Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Irish accents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ammon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Irish accents Reply with quote

As we all know, Macendonians will be played by Irish actors (or affecting the accent) and Greeks will have English accents. However, from listening to Colin in the new tv trailer spot, it sounds like he has calmed his accent down ALOT! .... to be precise it sounds like he's affecting a soft south Dublin accent - which means he's sounding like an irish posh boy!!! While Val Kilmer is sounding like a true yokel.

Now, there's no problem with that interms of an international audience, no one will notice, but it will be picked up in Ireland - and perhaps not go down too well in Colin's home town!!! Smile

Don't get me wrong - I still think he sounds great .. that "do you want to live forever!?" just goes through me! I just hope this brave choice with various accents - irish, english, albanian, persian doesn't jar and throw the whole movie off. Confused
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that as long as the film is engrossing enough and captivates the audience that we will probably not notice the accent after five minutes or so. We will all notice it at the beginning, because we all know it is going to be an Irish accent so we will all look out for it. But once the film actually gets going and you lose yourself within it then I don't think it will matter. Just my thoughts Wink
Rachel25

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't a problem with the Irish accents. Especially after reading Renault's series in which she clearly shows the Southern Greeks looking down on the Macedonians as uncouth. It kind of lends inself to this modern comparison.

I remember reading 'The Kingdom of the Wicked', by Anthony Burgess a long time ago and when they had a part with Nero oogling captive slaves from Brittain, I started to think to myself, "In a movie version of this I wonder what accent they'd have a Brittish slave speak with?" LOL
Iain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When they did I, Claudius on the BBC they had the Romans speaking with London accents and the British speaking with Yorkshire accents. The Germans had German accents. Go figure.
Rachel25

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense to the people of Yorkshire, but that's a little disappointing. Confused
meshuggahruls

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad pitt with an irish accent , mmmm hot. if ya want to see a good movie with brad pitt using a little bitt of an irish accent see SNATCH! its agreat film.

i think irish accents are sexy , the voice really matters to me . i could marry the lead singer from the deftones just because he has a beautiful voice.

i love an irish accent and hopefully colins sounds sexy.

from
cal Twisted Evil
Ammon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Me! I was hoping the 'irish accents are sexy' argument wouldn't raise it's ugly head!!! Rolling Eyes

I still remain undecided.. look at Tom Cruise And Nicole Kidman in "Far and Away" - they were slaughtered in the British and Irish press, and eventually in the US, for sounding awfull... could Val Kilmer be heading down the same route... and bringing "Alexander" with him??? Wink
Rachel25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eww, I forgot about 'Far and Away'. That was terrible. Though Brad Pitt has down some bad accents as well. (7Years in Tibet, that one he's in with Harrison Ford as an IRA guy(?). Snatch doesn't count, it's suppose to be a bad accent. Brad made up for past bad accents in his comedic style in that one to me.)

I'm guess Val Kilmer is going to be walking a fine line, but I don't think that his role is big enough for it to over rule the whole film. Actual Irishmen have parts that I think will likely get more screen time. Angelina has always been good with accents (at least I thought so) so I'm not worried about her accent. Is it a Bulgarian one they said that they wanted her to have as Olympias?

What kind of an accent do you think that they'll have Leto do? I know that Hephaistion was a Macedonian as well but many people don't seem to know a lot about his background, and I've read that many historians still puzzle over the fact that though Amyntor is typically Macedonian, Hephaistion is actually a very Athenian name. Maybe he'll be allowed to get away with a muddled English/Irish accent.
Ammon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Heph speaks in one of those tv trailers on techforces.com.. he says "what would you do if you reached.... the end of the world". It's an irish accent, but it's too short to tell, and no image of the speaker, so it could be Ptolemy. I'd say if he was clever, staying close to Farrells' accent would be best.

.... oh and Olympia speaks with an Albanian accent! Go figure!!!??? I quite like Olympia in the Richard Burton version speaking in a French accent... she was supposed to be a wierd foreigner after all!!! Laughing
zoe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Jared played Heph with an Irish accent, that is Heph talking in the trailor. I'm not worried at all, he is brilliant with accents. I was blown away by his performance in the Irish movie "The Last Of The High Kings" his accent was FLAWLESS. I can't wait to see him as Hephaestion.
Sounds like there will be quite a mixture of accents, but like Kevin said, I'm sure with all the action going on, the accents will become secondary.. hope so anyway.
Ammon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Times (London, England), Sept 16, 2004

"Oliver Stone's life of Alexander the Great, Alexander, faces two major hurdles. 1) Colin Farrell is using his Dublin accent to play the leader of the Greek army. 2) His leather skirt and surfer-dude hair couldn't look more gay if they had been styled by the Queer Eye team. The subtext may be historically accurate, but this is a potential camp classic. "

Told ya - the critics have the daggers out for those accents!!..and the rest

Laughing
zipporah

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ammon wrote:
I think Heph speaks in one of those tv trailers on techforces.com.. he says "what would you do if you reached.... the end of the world".

Which trailer is this? I don't remember hearing that line ...

From what I've heard so far they don't have strong accents. I'm terrible on picking up accents though, and I only have a small amount to go on. I think Val Kilmer sounds ... sleazy? ... more than anything. Something gives me the shivers when he says the 'Kings aren't made, Alexander' bit, anyway. I think it's a novel idea, although they better not be too strong ... I've never understood the 'Irish accents are sexy' thing, I'm about the only person who finds the majority of them rather grating *hides*. And I wonder what is meant by an 'English accent' - BBC English?
Ammon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.techcomforces.com/html/alex_trailers.html
Ammon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. oh sorry - go to the link above and i think its tv trailer no2
zipporah

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ammon, hadn't seen that ... I'm not getting the Irish accent, but like I said, I find it difficult to tell Wink.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: