Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not-So-Great Expectations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slashersivi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Not-So-Great Expectations Reply with quote

I can't say I know or have seen much about the upcoming movie (I'm undergoing job training at Ft. Sam Houston, and for the last 3 months I've been pretty much isolated from the civilian world) but when I first heard an Alexander movie was being made a year or so ago, I had some doubts. Hollywood has a bad track record with history and seeing as Alexander is personally my favorite subject, they could only get it wrong, wrong, wrong. Casting an Irishman to play him was their first mistake, and I'm truly afraid to find out what else gets mangled. So far I've been telling all my friends and family to hold off watching it - I am sacrificing myself to go see it and determine whether or not I need to urge/beg/plead everyone I know to avoid it. For my fellow historical Alexander gurus, can you give me any hope? All I see for the future of this movie is despair. :p
ChristianMacedon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant really comment about the movie untill i see it,but i would reccomend you go and see it when it comes out. I think it should be good.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Not-So-Great Expectations Reply with quote

slashersivi wrote:
Casting an Irishman to play him was their first mistake......
Alexander has been dead a long time so in Hollywood they ain't gonna find him. It's all about money and movies, which is why you are at this board, so regardless of who would play him in your mind they are going to go with an actor who will pull the crowds. After all - it's a movie - not the real deal - you're going to have to build a time machine if you want the real thing.
Bithysith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Casting an Irishman to play him was their first mistake......

Please give Colin Farrell a bit of credit - the man is a wizard at accents. I didn't even know he was Irish until I heard him in an interview a while back! Besides, I don't see how his place of birth has anything to do with how effectively he can play the character of Alexander. You may as well cry foul at the casting of an American (Kilmer) as Philip, or a Brit (Hopkins) as Ptolemy.

Besides... if you're going to demand total historical accuracy, I'd like to know where they'd find a 5'6" ruddy-colored Greek in Hollywood. Razz
Ammon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Irish representing macedonians and english greeks is quite inspired and even if it sounds a bit funny; it's a hell of an improvement on an american accent.... at least it's the correct continent!

I really disagree with people totally judging films before they've seen them...... as Colin says "it's just a bloody story!". As long as nothing gets in the way of people enjoying the story, this movie should be AMAZING!
tani

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree. Stone is going to screw this all thing up. I looked at the trailer a few times, and I found several severe mistakes (Cassander at Gaugamela; Antigonos at Samarkand, etc, etc.) I'll still watch the movie but I'll probably regret it, just like I regreted watching Troy.
slashersivi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin Farrel just plain doesn't look the part, and the attitude he brings with his acting that I've witnessed in previous films doesn't fit here. I just wish they could have cast smarter. I suppose I should have worded it better. It's not so much the nationality as the profile.
Swedish-Historian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not distinguisg macedoninas from greeks because a macedonian also goes under the name greek. you can distinguish them fom spartans, athenians, thebians etc.
Poppea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should give the guy a break before pre-judging him. Personally I think he's a very good actor indeed.
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't understand. If u don't like the movie, or think u are not going to like it, what are u doing here, then?

Colin Farrell is a great actor who in many ways looks like Alexander.
smith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Not-So-Great Expectations Reply with quote

slashersivi wrote:
I can't say I know or have seen much about the upcoming movie (I'm undergoing job training at Ft. Sam Houston, and for the last 3 months I've been pretty much isolated from the civilian world) but when I first heard an Alexander movie was being made a year or so ago, I had some doubts. Hollywood has a bad track record with history and seeing as Alexander is personally my favorite subject, they could only get it wrong, wrong, wrong. Casting an Irishman to play him was their first mistake, and I'm truly afraid to find out what else gets mangled. So far I've been telling all my friends and family to hold off watching it - I am sacrificing myself to go see it and determine whether or not I need to urge/beg/plead everyone I know to avoid it. For my fellow historical Alexander gurus, can you give me any hope? All I see for the future of this movie is despair. :p

Well, that depends on what the cause of your interest is

If you are a Persian or Macedonian you are likely to be disappointed.

If you are a Greek you may end up with mixed feelings. From one side Greece is guaranteed to be glorified in this kind of movie, from the other side, none of the Western European looking characters look anything close to you or most other Greeks you have seen before. As usual the movie version of Greece/Rome has been designated to represent the ancient history that western Europe lacks. Ancient Greeks used to look western European and somehow got polluted at some mysterious later stage(and that is fact as far movies are concerned. Don't try to fight it)

If you are Gay you may be happy with whatever you can get out of this movie but I seriously doubt that movie is going to depict Alexander as the real gay hero that most *** wants to see

If you are a history fan odds are you will be disappointed as there probably is more of fiction and fantasy sold as true history than “real history”

But if you are a typical American movie watcher the movie should fit into right into your fantasy and you may actually like it give it a chance
Bithysith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you pessimists should at least read this: http://www.vkn.com/movies/alexander/productionnotes.pdf (particularly historian Robin Lane Fox's comments about the film's accuracy and his opinion of Colin Farrell as Alexander).

Better yet, reserve judgment until the film comes out. Neutral
kida_greenleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Not-So-Great Expectations Reply with quote

smith wrote:
But if you are a typical American movie watcher the movie should fit into right into your fantasy and you may actually like it give it a chance

That's very insulting. I am a "typical American movie watcher," and believe it or not my opinion of the movie does not matter less than yours. I'm a film major at my university and I happen to know a lot about movies, good ones, too.

Besides, more than half the profit of American movies is made abroad. If our films are such trash, why are you watching them?

And I think you're being dangerously general about large groups of people. There may in fact be a Greek, Persian or Macedonian person out there who frankly doesn't care that much about Alexander the Great.

But I am American, and I do care. And I don't think my nationality makes my interest in Alexander or Oliver Stone's movie less valid than someone from anywhere else in the world.
kida_greenleaf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tani wrote:
I'll still watch the movie but I'll probably regret it, just like I regreted watching Troy.

I don't know why people think that one poorly-handled movie about the ancient world kills ALL moves about the ancient world. That's like seeing a bad Western, then refusing to see "Magnificent Seven."

Come on. Save the judgment for the film when you've actually seen it.
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You speak right, kida. Americans, like all the people, make good, regular, and bad movies.

I am really sick and tired of hearing that, as Troy was not that good, EVERY movie about the ancient world should be like that. Look at Gladiator, for example. It is a good movie AND an American movie. Am I stupid or unintelligent if I say that Gladiator shouldn't be a good movie because it is American? Neither am I, nor the people who also watches American movies.

Who in here can say they don't watch or don't like ANY American film?

People who says that they don't watch any American film are lying, and infravalorate people by the movies they watch is insulting and this people may believe that they are somewhat "extraordinary" and "magnificent", or super-intelligent Rolling Eyes

All people who say they don't like any American movie are hypocrites.

I never critisize a movie before watching it, it is stupid to show such hate with something you don't know how it is, and... Stone has always liked Alexander as a character, I don't think he is going to do a bad movie just for this fact, and the actor are great.

Envy is such a bad feeling. I think most of the people are critisizing so destructevely cause of envy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: