Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those who saw the movie
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
octavia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: For those who saw the movie Reply with quote

Hello world. My friends.
How do I even begin this…
This movie was something that I was waiting for decades…
I cannot even begin to describe the love I bare for Alexander since I was a child, certainly I read all there is there to read, including the documents
…. and historical novels, Manfredi and Renault being my favorite…
Yesterday, when I came out of the theatre, I had my blood pressure so high up, I thought I’d die right there. This is how physically depressed I was. No joke here. I couldn’t sleep during the night, and this morning I am still a little shaken.

I will cut my story short, and will not go into endless debate regarding hundreds of aspects this movie failed to achieve, for the movie of this magnitude as a whole is despicably awful.
At the moment I will only ramble on the representation of Scythian princess… because this issue is not something that I want go along with, again and again forgiving Hollywood for misrepresentation of facts. This is the one that arises actual anger in me.
I am from Kazakhstan, I live in this country all my life, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan are right next door, yes, I am from those steppes and plains that scythes were all about…. Believe me, I would be the person who knows how we would look like at those times. Definitely not like Dawson. (somebody here already discussed this subject, I just don’t want to stay quiet either).
Putting Dawson there is like saying that elephants inhabit Scandinavia, or skiing is popular on Maldives…
I understand that Mr. Stone probably had his own vision of such, but why confuse history? You want to make a fairy tale, fine, go with that, do something like Scorpion King or The 13th Warrior. Great movies, I enjoyed them a great deal, but those are fiction.
Why does he want to upset so many nations by changing facts so radically?
I’ve been reading this forum inside out for months before I saw the movie. I can only imagine now how much brawling it will arise among other nations depicted in the film.
I am very sorry I had to open the subject... Please try to understand….
And no stones throwing Smile I just wanted to be heard from this part of the world.
This is even more depressing when I see that the costumes are absolutely correct, so why go through all this trouble of carefully picking out costumes and decorations, of consulting the historians, and than ruin all that by giving us an afro-american face? It could be funny really, if that was not so sad.
When this Roxana first appeared on the screen, the whole theater, 100 something people, actually sighed with surprise and disbelieve. And those are the people who practically know little about Alexander, just came in for a show like 90% of us do…

On a different note, - horses. if anyone is an equestrian here, it would be nice to discuss this as well.

Apologies for not touching Hephaestion theme. I know this is your favorite Smile , and I agree. But I will not discuss that, because if I do, I will never stop. Just two words though, - this is personal, this is beautiful, they failed to show that. They should have never touched this, since they don’t know how…
(Leto is good though, most darling sweet man, thank god for that.)

Salamaaleikum, all.
Lala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I’ve been reading this forum inside out for months before I saw the movie.
It was about time you spoke!!! (wrote) Laughing Laughing [/quote]
smith

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes you feel better this movie was number 6 at the US box office behind Sponge Bob! I don't think they had any big budget movie that opened lower this year
TheSlayer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say this. Oliver Stone NEVER ONCE SAID, "this is a documentary about Alexander the Great". He merely said it was "based" on his history.

Therefore, it is HIS artistic vision and he has artistic license to do as pleases with it. This is not to say that many things were not changed, BUT.....honestly . . . I could pick apart "Lord of the Rings" the same way. Many people LOVED those movies (including myself) but they were by NO MEANS book standard.

I believe it is foolish to argue and point fingers over things like this. I enjoyed the movie for what it was . . . entertainment.

Remember, it is JUST a movie.....it needn't warp your perception of the REAL Alexander in the least!
ChristianMacedon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Remember, it is JUST a movie.

Word
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just a movie, but some people that don't know much about history would think it is the exact thing that really happened!

If they wanted to make a movie merely based on Alexander's life they should've just created some other person.

It is not fair to mess with history..

But I did like the movie, it was good ...
mOoK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian_88 wrote:
It is just a movie, but some people that don't know much about history would think it is the exact thing that really happened!

ur absolutely right dude Confused
heavenlysurfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: success Reply with quote

Most filmgoers want a hero and a happy ending at the expense of facts and history...and many especially in US can't accept ATG's feelings about male companions...

People who disliked were also prob not too knowlegeable about ATG's life..but I'm sure there were some that were that didnt like also...

Would like to have seen a longer version-maybe better suited for TV, like a miniseries..but it prob won't happen for a long time now..
Ely

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: success Reply with quote

heavenlysurfer wrote:

Would like to have seen a longer version-maybe better suited for TV, like a miniseries..but it prob won't happen for a long time now..

I heard there's another movie in production about Alexander, but Im not sure to what extent this might be true.

On the other hand, I dont know why people critize this movie so much, It was a great movie in my opinion, People this is a MOVIE!! Not "The History Channel" it's by no means a documentary, Relax for god's sake.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: success Reply with quote

[quote="Ely"]

I heard there's another movie in production about Alexander, but Im not sure to what extent this might be true.

[quote]

Not any more - preproduction has been stopped.
heavenlysurfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: new vewrsion Reply with quote

There was another vesion to be filmed by director (moulin Rouge) Baz Luchman(spelling?) starring Leo Decaprio, but I heard it's been put on hold..

and also heard rumor Mel Gibson was going to do a TV miniseries version, but not sure if that was true or status now...

These others may have second thoughts now...feeling that the public won't go for another one..
Stiganora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who say - it's just a movie. A charming movie which you want to see again and again. It's impossible to put all Alexander's life in 3 hours of the movie. And when you go to see it you are aware that you won't see all his battles and all his friend (Selevk wasn't there). Comparing with TROY, Alexander is more historic in all respects. Those papirys sheets, vases, palaces, sculptures - I guess it all took a damn great bit of time and money, but the result is fascinating. And battles - what's the purpose of cloning the battle scene (the Gaugamelas)? There are two great battles in the film, why show more? It would turn the whole thing into a blockbuster with plenty of blood and guts, nothing more, because there won't be time for anything else. It's a pity they didn't show the Fire of Persepois, the obtaining of the Achilles shield (but the shield itself is shown) but at least old Ptolemeus mentions the Oracle, Perpepolis, Egypt.
They were accurate with the details, and I respect Stone for that. Even the detail about Bucefalus fearing his shadow (as Plutarch wrote in Alexander's bioraphy)!
Those who say that the relationship (deepest love:) between Heph. and Alex. wasn't shown as sincere and deep as it should, may be right, of course. But I think that such love, mixed with friendship and brotherhood, lifelong lasting and standing both the greatness and the misery - such love does not exist in today's world evermore. It remains only in our memories of Alexander and Hephaistion. How can we describet what we've never experienced or seen in real life? So I think that Farrel and Leto did their best. They were sweet, especially Hephaistion. The soulmates, the two of them, Alexander and Hephaistion are the greatest couple I've ever seen or read about. (maybe Achilles and Patroclos, or Xena and Gabrielle may be compared to them).
tintin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSlayer wrote:
I believe it is foolish to argue and point fingers over things like this. I enjoyed the movie for what it was . . . entertainment.

Remember, it is JUST a movie.....it needn't warp your perception of the REAL Alexander in the least!

It's been more that two weeks since I saw the movie (Actually, I saw it twice). I, also, had been looking forward to seeing it for more than a year, and, before that, hoping for so many years someone would dare to make such a film about Megalexandros.

On my first viewing of the film, I was too overwhelmed to make a sound judgment, so I saw it a second time, few days later. During my second viewing, I was able to appreciate the film for what it is, with a critical eye toward the, the acting, the sets, the music, etc., and of course, its historical accuracy. I came out with somewhat mixed feelings.

However, few weeks later, I finally came to realize that indeed it was only a film, and therefore I must take it as such. So, for all its shortcomings, I am grateful to Oliver Stone for having made this film, as there were some great moments and all in all it was a good film.
Alexandrus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This goes for all who hated the movie but that out of respect, don't say what they really want to say. I will do it for you, I will be the one to trash this film like it deserves. THE MOVIE SUCKS, it's a piece of trash, don't even place this film in the same sentance as Lord Of The Rings like someone did. This movie is down there with the crappiest films hollywood has ever created. Historically inacurate, battle scenes that are so confusing I wanted to cry, homosexuality at it's maximum expression, WHO CARES IF HE WAS GAY!!!!, the guy was the greatest general of all time and you focus on his gay relashionships and his crazy mom? what are you thinking Oliver. If I were Greek, I would sue Oliver Stone, as a matter of fact, I want to sue him $11.00 that I paid for the ticket. How could you guys say its a great film? I don't get it, what is great about it. It shows a weak and manipulated man that nobody respected, not even his generals,HE THOUGHT HE WAS A GOD, THEY LOVED HIM TO DEATH, why do they show a weak and manipulated man, it just blows me away. Even a fool would agree with the fact that any person who thinks of himself as a god is arrogant, powerful, mean, maybe evil, not an insecure and oppresed queer. All I want is this,...stop saying it was a great film... IT SUCKS and I am glad it is making so little in the box office because it doesn't deserve less. I am glad that Oliver's reputation is down the drain with this film because he messed up a great life.
Lala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will quote the Greek lawyers' expression after the first screeningn of the film in Greece: "we stopped the law suit because after all the movie isn't worth it. I didn't like the movie. Not as a lawyer but as a movie-goer."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: