Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did Alexandar fight for?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vulgaren



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 140
Location: Skopje, Republic of Macedonia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: What did Alexandar fight for? Reply with quote

There are four grand conceptions as to what was Alexandars was dring to acomplish:

1 Most popular - Brotherhood of Mankind
2 "Fusion" - between Macedonians and Persians
3 To spread Hellenic culture

Many historians wrote about this but all of them conclude that the sources are so scarce that it is impossible to prove any of them.

I wonder which of those ones will be expressed in the movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChristianMacedon



Joined: 08 Apr 2004
Posts: 211
Location: Portsmouth, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be none of them,He wanted to be God and saw the opportunity that Macedonia is strong enough to defeat Persia and rule the then known civilised world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
karl_hitos



Joined: 02 Oct 2004
Posts: 1
Location: Terrassa, BCN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: ALEXANDER, only a king Reply with quote

Hmm, it seems your replies seem to judge Alexander from a post-historical judgement position that could not be applied with Alexander.

Specially Christian-Macedon, how can you imagine that someone wants to rule the known world? Even when Greeks knew positively that probably the most part of the world was unknown and that it could be full of strange beasts and gods that would be impossible to submit by the human race?

Alexander was a well-educated Hellenistic king. His father was murdered and he was pushed to the Throne at the age of 15 (or 16?). His first commitment was ensuring a stable and peaceful life at home and to the new lands under protection of Macedonia conquered by his father. Economy and peace were blooming in Pella and the only way to protect it was trying to push enemy borders as much far as possible from the kingdom's core.

But Alexander has been well-instructed and he was in campaign even better well-adviced by his generals. So, it is not strange he starts vanquishing the Western border exterior lands of a decaying Persian empire. In fact, he was taking advantage of a relatively medium-small centralized army, deciding and executing its srimmages in situ; while his first opponents were border defense armies under a huge burocratic empire that could never take and execute decisions in terms of hours.

From this moment on, as a well-educated man, he cannot do anything but fulfilling the desire of visiting the places that he read on books: Babilone, Susa, Egypt and the far Eastern snow-covered border of the world. Wouldn't have you done the same if you were him?

And wherever he goes, he tries to understand and adopt the part of Truth about life that every civilization has (Greeks, Persians, Egyptians...). In the end, he is even accused of having lost his Greek life habits. He does not destroy local cultures in favour of Greek culture, so he is not fighting for expanding any culture.

He knows that the kingdom he is creating is good, and that people lives relatively happy in it (even the defeated ones). So, what reason would have he had in order to not establish his kingdom wherever he goes?

He probably had no intention to end his quest when he was taken by surprise by illness. And he probably had realized that he had no Motherland and no place to call home, as in every city men where only obsessed with their local ambitions and he could never find a place where people had an indulgent concept of world and mankind itself like the one he built in his neverending journey.

I imagine that when Alexander saw that there were so many Truths in the world, he freed himself off all religious and cultural influence. Then, he realized that all people and cities where enslaved by its local believes and local ambitions, and he felt alone and different from all that sicking mankind.

He knew he was nothing else but a man, but he also knew that he was different. And being so different, he is easily judged as mad by the rest.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ChristianMacedon



Joined: 08 Apr 2004
Posts: 211
Location: Portsmouth, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He knew he was nothing else but a man, but he also knew that he was different. And being so different, he is easily judged as mad by the rest.

i am not judging him, he said gentleman of Macedon lets conquer the whole world and you will get the treausers of the world,and he considered himself the son of God or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ChristianMacedon



Joined: 08 Apr 2004
Posts: 211
Location: Portsmouth, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the end, he is even accused of having lost his Greek life habits

how can he be accused of something he never had?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Spike



Joined: 03 Sep 2004
Posts: 17
Location: Athens, Greece

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting opinion in Alexander's motives Karl-Hitos. A man who could achieve what Alexander did, cannot be judged by normal standards..

Quote:
he said gentleman of Macedon lets conquer the whole world and you will get the treausers of the world,and he considered himself the son of God or something.

Christian-Macedon, your views are a bit simplistic. You make him look like Genghis Khan or Attila the Hun.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alexia



Joined: 29 Jan 2004
Posts: 80
Location: Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: What did Alexandar fight for? Reply with quote

vulgaren wrote:
There are four grand conceptions as to what was Alexandars was dring to acomplish:

1 Most popular - Brotherhood of Mankind
2 "Fusion" - between Macedonians and Persians
3 To spread Hellenic culture

Many historians wrote about this but all of them conclude that the sources are so scarce that it is impossible to prove any of them.

I wonder which of those ones will be expressed in the movie.


I think that most say this is what he was trying to accomplish because it is what he accomplished, a kind of backwards mapping of intentions, so to speak. I don't recall any indication of his purpose beyond "freeing the Ioanian coast." I do have my own speculation, and it involves a story that I remember reading about Alexander receiving Persian refugees when he was a very young boy. If I remember correctly this source said that he grew up around Persian refugees. Unfortunately, I can't remember who that source is. Does anyone? I speculate that he wanted to see it for himself, and in some way vindicate those that he had admired so much as a young boy. Some of Alexander's deeds were noble, and some were simply about conquering the world.

As far as which one will be expressed in the movie, I don't think that Stone will try to make such a complex character simpler because it is easier. I believe that I read somewhere on this website that he is following the Fox book. I haven't read it, so I put forth the question to those who have which of these aspects that Fox focuses on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChristianMacedon



Joined: 08 Apr 2004
Posts: 211
Location: Portsmouth, United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
your views are a bit simplistic. You make him look like Genghis Khan or Attila the Hun.

he said it, i didnt come up with it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vulgaren



Joined: 06 Jul 2004
Posts: 140
Location: Skopje, Republic of Macedonia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did Alexandar fight for? Reply with quote

Alexia wrote:
vulgaren wrote:
There are four grand conceptions as to what was Alexandars was dring to acomplish:

1 Most popular - Brotherhood of Mankind
2 "Fusion" - between Macedonians and Persians
3 To spread Hellenic culture

Many historians wrote about this but all of them conclude that the sources are so scarce that it is impossible to prove any of them.

I wonder which of those ones will be expressed in the movie.


I think that most say this is what he was trying to accomplish because it is what he accomplished, a kind of backwards mapping of intentions, so to speak. I don't recall any indication of his purpose beyond "freeing the Ioanian coast." I do have my own speculation, and it involves a story that I remember reading about Alexander receiving Persian refugees when he was a very young boy. If I remember correctly this source said that he grew up around Persian refugees. Unfortunately, I can't remember who that source is. Does anyone? I speculate that he wanted to see it for himself, and in some way vindicate those that he had admired so much as a young boy. Some of Alexander's deeds were noble, and some were simply about conquering the world.

As far as which one will be expressed in the movie, I don't think that Stone will try to make such a complex character simpler because it is easier. I believe that I read somewhere on this website that he is following the Fox book. I haven't read it, so I put forth the question to those who have which of these aspects that Fox focuses on.


I read Peter Green one "Alexandar of Macedon" which is most popular in UK. Fox is weel educated but spend too much time proving things to an ordinary folks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group