Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Making of Alexander Book!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mOoK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: The Making of Alexander Book!!!!! Reply with quote

Have you guys bought it? That book is so awesome and you can be sure about that. I just bought it like 2 days ago. Nice book!!! loads of pix I'm sure u guys are gonna love it!!!
by the way, Colin's soooooooooooooooow HOT!!!!

cheers love

Cheers Love
mOoK xXx
Jazzfic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read plenty of folks raving about it, so I ordered a copy from amazon, but it will take a week or so to reach Aus. I don't mind as it's apparently worth getting.

Jen
mOoK

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u will neva eva regr8 it Jazz!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy it's absolutely worthy of your time!!! Enjoyyy xxx

Cheers Love

mOoK Wink
trapp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: The Making of Alexander Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the book is much better than the movie! Sad
Alec

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: pfff Reply with quote

Doesn't matter which one's the best, the point is that movie is great, the soundtrack's great so let the book be great too. It's not a championship!
(i ordered the book yesterday, dyin to get it faster !!!)

Alec
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks

Oops! I've just put a thread on the 'Post Release' forum saying I've just bought the book, I didn't see mOok's thread here.

There seems to be a 'battle' building up between Colin's fans and Jared's fans to see who is the best Laughing . It would make an interesting survey: who likes which man best and why?

I shall stop sitting on the fence and say that I'm on the Colin side, I'm afraid.

[I'm not serious about the battle, its only meant to be in fun Smile ]
trapp

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film wasn't great, although unlike many, I didn't hate it. The principal problem was lack of focus; Stone didn't seem to know what he thought about his subject and that affected Farrell's performance. I found it hard to believe a general so whiney and guilt ridden could have induced an army to follow him all the way to India. However, I did like the score and parts of the film, mainly the "Young Alexander" scenes, the battles and the entrance into Babylon. I thought the use of the eagle was very effective symbolism. In my book, the major actors all left a lot to be desired. Old pros Christopher Plummer and Brian Blessed delivered, but they were hardly in the movie. Connor Paolo was great but he wasn't around that long, either.

Stone's portrayal of Alexander's bisexuality was very gutsy but undoubtably cost him tens of millions in box office revenues, not just in the United States.

The task of getting Alexander on film was Herculean and this is well depicted in Robin Lane Fox's glossy, urbane and informative book. It's just too bad the end product didn't match the vision. Stone aimed for his movie to be in a class with intelligent spectacle films like Lawrence of Arabia and Spartacus, but it fell far short.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stone aimed for his movie to be in a class with intelligent spectacle films like Lawrence of Arabia and Spartacus, but it fell far short.

Funny you should say that Trapp, I was just thinking the other day that Peter O'Toole from Lawrence of Arabia would have made a convincing Alexander. A shame he is too old now and they didn't make Alexander years ago.

I'm really enjoying the book, I'm glad its intelligently written and I can't just whip through it in 5 minutes. I'm just reading little bits at a time to prolongue the experience Smile
Alec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Oh god! Reply with quote

Oh god, oh my goodness !!!
I just received the Making of 20 minutes ago !!! It seems to be great!!
Now i got it i'm dying to read it entirely!!

Alec Laughing
halfaery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confess... Smile I ordered the book... Hopefully I get it soon!
lardvaark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered the book, I've technically got the book, but I can't get to the book right now.....

It's apparently been delivered safe and sound to my parents' address. I never get anything important delivered to my Soton address, as things have mysteriously gone missing from there in the past. So, I've just got to get through the next 24 hours.

And if they open it I'll kill 'em.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will all enjoy the book, its got lots of lovely pictures Smile I must admit, I did not find the technical bits that interesting but I think that is just cos I was trying to rush to the 'people' bits giving information about how everyone got on, what happened in certain scenes etc. I think the actors all really got into their roles, which is good, but it is a shame that audiences didn't respond as enthusiastically [apart from us lot of course].
Alec

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: great but.. Reply with quote

The book is great, i've started to read it and it's cool!!! The pictures are wonderful but... something disappoints me : there's no picture where we can see Colin all naked with Roxana all naked too Wink
S**t they forgot the sex sociologist in their book !!! How can i do my job if i don't have any picture to deal with Laughing

Alec Twisted Evil
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Alec, imagination is a wonderful thing!! Or, I suppose you'll have to go to see the film again to do some intellectual analysis. Then, when the DVD comes out you can analyze it frame by frame:)

I'm with you on the book - couldn't wait to digest the whole thing. I don't know how Catherine did it - I couldn't have that kind of control. I had it open and thumbing through the pictures the second I got into my car out of the bookstore.
lardvaark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it! Finally! And I got to it last thing last night, and got about 4 hours' sleep! And it was worth it!
And now I've got to go again!

L
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Pre-Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: