Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander The Great Mt.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swedish-Historian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Alexander The Great Mt. Reply with quote

this project will son be underway.

They are planning to create a Alexander the Great face carved out of a mountain. just like mt. rushmore.

So when everybody comes of the coast in Macedonia Greece the first they will see is the king of kings.

Check it out for yourselves
http://www.alexanderthegreatmountain.com/intro/movie.html
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful tribute to our Alexander. Thanks for the link Wink
Spike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you can learn things when you least expect it. Thank you Swedish-Historian, i had no idea. I've researched it and it was meant to be completed alongside the olympics. That chance has come and gone... Mad

Hopefully it will get underway soon enough. Can't wait to see it!
bazil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey swedish-historian,

Where online did u get the pic? I would like to download it.
bazil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a website on the order of alexander the great:

http://www.meaus.com/AlexanderOrder.html
mike713

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool about time Alexander gets a monument wrothy of him.
skip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Confused kid. Reply with quote

I wonder why they call him the King of Greece and throughout the whole site there is not one mention of Macedonia.

Was he not the King of Macedonia?

Conquerer of all the Hellas states, Egypt and Persia?

Isn't Greece as a country only around 180 years old?

Are they deliberately trying to avoid the use of Macedonia?

Isn't it quite ironic that Athens will erect a monument of a foreign conquerer?

Why do people describe that area as Greek Macedonia - if they were one in the same it should be just called Greek. I have never seem the term Greek Spartan.

Confused kid.

I am only 14 and have taken interest in history but this forum displays links to sites which have contradicted the books I have read in my library.

I have spoken to my dad about it, he is a Pom, and he basically explained to me what the word propoganda means.

This should be against the law.
Alexia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Whoa. That's totally awesome. How long do you think it will take to finish this? Are we talking Gaudi's Sangradia Familia time line, and my son will be an old man before it's done?

What a great project. I just hope I get to see it completed.
Spike

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder why they call him the King of Greece and throughout the whole site there is not one mention of Macedonia.

Why do people describe that area as Greek Macedonia - if they were one in the same it should be just called Greek. I have never seem the term Greek Spartan.

Confused kid.

I am only 14 and have taken interest in history but this forum displays links to sites which have contradicted the books I have read in my library.

I have spoken to my dad about it, he is a Pom, and he basically explained to me what the word propoganda means.

This has been discussed so many, many times in this forum(it is off topic as well). I am not going to repeat the same things again, so take a look around and hopefully you will no longer be confused.
As for who is going to erect the monument, please see the link provided by Swedish-Historian.
Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic project Exclamation Very Happy Does anyone know how far they've got with the project?
Swedish-Historian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What a beautiful tribute to our Alexander. Thanks for the link

No Problem Wink

Quote:
Sometimes you can learn things when you least expect it. Thank you Swedish-Historian, i had no idea. I've researched it and it was meant to be completed alongside the olympics. That chance has come and gone...

Hopefully it will get underway soon enough. Can't wait to see it!

Its a shame they did not have it finished for the Olympics. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Hey swedish-historian,

Where online did u get the pic? I would like to download it.

Do you mean my avatar???

Quote:

Confused kid.

Yes greece as a state is only a 100 years old but Greece as a culture and ppl with an identity is 5000 years old... By the way Greece is the same as Hellas but in greek... also the word greece is also greek from the word Graikos... and Yes Alexander was King of macedonia as he was also king of all other greek city states excluding Sparta...
What is a POM????

This is not propaganda... if you wanna look at propaganda is suggest you look up Josip Broz Tito.. there you'll find a lot about that...

So any questions skip???

Quote:
Why do people describe that area as Greek Macedonia - if they were one in the same it should be just called Greek. I have never seem the term Greek Spartan

Because another nation is trying to steal Greek history and have the same name as macedonia... thats why they label it greek macedonia so it wont be confused with the other state... you see??

Quote:
Whoa. That's totally awesome. How long do you think it will take to finish this? Are we talking Gaudi's Sangradia Familia time line, and my son will be an old man before it's done?

What a great project. I just hope I get to see it completed.

it will see the light of day in 2006..
bazil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. I meant your avatar.
skip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Even more confused. Reply with quote

Swedish Historian,

A Pom is a person from England.

You have confused me even more.

King of Greece except Sparta????

I read that Hellas was not a nation but an education or an ideal, how can someone be the King of Education??? I have a lot of friends who have moved from Asia to the western world for an education, does this automatically change their ethnicity and culture?

I also read that Alexander did not unite them but controlled them???

Would you agree that Phillip and Alexander were political geniuses?

Also, as soon as he died, Aristotle was banished from Hellas. Are these the usual actions of a united people?

My opinion to your comments are that you have no chance of giving me a 100% answer on the truth as it is based on assumption. You also mention that someone is trying to steal greek history - my opnion is that histroy cannot be stolen as it belongs to everyone and if a people, with or without a connection, can be inspired by a historical figure, this is a good thing with all politics aside.

My dad has taught me to never judge a person based on how someone else has described them - peoples assumptions are what has caused all the problems I see on the news today.

Swedish Histroian another general question, how can you base you title on just reading books. You should be called Swedish plagurer. I thought Swedes were smart - I guess not.

History is very interesting and is not an exact science, it s a revisional science.

Cheers
olympia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, as soon as he died, Aristotle was banished from Hellas. Are these the usual actions of a united people?

Aristotle wasn't banned. He did however decide to flee the tumultuous times that came after Alexander the Great.

Quote:
...This crowning period of his life lasted twelve years. After the death of Alexander, the anti-Macedonian party at Athens obtained an ascendency, and an accusation was prepared against Aristotle, the charge being impiety. With the fate of Socrates before his eyes, he chose a timely escape, and in the beginning of 322 B.C., took refuge at Chalcis, in Euboea, where in the autumn of the same year he died, aged 62.

from: http://www.sacklunch.net/biography/A/Aristotle.html

Quote:
Swedish Histroian another general question, how can you base you title on just reading books. You should be called Swedish plagurer. I thought Swedes were smart - I guess not.

Shocked You're accusing someone of plagiarism? That is incredibly rude and uncalled for. It also begs the question if you even know what the word means Rolling Eyes

Being 14 is no excuse for being rude.
bazil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Skip,

It sounds like you don't understand ancient Greek history. It also sounds like you don't understand the Macedonian Question and what kind of history it has. There are two sides to this issue: the Greek side (which has a northern Greek province called Macedonia) and the FYROM side (which is called Macedonia, which is recognized by the United Nations as FYROM or FYR Macedonia, which borders the northern greek province of Macedonia). Also, Olympia is right. You're only 14 so don't be so rude.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, its awesome that an Alexander the Great mountain will be carved in Greek Macedonia. It will brings tourists from all over the world. Greece is getting recognized again after being "dormant" for so long.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: