Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is the best book about Alexandar?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulgaren

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Which is the best book about Alexandar? Reply with quote

Here in UK the best seller is Paul Cartledge and he is is very knowledgeable but most of all because he is not too polemical about certain issues that rise the pressure on this forum.

If Alexandar was alive today would he have been a Sadam or a Bush??? Not entirely sure after reading his book.
Unknown-x

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is the best book about Alexandar? Reply with quote

vulgaren wrote:

If Alexandar was alive today would he have been a Sadam or a Bush??? Not entirely sure after reading his book.

if Alexander was alive today (and read your post; not necessarily) he would kill himself at the next moment.

Alexander was fighting for glory not for money ... in nowadays world is a hunting of money ... great progress ...
MACEDONIC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither Voulgaren.... Confused Sorry but no comparison....

But really,what does Paul Cartledge has to say????
EPSILON

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is the best book about Alexandar? Reply with quote

vulgaren wrote:
Here in UK the best seller is Paul Cartledge and he is is very knowledgeable but most of all because he is not too polemical about certain issues that rise the pressure on this forum.

You are asking yourself something that no Hellin would ask!Alexander has no relation with these 2 as****es!
You are not Hellin!You are not Macedonian!You are Slavos!
You have no relation with ancient Hellas!
Alexia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Which is the best book about Alexandar? Reply with quote

vulgaren wrote:

George Bush controls people with fear. Sadam Hussein controls people with facism.

Alexander's source of power was the promise of glory.

There is no comparison here.

Besides, there is no way that Alexander would cheat the way that George Bush does or accept any glory that was not truly his. Also, Sadam became so insane that he tried to monitor his own research projects without really understanding what was going on and was totally dupped by his scientiest (hence how the US was able to get "proof" that there were weapons of mass destruction - documents that were forged to follow Sadam). Alexander always hired the best and the brightest and would never be as easily fooled as Sadam.

Get a new analogy.
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Which is the best book about Alexandar? Reply with quote

Alexia wrote:
vulgaren wrote:

George Bush controls people with fear. Sadam Hussein controls people with facism.

There is no comparison here.

Besides, there is no way that Alexander would cheat the way that George Bush does or accept any glory that was not truly his. Also, Sadam became so insane that he tried to monitor his own research projects without really understanding what was going on and was totally dupped by his scientiest (hence how the US was able to get "proof" that there were weapons of mass destruction - documents that were forged to follow Sadam). Alexander always hired the best and the brightest and would never be as easily fooled as Sadam.

Get a new analogy.

I couldn't have told it better Wink

Beautiful and true phrase Surprised
Spike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add that Bush controls people...because they vote for him.
And this shows that today, people with no charisma can be leaders as opposed to ancient times.
I don't think there is anyone alive worthy of comparison with Alexander.(Except for me of course Laughing Laughing )
Alexia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
I would also add that Bush controls people...because they vote for him.

This may be a little "off topic," sorry Kevin.

But I feel that I have to stand up for the majority of Americans who have a concious. We DID NOT vote for George W. Bush. HE IS NOT THE DULY ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. First, the popular vote was for Gore. Second, even with the recount, Gore won Florida. The supreme court made the decision, not the American people. Bush CHEATED. Bush STOLE the presidency. We are his hostages. The problems with the ballots in Florida were NOT the only problem. There were roadblocks in several southern and midwestern states that kept certain populations from voting - mostly black people. In Florida, a great number of people who had never commited a crime were listed as "felons" and removed from the voting registry. If Bush wins again, he will steal the vote again. Bush is not only a liar, he is rather unpopular with people who have brains. If Farenheit 9/11 has been released in your country, you should probably go see it. It is the closest thing to the truth that exists.

This is why I say that Bush controls with fear. We live in fear that he will manage to steal the election again (which I have to say that I expect). We live in fear that he is going to ruin our economy even more and further damage our relationships with other countries. We live in fear that he will actually be able to create the facist state he started with the patriot act. We live in fear that our children will grow up in poverty because of Bush and his friends' efforts to completely destroy the middle class.

These are things that Alexander would have never done. Any anaology of Alexander and Bush is way off course.
Nikas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best book about Alexander is by Arrian.
Megas Alexandros

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Alexander by Robin Lane Fox Reply with quote

I must say I dont think you can possibly go past the book on Alexander The Great by Robin Lane Fox - I'll also be interested in reading his book on the new movie as well!
zipporah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get back to the title of this thread? That is, good books about Alexander. My Alexander interest was set off by Mary Renault's trilogy, and I then read her 'Nature of Alexander' book. Next it'll either be Robin Lane Fox or Arrian's 'Campaigns of Alexander' (in translation ... I have three years of basic Latin, no Greek, and it's another year before I start my Classics degree! Sad). The new book by Laura Foreman mentioned on this board looks interesting but I was wondering what other people's recommendations were.

And going back to fiction, has anyone read the books by Valerio Massimo Manfredi? I've been lent the first one, but to be honest I'm really not into his style ... is it worth persevering?
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the three Mamfredi books and to me they are great, I enjoyed them very much, especially the first one Wink Actually, these are the only books that have made me cry with some scenes... Mamfredi is unique is transmiting feelings Crying or Very sad
Rachel25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not so impressed with Manfredi's writing. I actually bought his second book on Alexander on clearance, and I got through about a third of it.

While Renault's trilogy (I've only read the first two thought) is not without fault I really enjoyed her writing style so much more.
Nikas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary Renault's 'The Nature of Alexander' is also an excellent read. Nonetheless, the best are the 'originals'. Arrian, Plutarch, Diodorus, Justin, and Quintus Curtius Rufus. Reading these will allow the reader to make their own conclusions on who Alexander was, without looking through another's eyes.
olympia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a copy of Plutarch's Alexander here:
http://classics.mit.edu/Plutarch/alexandr.html

I haven't had time to read it myself Confused , but I agree with Nikas. It's nice to see what the classical writers had to say.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: