Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Love Story?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northernfag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Love Story? Reply with quote

I hope this movie is not going to turn out as some kind of "great love story" between alexander and Roxanne, because at the end of the day their marriage (as indeed most were in the ancient world) was political and little else. If there is to be a love story it should be with Hephaestaion (aka Bagoas to anyone who knows anything about him in real life), as that is the one he CHOSE with no political gains to be made.
Another annoying thing, is that in real life Hephaestion was older than alexander, and therefore Alexander was his "beloved" not vice versa. A concession to mr Farrell's masculinity me thinks. (He is very hot though) Mad
Poppea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spotted your posting nic, so umm, you're not biased on this at all then? Very Happy

ITA, Colin is very, very hot.
northernfag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: vERY Reply with quote

Razz Yes im REALLY biased, but im quite willing to put up with anything if we get to see colin's legs a lot. TOGA!, TOGA!, TOGA!!!!! Twisted Evil
Poppea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fess up, the man has the sexiest knees I've ever seen and I'm going to be a gibbering heap watching him ride all these horses!
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poppea wrote:
I fess up, the man has the sexiest knees I've ever seen..

Just for you then...

Poppea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev what are you trying to do to me!!!! I need warnings before seeing The Knees......oh but what lovely knees. Thanks Kevin *mwah*
northernfag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Yep, lovely, but definate waxing has gone on in the thigh/bikini area from the looks of it? Speaking as an irishman we all have legs like the amazon rain forest....I wonder if hes had the full B, S and C??
Poppea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, can't say I've ever seen much body hair on him to be honest (think American Outlaws and Tigerland) and I have been looking - a lot. Embarassed I'd be surprised if he would sit still and put up with having a wax job on his legs, never mind the full monty!
Poppea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: I was wrong! Reply with quote

Just for NF, just posted on the ColinFarrellFansite:

Quote:
Farrell Gets Waxed For Film

Irish actor Colin Farrell has proved he's willing to make sacrifices in the name of art - by undergoing a painful bikini wax.

The screen hunk agreed to the procedure, usually practiced on women, on the set of upcoming epic Alexander, and he's now considering an alternative career as a lapdancer if his success in Hollywood dwindles.

He jokes, "I've shaved my legs. I've even had a bikini wax. I have a landing strip. If the acting fails I could become a lapdancer."
Sufi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Love Story? Reply with quote

northernfag wrote:
I hope this movie is not going to turn out as some kind of "great love story" between alexander and Roxanne, because at the end of the day their marriage (as indeed most were in the ancient world) was political and little else. If there is to be a love story it should be with Hephaestaion (aka Bagoas to anyone who knows anything about him in real life), as that is the one he CHOSE with no political gains to be made.
Another annoying thing, is that in real life Hephaestion was older than alexander, and therefore Alexander was his "beloved" not vice versa. A concession to mr Farrell's masculinity me thinks. (He is very hot though) Mad

Hephaistion was NOT the same person as Bagoas, and in fact, Jared Leto who is playing Hephaistion IS older than Farrell.

There is no proof that H. was older than Alexander anyway; it's supposition.
northernfag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander identified himself with the hero Achilles (even visiting the site of troy to re-enact scenes from his life, and wearing his alleged armour), Hephaestion took on the persona of Achilles OLDER lover Patrochlus ( his being older is well documented in both historical sources and on countless RF and BF vase paintings).
He was also resident in Phillips court during the young Alexanders childhood- unlikely if he was younger.
As for Jared Leto being older, he may be but to judge from the pics ive seen he's hardly heavily bearded and hes definately not playing it butch.
Glad to hears cols had the waxing! Oh to be a fly on that wall!
Sufi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northernfag wrote:
Alexander identified himself with the hero Achilles (even visiting the site of troy to re-enact scenes from his life, and wearing his alleged armour), Hephaestion took on the persona of Achilles OLDER lover Patrochlus ( his being older is well documented in both historical sources and on countless RF and BF vase paintings).
He was also resident in Phillips court during the young Alexanders childhood- unlikely if he was younger.
As for Jared Leto being older, he may be but to judge from the pics ive seen he's hardly heavily bearded and hes definately not playing it butch.

The fact Alexander identifies with Akhilles doesn't mean Hephaistion also correlated directly to Patrokles. It just means he took that role. And Hephaistion being in Phillip's court wouldn't have been a big deal since Hephaistion's father was a member of the court -- so he could've easily been around there. If he was older then it might not have been by a vast difference.

Sisygambus mistook Hephaistion for Alexander. The Persians knew of Alexander, at least his rough age. If Hephaistion was that much older, she wouldn't have mistook him. So it's my deduction that he had to have at least looked young.

And for that, I think Stone is right in making Leto seem the same age or near to it.

And the fact Leto is unbearded has to do with history. Alexander had all his men shave.
northernfag

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcellus Ammanianus states directly that Hep. was identified in his lifetime with Patrochlus, and although he is quite a late source he was using earlier sources. There is also a Hellenistic period Olpe in the arch. museum at Villa Giulia in Rome showing Alexander as Achilles and his (unnamed but definately intimate) companion as Patrochlus. Circumstantial true, but certainly possible.
Razz
ndanjr93

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: The Truth Reply with quote

Colin has AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL legs, (not forgeting the rest of him). I first saw him in the Irish show (made by the BBS) Ballykissangel. He played a farmer in the small village. Fell instantly in love.
I just hope that Oliver will portray the true relationship that Alexander had w/ Hephaestion. His marriage was political, and they would be doing a dis-service to history if they portrayed it in any other way. Alexander was a man that loved another man. Homosexuality was not an issue in that era and in the Helenistic culture (save the Judaic nation of israel). So, I hope that we see at least a hint of affection between Alexander (Colin) and Hephaestion (Jared). I'm completely aware that anything more would be unacceptable in our current political and sociological climate. It would be extremely BRAVE for Colin, and Jared (and I would take my hat off to Oliver; sing his praises) to perhaps share a kiss (although I'm sure Alexander and Hepaestion shared more then that). Although Colin (love him dearly) probably is worried about his image as a "ladies man" and probably would not be apt to participate in a *** scene. There are actors that would probably not make an issue of it. They probably would love the opportunity to "play" a homosexual character. As it would be out of the norm, and something different. In any case, I am eagerly awaiting the release of the movie and will buy the DVD (immediately)when it comes out. I absolutely love Colin, and Angelina. I wish them both the best for the upcoming New Year. Oh and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!!!! May every wish come true for all of you.
Poppea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he'll be remotely bothered by it to be honest, his brother is gay and he's very gay friendly. I really don't think Colin gives a tinker's cuss about his image. ITA on BallyK, I loved him in that too. He disappeared for years after doing that, so it's nice to see him on top of the heap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: