Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why give Cassandar a big role in the film?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Why give Cassandar a big role in the film? Reply with quote

Sorry if I sound misinformed, I m not totally uptodate on all things Alexander, but just from reading the bit that I have from various books, I was made to understand that Cassandar really didn't have a role to play in Alexander's life much. Other than being childhood school chums, he never went on Alexander's marches did he? He really only plays a big role after his death. From what we've seen in pictures and all it seems Stone is playing him as the main villian in the story, with him always being with Alexander and perhaps getting jealous? Any opinions? Corrections? Wink
Jenna Corinth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that's accurate. Cassander didn't play a large part in Alexander's life, and they certainly weren't school chums either, they hated each other. Cassander didn't make an appearance during Alexander's travels until after Hephaistion died, so Alexander would only have had a few months to live.

Oliver needs a main protagonist in the film, it looks like Cassander and possibly Roxane are filling this role.
Ammon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really good question rtms!! I agree Jenna, if Cassander is going to be implicated in Alex's death - the audience kinda needs to know who he is.

The big question is just HOW FAR Stone will go down the assination route. It's THE big mystery around Alexander and he hasn't mentioned it in any interviews. I really hope he ends the movie ambiguously - Cassander, disease, drink, war wounds, dissappointment and bereavement all in the mix.
Child of a Dream

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's a very incomprehensible thing. And why is not Memnon taking any part at all?? He is a very important character, and one of my fav!

I don't understand Sad
Ammon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Memnon! surely!!! What happened to him, and even Barsine!?

I suppose because Gaugamela and India are the two battles.. Memnon might have been chopped.

Actually there's quite a lot still missing; Antipater, Sysigambis + daughters, Egypt seems forgottten... what happen to the visit to Siwah oasis, and eh.. ahem.. Ammon!

I assume Ptolomy will fill in the gaps. Everything can't fit into 2hr 45min after all. I trust Stone. just about Confused Very Happy
rtms

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like he's going to have him play the main villian and have all the resentments and jealousies channeled through him, instead of the various plots. Which of course means he has to be hanging around for all of that to come through. Oh well, Hollywood likes it's liberties.

I really hope that Stone and the studio come out with a directors cut,an extended version of the film on DVD. It could really be a cool one if done right.
peritas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what,no sisygambis?can't be tell me its a lie!
cassander had epileptic fits when encountering alexander's staues even after his death!(guilty concience perhaps?)
tintin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna Corinth wrote:
I would say that's accurate. Cassander didn't play a large part in Alexander's life, and they certainly weren't school chums either, they hated each other. Cassander didn't make an appearance during Alexander's travels until after Hephaistion died, so Alexander would only have had a few months to live.

Oliver needs a main protagonist in the film, it looks like Cassander and possibly Roxane are filling this role.

Totally agree with your opinion. Cassander, the son of Antipater, hated and envied Alexander, but did not play much of a role in Alexander's life except in the dismemberment of Alexander's Empire, after his death. So it may make sense, because it is a Hollywood movie after all, for Stone to have picked Cassender for the part.

Since I haven't yet seen the film (I'll see it tonite), I'd hope Roxane is not made into a protagonistic type. For what I know from my readings, I have never come across anything, which would suggest that Roxane had the least negative feelings toward her husband.
Jenna Corinth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'd say not mourning his death at all, combined with killing a few people might suggest she wasn't overly fond of her husband.
mOoK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think he's kinda hot Rolling Eyes not as hot as alexander [ colin ] anyway lol Laughing
manos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had the same question for Troy. Why did they give to the bitch of Achilleus such a big role in the movie?
halfaery

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? You don´t know why Kassander had such a "big" role? Kassander was there for me, just for me!! He´s my eye-candy! ...As well as so many other men...or eunuch... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: