, and all that we could anywhere find to give you- and now, to crown the whole, we make over to you our sisters and our mothers, that you may perceive yourselves to be entirely honoured by us, even as you deserve to be- and also that you may take back word to the king who sent you here, that there was one man, a Greek, the satrap of Macedonia, by whom you were both feasted and lodged handsomely." So speaking, Alexander set by the side of each Persian one of those whom he had called Macedonian women, but who were in truth men. And these men, when the Persians began to be rude, despatched them with their daggers.

This Alexander was the grandfather of Alexander the Great.
Check the M.I.T. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) translation of the Ancient script: http://classics.mit.edu/Herodotus/history.5.v.html

After this, I agree with you Child of a Dream
Swedish-Historian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a swede and i am a NOT a rascist nor am i greek for that matter.
what i am is a graduate historian and an admirer of the greek culture, i am well read in the matter of Hellenic culture including Alexander and his kingdom. YES you have a small part of ancient macedonia in your country hence the word Macedonia in your name but you also have yugoslavic lands wich is about 60 % hence the namne former yugoslav.

I dont find it rascist to call you by your real name wich is indeed The Former Yugoslavic Republic Of Macedonia aka FYROM.
Macedonia to me is in modern Greece.
Greece has an golden opportunity to marketing Alexander now when the Olympics are being held in his mothercountry.

PS Kevin. as an historian i am not stating a debate however Alexander was greek or not... i am telling facts on that. Alexander is considered greek by historians period. so when saying that he was greek is like saying Queen Elisabeth II is English... which is correct.
The intersting thing is that when someone tells that he was not greek then we have something that we call in the scientific world as an "anomaly", anomaly means that you go against something that is seen as "normal" or scientific prroven.
so when ppl start saying he is not greek we have an anomaly. they are breaking the rules. they have then laid down a theory. in order to get the theory prooven, you must have evidence. evidence,is something that the ppl here who are claiming Alexander a descendant of a ppl who came in the 6th century to the balkans do not have. So by this i am not breaking the rules, just staing facts.

And it is scientific proven that the macedonians spoke a dialect of greek.
And it is prooven that the macedonians were a greek tribe.

End of Debate Confused
vulgaren

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Child and Kevin - Yeah, lets stop this arguing.
Funny though - He led such an army, ruled the world and look at it today.
People quarrel for some silly things - once I read that Alexandar was cursed on his deathbed.
Is there something called 'Alexanders Curse'?

ps - ElizabethII is Queen of Great Britain, Australia, Canada etc...more that Alexandar could ever dream, I am sorry to say.
MACEDONIC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh!!How nice, we ended comparing Alexander's kindom with Queen's Elizabeth. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: