Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointment...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Colin Farrell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slashersivi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Disappointment... Reply with quote

Colin Farrel is an okay actor, but he really doesn't suit Alexander as far as looks go and from what I've seen of his other characters, probably will mutilate Alexander's personality/NATURE. Argh! I don't like the fact all these big names got cast - it says to me all that matters is GAIN, money, money, money, like it always does, and I think it's terrible.

But anyway, I think Farrel looks to "manly" to play the part... I mean Alexander was strong, but not a very big guy, and not the kind of "handsome" that Farrel is (though truthfully I don't really find Farrel that handsome/cute/etc. anyway. :p)
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, unless you go back in time, NOBODY knows what Alexander was like - truly. You have to remember (as you indirectly pointed out) this is a MOVIE and if nothing else, rightly or wrongly, will at least promote the name of Alexander to the masses. There are plenty of people out there that are ignorant of Alexander. At the worst this movie will bring his name to their attention. Some will argue that the facts will be twisted - but there are no genuine FACTS - most things were reported several hundred years after his death - but at least people will be aware and can then continue their own research. Just my own personal thoughts on the matter Smile
meshuggahruls

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: (not for kevin,,, for crazy guy at the top.) slashersivi. Reply with quote

this is for slashersivi
number one.... not every one in the movie is well known ... two .. who gives a **** as long as the acting is good ... three... you are being a non supportive ****. Mad
sorry if that offended u .. just my opinion of the moment.
bye
zipporah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slashersivi ... from what I can work out from your few posts you think this movie will be awful, have real issues with the chosen main actors and are determined to hate everything about it. I'm all for varied discussion, but if you're so against this film why are you posting here, on a message board dedicated to it?

I'm reserving judgement on acting, casting and plot until I've seen the film. But I think it's silly to say that Colin Farrell doesn't look like Alexander and has the wrong personality. We don't know exactly what Alexander looked like and scholars have been arguing over his nature for centuries. It's only Hollywood.
maryp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(though truthfully I don't really find Farrel that handsome/cute/etc. anyway. :p)

Makes me realize that it's not even worth replying to this post! Laughing
slashersivi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why am I posting here? Because I thought I would find other people interested in the historical Alexander, and besides I'm allowed to have an opinion aren't I? Things aren't always sunshine and roses, and besides, generally a forum means discussion, and what kind of discussion is it if everyone is just agreeing and nodding their heads about eveything? :p

Sure no one really knows quite what Alexander looked or acted like, but from history and what Arrian pieced together of the lost records, we can get a pretty good idea.
Poppea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Robin Lane Fox seemed pretty impressed, so that'll do me nicely until I can make up my own mind when I watch the film.
Cid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zipporah wrote:
Slashersivi ... from what I can work out from your few posts you think this movie will be awful, have real issues with the chosen main actors and are determined to hate everything about it. I'm all for varied discussion, but if you're so against this film why are you posting here, on a message board dedicated to it?

I'm reserving judgement on acting, casting and plot until I've seen the film. But I think it's silly to say that Colin Farrell doesn't look like Alexander and has the wrong personality. We don't know exactly what Alexander looked like and scholars have been arguing over his nature for centuries. It's only Hollywood.

No it´s actually not Hollywood. Alexander is entirely produced by European companies because Hollywood studios didn´t want to. Warner Bros only distributes Alexander. I always though Colin Farrell was a good actor after Phone Booth, he really proved his worth in that movie. He´ll be good as Alexander, that´s my guess.
zipporah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what do I know about movies? I just meant the movie business in general. Which, as a business, is more interested in money than in authenticity. So I don't get that wound up when films are 'wrong'.
Cid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zipporah wrote:
Well what do I know about movies? I just meant the movie business in general. Which, as a business, is more interested in money than in authenticity. So I don't get that wound up when films are 'wrong'.

Oliver Stone isn´t your normal Hollywood director. He uses Hopkins and Kilmer because he´s worked with them before. Stone never casts actors that can´t fullfil their roles, till this day it has never happened. So I am sure that Farrell was cast for a good reason, same for Jolie and Leto. Most film-makers are more interested in profit than the movie itself, Stone made most of his movies without that thinking. Platoon and JFK his best movies did badly on the blockbuster but are known as masterpieces. Alexander will probably do good but that doesn´t mean it´s a moneysucking hollywood crap-flick.
zipporah

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ... I wasn't the one criticising the film before anyone's even seen it Rolling Eyes. I was pointing out to the original poster that if it *is* bad, it really isn't something to worry about too much.
mOoK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin is the best actor no matter what. Very Happy Don't get UPSET!!! lol Wink
nebari_at_heart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand slashersivi's point - at first i doubted whether mr farrell wa the best guy for the part. i just couldn't see him as an alexander kinda guy. but after seeing the trailer, i'm really excited now! i think Colin will bring at least something to the part, and i'm interested to see how he does.

and i am willing to support colin on every role, i have good faith that he will do well. if he fluffs meh. i'm sure there's others out there willing to give alexander the great another go on the big screen.

and to be honest, slashersivi's first post wasn't actually THAT negative or desruptive, to be fair. [s]he was just expressing that [s]he has a few doubts about this movie from what [s]he's seen of it. right?
but maybe this film is to be seen as an interpretaion of Alexander's life - not a 100% accurate historical study, because not al that much is known about every aspect of his life and personality. opinions will always be split , i think.

WOAH that's a lot of soul searching for this early in the morning! sorry guys... but that's what i think on the matter. Very Happy that is my response to the whole damn discussion...to make up for time that i wasn't here.

Nari
Aella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand your point, really. If you don't like him or the movie why did you bother to post this? Confused

(And why the insults...?!)

Have a nice life. Although I think you're not going very far with that attitude.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also said you weren't coming back after your first post!

Sticks and stones and all that - you've registered under different names previously anyway so you obviously can't keep away. Maybe you need to keep practicing in front of the mirror when you say 'Get a life'?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Colin Farrell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: