Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have they found Alexander?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Have they found Alexander? Reply with quote

This was printing in one of yesterday's newspapers.....
Quote:
It could be one of the worst cases of mistaken identity ever known. A British historian is claiming that the venerated tomb of St Mark in Venice contains not the great evangelist but the body of the most famous warlord in history.

The mummified remains buried beneath the altar of St Mark's Basilica in fact belong to Alexander the Great, according to Andrew Chugg, a respected authority on the Macedonian conqueror.

His theory, a complex tale of medieval body-snatching, is already dividing the academic world. This week he will cause outrage among devout Catholics when, writing in the latest edition ofHistory Today, he says the saintly relics should be exhumed and subjected to genetic testing.

Locating the body's resting place has been rated as the holy grail of archaeology. Alexander, a Macedonian king living in the 4th century BC, had godlike status during his lifetime and for many centuries after. By his 30th birthday he had conquered an empire stretching 3,000 miles from Greece to India.

His life will be dramatised later this year in a "sword and sandals" Hollywood epic starring Colin Farrell, Angelina Jolie and Sir Anthony Hopkins and directed by Oliver Stone.

Alexander died aged 32 or 33, according to some authorities, and for 700 years his corpse lay entombed in the Egyptian city of Alexandria, which he founded. Yet, by the 4th century AD it had vanished.

Mr Chugg, the author of several books on Alexander, believes the confusion occurred when the warrior's body was disguised as St Mark to protect it from destruction during a Christian uprising.

"Both bodies were said to be mummified in linen, and one seems to disappear at the same time that the other appears - in almost exactly the same place, near the central crossroads of Alexandria," he writes. "It's a strong possibility that somebody in the Church hierarchy, perhaps even the Patriarch himself, decided it might be a good plan to pretend the remains of Alexander were those of St Mark.

"If this is true, then it was Alexander's remains - not those of St Mark - that were stolen by Venetian merchants and taken back to their native city some four centuries later." In fact, three early Christian sources state that St Mark's body was burnt after his death.

Mr Chugg's theory, elaborated in a forthcoming book, The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great, has divided academics. Robin Lane Fox of Oxford University, an eminent Alexander scholar who advised Oliver Stone on the film, was dismissive. "It's very charming, but it's slightly stale buns," he said.

But Paul Cartledge, professor of Greek history at Cambridge and author of Alexander the Great: The Hunt for a New Past, was enthusiastic. "There's certainly a chance it could be true, because there's a historical gap that needs to be filled," he said. "We all want to explain why the trail goes cold at the end of the 4th century. At that point, Christianity triumphs and nobody has a voice to say where this pre-Christian hero is buried. He just fades away."

Dr Paul Doherty, another recent biographer, said: "Alexander was regarded as almost a divine figure, and if we could get to the body, with DNA testing, we could find out a great deal about him - for instance, why he died so quickly. The corpse of Alexander's father, Philip, was discovered in Greek Macedonia in 1970, so there's no reason why we shouldn't find Alexander. The body is out there somewhere - but I suspect it is still under the streets of Alexandria."
dynamo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to remain sceptical.

Alexander being disguised as St Mark? It sounds too much like a conspirousy theory. All very nice and it would make a mediocore book sell like hot-cakes but.................... I just think it sounds too much like a load of conincidences being strung together to form a scetchy theory.
Ptolemy V

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Alexander is anywhere, the most likely place is somewhere under the streets of modern Alexandria. Apparently there is much unexcavated in this city, but it would mean bulldozing down most of the modern centre in order to dig up the ancient city. It doesn't look like that is going to happen, so Alexander's resting place will remain a mystery.
Alexia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so excited my toes are tingling. Of course it could be this or that, but isn't it exciting to think that we could finally have our beloved Alexander? I mean, who needs St. Mark, anyway? I can't wait to read the argument in full and to see what happens. I mean, would the church be foolish enough not to allow the exhumantion and let the question stand? If they could match the DNA with those of the royal tombs at Verginia that would be perfect, but my only question is over whether or not there is a question about Philip's body. Are we SURE it's his?
dynamo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why where's Phil buried??
Ptolemy V

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynamo wrote:
Why where's Phil buried??

Philip II's tomb was discovered at the site of Verghina (south west of Thessaloniki) in 1977. Verghina is now also believed to be the site of the original Macedonian capital of Aegae.

The tomb is a royal tomb that contained the cremated remains (including the skeleton) of either Philip II or Philip’s elder son and Alexander’s half brother, Philip III Arrhidaios.

Analysis of the skeleton (a short, stocky man in his early 40s) and the tomb itself (the tomb is dated to the fourth quarter of the 4th century BC and it contains portrait sculptures (http://www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21117a/00/lk17a044.jpg) and painted friezes of Philip II and Alexander) has revealed that it is almost certainly that of Philip II.

Anthropological examination of the skull, showing an injury to the right eye, confirmed the identification of the skeleton as being that of Philip II (Philip lost his right eye during a seige).

The rich findings of the tomb were on display at the archaeological museum in Thessaloniki but I have read somewhere (can’t remember) that they were going to be transferred to a new specially built museum on the site at Verghina.
alex007

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin can we have the address to the website of the news paper that published the article. preferably the direst link to the article itself.

thankz,
Alex.
maryp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to pay to see the entire story..but assume you are looking for a contact email or something?

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/story.jsp?story=530969
Enkidu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Alexander's Tomb Reply with quote

Allright!!

If Alexander's body is not in Venice being mistaken for St. Mark,it might neither be in the streets of modern times Alexandria.Most probably it lays beneath the sea level (at Alexandria) since the oceans were a couple of yards lower in those days (the melting of the icecaps).
olympia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also some who claim that Alexander was buried at the oasis at Siwa in Egypt.

This seems to be highly controversial.
Here's a link:
http://www.1stmuse.com/alex3/siwa.html

another site here. I didn't read all of it (sorry, but too swamped with work Crying or Very sad )
http://www.grecoreport.com/the_tomb_of_alexander_the_great_at_the_siwa_oasis.htm
olympia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last link has some rantings on it, but the photographs at the end are worth looking at.....
Panther

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I've read on the topic, Ptolemy I of Egypt had the body either moved from Siwa or not buried there at all, and instead laid it to rest at the Royal Palace in Alexandria, for political purposes. After the eathquake that drowned Alexandria the palace, and thus the body disappeared under the salty waters of the Mediterranean.
olympia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panther wrote:
Last I've read on the topic, Ptolemy I of Egypt had the body either moved from Siwa or not buried there at all, and instead laid it to rest at the Royal Palace in Alexandria, for political purposes. After the eathquake that drowned Alexandria the palace, and thus the body disappeared under the salty waters of the Mediterranean.

That's what I always thought too. I thought a tomb was built for him in Alexandria.
That's why I thought it was interesting that they now started to talk about Alexander being buried at Siwa. I had not heard about that until I ran accross that site I mentioned a couple of weeks ago.

I'm surprised that his burial place is not well known. He was an honored leader when he died. I would have expected him to be buried with some pomp and all that.

Anyone know if his final resting place was mentioned by any of the classical authors?
Panther

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Plutarch mentions Julius Caesar visiting the tomb in Alexandria when he was there, and I'm sure as everyone knows Caesar wept there because he feared he could never be as great as Alex.
olympia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did not know that.
I find that a rather good reason to believe that Alexander rested in Alexandria at that time. Some 300 years is short enough for people to know where his burial place was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: