Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not-So-Great Expectations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that I like history and won't be dissapointed with the movie(someone wrote that history fans won't like the film)

Why? Do u think that Alexander's life was so simple and vain to be complety showed in two hours and a half?? Who are we talking about??

The movie should last, to satisfy all these annoying, bad-called historians, 20 years or more. I would like to see what could they do if they had to do a movie about Alexander. These people know anything except critisizing. I feel pity for them. Like if they knew everything about making movies... Rolling Eyes

As Angelina said in an interview: "no matter what we do or how we do it, we will always be critisized" (how right she is Sad )
Bithysith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ISN'T an American film. This is the largest film project to ever come out of Europe.

This film is the opposite of Hollywood.
eryan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bithysith wrote:
This ISN'T an American film. This is the largest film project to ever come out of Europe.

This film is the opposite of Hollywood.

Ha.. Then who is warner bros, Oliver stones uncle? THIS IS NOT A INDEPENDENT MOVIE. It was suppose to bee that, but now it's a hollywood movie. I don't think that warner bros gives away money for fun.
Rachel25

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give away money? No. But they do take deals for the distribution of films, and that's what they did for Alexander. Not for production. Most of that money came from European investors, I'm pretty sure WarnerB is just into the distribution of the film. That's it.

It's hardly a poor indie flick, but Warner is not calling the shots either. Infact if Oliver played his cards right and bits from everybody nobody can really throw there weight around about what goes into the film, except for him.
mOoK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y dun ya keep yo big mouth shut, dude Evil or Very Mad if ur sowwwwwww good y dun they pick ya? Laughing Colin's doin a gr8 job here his accent has nothin 2 do wit da movie mannnnnnnn ur sow small Exclamation
kida_greenleaf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if this was made in Hollywood, would that make it so terrible? I think Hollywood has done pretty well. If you like "Citizen Kane," "The Godfather," "The Great Escape"...do I really have to keep going?
eryan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kida_greenleaf wrote:
Even if this was made in Hollywood, would that make it so terrible? I think Hollywood has done pretty well. If you like "Citizen Kane," "The Godfather," "The Great Escape"...do I really have to keep going?

ehhh, are you born yesterday or something. Man, don't you know that the relation between Iran(Persia) and USA are not so good at this moment. Look at the fox channel or any American TV channel, all they speak about is Iran. And why the hell should they do a good movie about Persia. Everything Hollywood does have a political agenda. You are living in your dream world man.
mOoK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Not-So-Great Expectations Reply with quote

slashersivi wrote:
Casting an Irishman to play him was their first mistake

...u'd betta keep ur big mouth shut dude... Mad Evil or Very Mad
kida_greenleaf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eryan wrote:
ehhh, are you born yesterday or something. Man, don't you know that the relation between Iran(Persia) and USA are not so good at this moment. Look at the fox channel or any American TV channel, all they speak about is Iran. And why the hell should they do a good movie about Persia. Everything Hollywood does have a political agenda. You are living in your dream world man.

Wow. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and decide that was a lazy post, not a stupid one.

I am aware of current events as is any American with a tv. I know America (and other countries like the UK) and Iran, Iraq etc are not getting along "so good." Don't be that lame. And what are you doing watching FOX? That's the most right-wing news channel in the country! It hardly represents the polarized America of today. 51% of the country is against the Iraqi war. Some Americans are frightened of the idea of a nuclear Iran since that country is known to harbor anti-American terrorist groups. I don't think that's too odd.

That said, Hollywood is Hollywood. It's making art. It's not a voicebox for America. To think that is to be way too literal. Artists can make any statement they want. They can set a movie in any country they want. IT'S ART. It's entertainment. You can interpret it as you will.

There are in fact Iranians living in America. By the way. And some of them just might enjoy it.

Everything Hollywood does has a politcal agenda. Ok. What exactly was the agenda of "Dude Where's My Car?" Just curious. Rolling Eyes

If I'm living in a dream world, I'll stick with it. It's a hell of a lot more informed than your dream world.
eryan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kida_greenleaf wrote:
eryan wrote:

Wow. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and decide that was a lazy post, not a stupid one.

I am aware of current events as is any American with a tv. I know America (and other countries like the UK) and Iran, Iraq etc are not getting along "so good." Don't be that lame. And what are you doing watching FOX? That's the most right-wing news channel in the country! It hardly represents the polarized America of today. 51% of the country is against the Iraqi war. Some Americans are frightened of the idea of a nuclear Iran since that country is known to harbor anti-American terrorist groups. I don't think that's too odd.

That said, Hollywood is Hollywood. It's making art. It's not a voicebox for America. To think that is to be way too literal. Artists can make any statement they want. They can set a movie in any country they want. IT'S ART. It's entertainment. You can interpret it as you will.

There are in fact Iranians living in America. By the way. And some of them just might enjoy it.

Everything Hollywood does has a politcal agenda. Ok. What exactly was the agenda of "Dude Where's My Car?" Just curious. Rolling Eyes

If I'm living in a dream world, I'll stick with it. It's a hell of a lot more informed than your dream world.

I think you misunderstand me. I don’t say that Hollywood is representing USA. In "my dream world" many people feel like it does. I don’t blame theme. Look at the 70’s and 80’s the bad guys on the movies was always from East Germany or was communist. When the cold war ended, the bad guys were changed to be from Middle East and South America. The problem is that I haven’t seen any movies that represent people from Middle East in a good way. Have you? Instead they have done ridiculous movies like “not without my daughter” and Midnight Express.

Yes, I have heard that the Iranian government harbour anti-israel but not anti-American terrorist groups. But it wouldn’t surprise me. Because ayatollah is ayatollah and some day they gone rest in peace. The problem is just that Europe and especially UK, Germany and France don’t want so, because of the huge contract they have with Iran.

And why I watch the Fox channel is that they are very funny guys, I think it was a former general that spoke about how tough the environment was in the border between Afghanistan and Pakistan and then compare it with when Alexander the great was there. And later he mentioned that a happy German is a German in uniform in middle of Paris. Laughing
kida_greenleaf

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just dangerous to generalize. there are many movies from "lawrence of arabia" to "three kings" with sympathetic middle-eastern characters. saying all hollywood movies from a certain time did one thing shows a lack of breadth in the film world.

you're also leaving out tons of smaller, independent films made by filmmakers of all races with protagonists and villains of all races.

that said, not too many british films looked too kindly on germany after ww2 either.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont go very deep in this - the history is so obscure about Alexandar that all we know about him comes from Demostenes and Plutarch. What if one of those were fantasists? or even both of them.
Like today we have a story about Arthur...I think at least this time Warner can feel free to imagination - I hated JFK because that was not true.

But this - who the hell knows!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: