Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAW THE MOVIE, IT SUCKS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/larrymyth/aristophanes-symposium.html
octavia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, Lala, I just love you!
thank you for good inlightment and direction Exclamation
cindoo15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so so very much for posting Plato's theory of love. Lightbulb shining over the top of my head when I read it.

Now I believe I understand exactly what Alexander meant when he told the daughter of Darius when she spoke to Hephaestion, believing him to be Alexander, that it was alright because Hephaestion was also Alexander. Oh, I love this. I am learning so much here. Thank you again.
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome
Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Lala Smile
vulgaren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a tremendous thought - you really made me think here. Yes, we do appear backward to Alexander in this sense. Actually, last night I was thinking about how much of a forward thinking man Alexander appears to be in many ways with his acceptance of many different races and cultures. Our world could learn much from this.

As for the snowhite reference, I don't get it.[/quote]

Thanks cindoo - I suppose everything would be boring if we don't draw parallels to today? I would't expect anything less than that from Stone.
Don't worry about Snowhite, I suppose Teletubbies never liked her.. Rolling Eyes
zoisnick

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lala
If you see what Plato says is "for the intense yearning which each of them has towards the other does not appear to be the desire of lover's intercourse".
Do you people get it?
Back then men were very close friends "brother souls" not sodomists.
And it is normal to have a friend that you can open up your heart more than you can towards your wife. Women cannot understand everything a man thinks because they are different.
It is wise not to allow the lower half of your bodily needs control your upper half.
Check these pages out if you want to see what is going on :
http://www.rense.com
http://www.powerofprophecy.com
God gave us a brain so we can make complex thoughts.
If He wanted us to act like dogs he would have given us a dogs' brain.
Stop eating meat all the time and mutated foods or you'll degenerate totally.
Do not forget that Alexander destroyed a degenerate empire because he believed in God, Greece , Virtue and the institution of family.
No army of homosexuals ever created anything.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoisnick - wasn't this 400BC - i mean before Christ!
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zoisnick wrote:
Lala
If you see what Plato says is "for the intense yearning which each of them has towards the other does not appear to be the desire of lover's intercourse"

...I never said I believe Alexander was gay. Never read if he was or if he wasn't, in any historical books. All I was mentioning was that one of the Greatest philosophers which Aristotle tought Alexander was Plato. And his theory about love was this.
bob2648

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this, the age of the computer, when you make a movie about a real person you should stick to history. most people can go to the net and check the historical facts.
Stone didn't check his facts, or changed them to make the movie more interesting. Now he is getting hammered for it. I still have issues with Stone about Platoon. He also freely admits that JFK was not based on factual events, he just wanted people to start thinking.
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one good thing he's (O.S.) done with this movie is to put Alexander in our homes and in our minds. Now, if he hadn't intrigued us with something (anything), we probably wouldn't be so interested in the move nor in Alexander himself.
sage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Alexandrus, Alexandrus, Alexandrus Reply with quote

I would suggest that 'Alexandrus,' (interest name) read 'Death of the Author,' before offering up a film critique, as he gives much information about 'himself,' in his evaluation of the film. I would also like to respond to his vulgar attack on the film and the genius of Mr. Stone. Please remember this is only a film and Mr. Stone indicated that he used a lot of fiction in the film. I also find it interesting that Alexandrus utilizes this film to project his own homesexual fantasies, and homo *** longings. After all, this is just a film--that really doesn't talk back to us, but allows us to project our own psyche into. Perhaps Alexandrus would do well to obtain some psychotherapy for his own homosexual strivings, as I don't see his response to the film as homophobic at all, but a projection of Alexandrus own homosexuality being projected into the film.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Alexandrus, Alexandrus, Alexandrus Reply with quote

sage wrote:
I would suggest that 'Alexandrus,' (interest name) read 'Death of the Author,' before offering up a film critique, as he gives much information about 'himself,' in his evaluation of the film. I would also like to respond to his vulgar attack on the film and the genius of Mr. Stone. Please remember this is only a film and Mr. Stone indicated that he used a lot of fiction in the film. I also find it interesting that Alexandrus utilizes this film to project his own homesexual fantasies, and homo *** longings. After all, this is just a film--that really doesn't talk back to us, but allows us to project our own psyche into. Perhaps Alexandrus would do well to obtain some psychotherapy for his own homosexual strivings, as I don't see his response to the film as homophobic at all, but a projection of Alexandrus own homosexuality being projected into the film.

Well said sage - I wrote this earlier:
Yeah cindoo but don't you you think that Stone wanted just that - so we can see ourselves in the mirror and consider ourselves even 'backward' in a sense to Alexander?
whatever2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some degree I agree with you alexandrus. The movies lacked eloberation on many aspects of ATG's life, and skipped through events before one could feel anything at all.
heavenlysurfer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: liked it Reply with quote

I liked it. To do justice to the material you'd need to make a trilogy of films or a TV mimiseries...all in all, not a bad job my Stone...

old Alexander buff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: