Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Was really Alexander homosexual?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nebari_at_heart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:
Goldsnail wrote:
Most likely he just never thought about it and didn't imagine anyone could make it an issue.

that's really how it should be, isn't it? I bet in the future, people will look back at the fuss that is made today about sexuality and laugh because it won't be an issue then. If people love people, who cares what sex they are? Confused

straight up, man!
petar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awakener wrote:
Hi my name is Alexandros and I am from Thessaloniki (Macedonia). Can any body tell me what the English word for Έρωτας is and what it means? Can any body tell me what the English word for Φιλότιμο is and what it means? Also according to the topic I want to ask if anybody knows the English word for Παιδεραστης? Ill be waiting for reply!

hi Awake,

just for fun, here is my very belated attempt:

Φιλότιμο : pride
Έρωτας : Love
Παιδεραστης : Pedophile

(of course the neg connotation attached to the word Pedophile would not exsist in that culture since man/boy relations were perceived differently)

"pride" might be off, although it was listed with the following as a translation for pride in Ελληνική (Greek) ....
n. υπερηφάνεια, αλαζονεία, έπαρση, υπεροψία, εγωισμός, φιλοτιμία, φιλότιμο, καμάρι, καύχημα, αγέλη (λιονταριών) v. καμαρώνω, καυχιέμαι, υπερηφανεύομαι

on the otherhand, in a discussion of limitations in translating, Costas Gabrielatos says exact translation of φιλότιμο " is impossible" as the concept or expression is "not shared by the two cultures. We can of course explain their meaning but we cannot give equivalents."

i think that the previous poster who took a stab at this translation was pretty accurate ...

Alexia (?) said:

a. ***
b. love of a friend
c. boy love

if this debate was resolved, sorry, i havent read that far yet. I enjoy a good mystery and the challenge awakened my curiousity and motivation Wink i had fun during my quest
petar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually "eros" is more accurate than "love" as the translation for έρωτας
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Φιλότιμο (philótimo) = Φίλος + Τίμιος = Friend + Honesty = The person who likes honesty in all levels of his/her life. Day by day or life in general. Example: When the sidewalk outside your shop as well as your neighbours house (who is an old lady that can not walk) is full of ice and the authorities haven't got the means or the time to deal just with your problem, you brake the ice and clean both your part as well as the old lady's, without having been asked to do so or making a big fass about it to anyone. Φιλότιμο is what those 160000 anonymous volunteers had during the Athens 2004 Olympic games.

Έρωτας (Érotas/Éros) = passionate love and most of the time it has to do with the love that extends to sex. Example: Έρωτας is what Romeo and Juliet felt for eachother. That strong!
petar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: thanks Lala! Reply with quote

that was very interesting! i love language, but am decidedly bad at it. in school i studied german, french, and spanish, but never learned any of them. my grandfather was greek and lived most of his life in greece, but i never learned any of the language really. my father is dutch, but i only speak a few words (i understand much more). still, i love to learn about the various meanings and translations.

having admitted that i am no expert - i do not view cleaning your neighbor's walk as honesty - is it dishonest to not clean her walk? i see it as more closely fitting the notion of pride - not in the arrogant sense of the word, but in the sense of dignity and respect (extending to the valuing of doing the "right" thing). of course adding the word friend to honesty does alter the meaning and i can see the idea of friend-honesty as 'being a true friend' or 'doing right by' your friends. i like your explanation of the meaning of Φιλότιμο.

there must be a precise english word that describes those 160000 anonymous volunteers ... isn't there?

yes i agree that eros is a more accurate translation than love for Έρωτας .
<sigh> haven't felt that for too long Sad

may i ask your source(s)? i used google and wandered around from link to link (often being distracted by reading about other translations or ideas) Wink

so... do you think eros applies to the relationship between alex and heph? if not what word do you think best describes it?
Vrettas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eros - *** Love

Phile - Love you'd have for your brother or best friend

Stog're - This noun refers to a familial love

Agape - Unselfish Love

Do any of the ancient writings use any of these words to describe Alexander and Hephastion?
Catherine X

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vrettas wrote:
Eros - *** Love

Phile - Love you'd have for your brother or best friend

Agape - Unselfish Love

Do any of the ancient writings use any of these words to describe Alexander and Hephastion?

Thanks Vrettas, that is really interesting. I was just talking about how we need different words for Love in English language, that would make life much simpler. Apparently the Inuits have lots of different words for Friend, which I think is also a good idea. It would make people's relationships much clearer. Cool
Lala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petar, Very Happy, I must admit that I am no expert in English... but then again, I am not a liguist. I simply try to give the sentiment of the words. You are right about my examples...maybe they are a little "unlucky" (as we say here). As for the 160000 volunteers...well, I don't know if there is a word for them. As for the word "honest" it was wrong. Check out this: http://www.in.gr/dictionary/lookup.asp?Word=%F4%DF%EC%E9%EF%F2 Fair, would be more presise.

http://www.in.gr/dictionary/lookup.asp?Word=%F6%E9%EB%FC%F4%E9%EC%EF

Vrettas, you said:
Quote:
The word is Storgé, and your point was good
petar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Petar, , I must admit that I am no expert in English... but then again, I am not a liguist. I simply try to give the sentiment of the words. You are right about my examples...maybe they are a little "unlucky" (as we say here). As for the 160000 volunteers...well, I don't know if there is a word for them. As for the word "honest" it was wrong. Check out this: http://www.in.gr/dictionary/lookup.asp?Word=%F4%DF%EC%E9%EF%F2 Fair, would be more presise.

http://www.in.gr/dictionary/lookup.asp?Word=%F6%E9%EB%FC%F4%E9%EC%EF

i followed your links THANKS!

i see the fairness of the sweeping mire clearly but think i understand how the term you first used "honrdyu" would apply in the context of the definition i read when following the link. i am not sure i understand, but i think i do Wink thanks for explaining. Smile
Lala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
carabest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Lovers Reply with quote

Alexander loved beauty in whatever form he encountered. He was involved with more women than men but that's just numbers and may or may not have anything to do with the depth of affection he felt. Let's leave it at that.
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lovers Reply with quote

carabest wrote:
Alexander loved beauty in whatever form he encountered. He was involved with more women than men but that's just numbers and may or may not have anything to do with the depth of affection he felt. Let's leave it at that.

I agree Smile
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lovers Reply with quote

carabest wrote:

Well said carabest... I agree Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: