Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historical Incorrect: PERSIAN ANGLE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WRITING WAS NOT use in 5000 b.c.,and there is now proof the picture writing started first in the savanna regions and nubia very early as well and then it went to egypt in africa.
eryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lock wrote:
WRITING WAS NOT use in 5000 b.c.,and there is now proof the picture writing started first in the savanna regions and nubia very early as well and then it went to egypt in africa.

IT WAS, it depends what you are mean with writing.

"The first examples of writing are probably cave drawings, most famously found in France. Even these proto-languages show significant structure. The first examples of structured linear writing have been found in the lower Danube Valley and date from around 5000 BC. The first examples of Sumerian writing in Mesopotamia date from around 4000 BC."

http://en.***/wiki/Writing

Look for your self.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Proud Persian - There will be a huge exibition of Persian Empire in London in 2005. The curator of the British Museum had an interview in the Standard and he also said that the Persian Kingdom has been neglected.
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Neglected"? ...
vulgaren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes its influence in the history of the modern world as the first world empire.
Lala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I think it was about time someone cared to show the Persian culture/history.
2) I don't think it was the first world empire. Don't ignore the Chineese.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - the curator of British Museum said it was the first world empire, not me. I will see if I can find the link somewhere...
eryan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lala wrote:
1) I think it was about time someone cared to show the Persian culture/history.

I’m sorry to say that, but nobody gone cares about Persian history/culture. And nobody should either, except for us Persian. Is not easy for the rest of the world to react to lies about Persian history and culture, when we today have a regime that only goal is to destroy before build and to dispel all Persian history before 600 AD.

And then to hear that a British said "that the Persian Kingdom has been neglected". I don’t want there sympathy, only that they promise one day to give us back everything they have stolen from us in centuries and give back the money that Shah of Iran borrowed them before the Islamic revolution.

Read this:
http://www.***/2004-10/news/ArtNews2.asp

PS. The huge exhibition has been planed for a long time ago and has nothing with the Alexander movie.
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eryan wrote:
....and has nothing with the Alexander movie.
Then keep if off this board please. This forum is to discuss Alexander the Move Post Release - nothing else.
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin, I'm sorry I know we should keep this off the board but I just needed to add something.

Quote:
I’m sorry to say that, but nobody gone cares about Persian history/culture. And nobody should either, except for us Persian. Is not easy for the rest of the world to react to lies about Persian history and culture, when we today have a regime that only goal is to destroy before build and to dispel all Persian history before 600 AD.

Maybe noone but us cares about our own culture and long gone empire but I think the rest of the world should care b'cuz they can learn from it the way we did. Why shouldn't they? It was one of the greatest empires!

Besides, don't bring up anything about the new regime b'cuz its goal is not to distory but to give us our own name and it did, we aren't pets like the Arabs and you should be glad about that.

Don't say anything about Iran today b'cuz it's way too powerful, much more than you think.

Let's all stay in History, I think it's for the best...

I think it is a nice thing that the world knows the Persian history has been neglected b'cuz yes it has. We've seen movies about almost all kings and great people of before but Persia is not in them... It is not sympathy, it is the truth...

It should be in the picture more often.
Epirotan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
You know that History is written by the winners. This is true. The historians tell what Alexandros did in his short life, abd they consider his deeds amazing. I think this is a fact. Only few men in History changed the world so much in a so little time. Alexandros had been one of these men. We cannot compare him with Cyrus. The late was the founder of the Persian Empire. But what had been the difference with the other previous Empires? The Persians followed the Asian despotic rule of the Assyrians and Babylonians. Can we say the same about Alexandros? I'm not sure. If he could live more, maybe he would do the same. There are some indications about it. Some historians, even Greek ones, consider Alexandros is the destroyer of the Athenean democracy . The Epighones, his successors, are for sure despotic as their Persian kings before them. But we cannot say that they didn't expand the Greek spirit as it is written in the Greek philosophy and litterature. Did Alexandros conquests contribute to it? It is sure. Even the expansion of Christianity could not be possible, if there had not been the "Lingua Franca" of these historical period that is Greek. And without it, what would be the world today? Or, imagine what could happen, if Alexandros could live 20 more years, to fight the Carthageneans or the newly born Rome, as it is sayed in a scene of the movie? Who knows. It is sure that the main Alexandros' purpose was to destroy the Persian Empire and take revenge of their invasion to Greece. But after that he had the vision to unite people, to mix the races, to make another world. This vision has been realized partly, as Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Syrians for a long time after him made one world, the art, the religion, the civilization came together. For instance, after Alexandros' invasion, the Indians for the first time made pictures and statues of Buddha. The famous Indo-Hellenistic art. Yes, a new world was born. His dream lasted for long time in some countries. Of course, he is a conqueror, of course, he has made many crimes. It is obvious. But comparing with other conquerors too, i.e Genghis Han, or Tamerlan, can we say the same?
manos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who says that noone is interested in Persian History? People who like history want to get informations about different nations in different periods. At least in Greece, we know how brilliant was the Persian civilisation and how the Persians offer to the world, but most of the Greeks study history and are good at this, because we have quite a lot of neighbors who want to change it.... Wink
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The late was the founder of the Persian Empire. But what had been the difference with the other previous Empires? The Persians followed the Asian despotic rule of the Assyrians and Babylonians.

I mentioned why Cyrus was a great leader 'till this day and what do we get when we compare him to Alexander.

Alexander had power, true.. But I was talking about being fair to all countries you take over... And Alexander wasnt really fair when he attacked Persepolis.

Infact, and this is not something I read, but something someone read and told me about, Alexander attacked several places in Persia until he reached Cyrus'es tomb where he stopped as respect to him for he was a great leader...

Alexander did do alot of things in a short while, true, that is a + to the Greeks, not us... We were just trying to show what the Persian Empire really was...

Quote:
Who says that noone is interested in Persian History? People who like history want to get informations about different nations in different periods. At least in Greece, we know how brilliant was the Persian civilisation and how the Persians offer to the world, but most of the Greeks study history and are good at this, because we have quite a lot of neighbors who want to change it....

You my friend are a brilliant person but when you think about it on a bigger scale, the world doesnt think the way you do...

Persians don't get much for their history from the world the way they are supposed to.
Lala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Iranian-88, do you think that the entire world knows of all things that happened in Greek history? No! Most are ignorant of other major historical facts that shaped Greece and the Greek nation of today. The same goes for all other countries and nations. People tend to remember or be interested in the most important parts of a nations history. Only the ones that commit their lives to some sciences that demand more knowledge do know more. And sometimes art becomes a major contributor in order for people to notice cultures, histories, and civilizations. Good art can be a major media reference! Be it poems, novels, frescos, architecture, sculpture, costumes, mosaics, photography or even cinema.
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you're talking about... But I'm looking at it from a different angle I don't think you would understand...

I know a person that majored in history and when I brought up Cyrus, he didn't know him!

In some parts of the world the Persia empire doesn't play much of a role in history the way it should..

Maybe you guys know alot cuz you've lead a very strong and powerful empire yourself ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: