Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historical Incorrect: PERSIAN ANGLE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know a person that majored in history and when I brought up Cyrus, he didn't know him!
...sorry to hear that. To be honest I didn't know much about Cyrus either, but now that you mentioned him, it made me look for him!

Iranian_88 wrote:
Maybe you guys know alot cuz you've lead a very strong and powerful empire yourself ...
...maybe. At least they teach us about Alexander, how difficult it was to conquer the Persians that were powerful, many and had powerful kings.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian_88 wrote:

In some parts of the world the Persia empire doesn't play much of a role in history the way it should..

It couldn't as Alexanders marked the end of it - but he encouraged his Macedonian leaders to marry persian women and he supported the fusion between Macedonians and Persians which send a powerful message.
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It couldn't as Alexanders marked the end of it

That shouldn't be a reason, b'cuz if Alexander didn't put a stop to it someone was going to someday...

No one expects an empire to last until now...

Besides the Persian has years of culture and all, long before Alexander was born, that shouldn't just go with the wind b'cuz someone put a stop to it...

The funny thing is you guys know alot about Persians, yet our own neighbors don't Rolling Eyes
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but now that you mentioned him, it made me look for him!

I'm glad, you guys gave me alot of information about Alexander that I didn't know, and I'm still on my search here aswell Wink
vulgaren

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian_88 wrote:
Quote:
It couldn't as Alexanders marked the end of it

That shouldn't be a reason, b'cuz if Alexander didn't put a stop to it someone was going to someday...

No one expects an empire to last until now...

Besides the Persian has years of culture and all, long before Alexander was born, that shouldn't just go with the wind b'cuz someone put a stop to it...

The funny thing is you guys know alot about Persians, yet our own neighbors don't Rolling Eyes

Which today countries were part of the Perian Empire? It wasn't just Iran, was it!
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just Iran, no. It actually went from India until Greece...

Taking all Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, israel/Palestine, Turkey, Egypt and probably a part of Russia, I'm not sure about that. But Iran was the original land of Aryans.
Epirotan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian_88 wrote:
Not just Iran, no. It actually went from India until Greece...

Taking all Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, israel/Palestine, Turkey, Egypt and probably a part of Russia, I'm not sure about that. But Iran was the original land of Aryans.

Hi,
Really, Persian Empire had occupied these places. The Medes and the Persian origin is from now called Iran. They were shepherds coming from the mountains and plains of it. They expanded as the before them Empires had declined and occupied them. Their administrative system to govern these huge areas was a real miracle. They had developed a admirable system of communication. But the last Emperors like Darrheios III were not so inspired and skillfull as the first ones, so this Empire soon decline. For Alexandros it was easy to win this Empire as the only connecting glue was the fear to the Emperor and nothing else. So he destroyed the Persian EMpire just winning in three battles, leading an army more disciplined and well organized and using a force like "phalanx", and haning the love of liberated countries. After that, Alexandros tried to organize his Empire on the patterns of the Persian Empire and using Persians in his army, as his soldiers were exhausted and many of them not well being, they also didn't like his behaviour to them as being Asians. So in the last face of his campaign a great part of his army had Persian origin, trained and equiped like the Macedonians. So his war for conquest was partly a Persian matter. Who knows what would happened if he had lived a little more.
Another fact is that the worst enemies of him where the Greek mercenaries that served in the Persian Army. They were well organized and good fighters. Memnon of Rhodos was one of them. He proposed to Darrheius to invade using the Persian ships to Greece as it would be very easy to beat the Macedonians that had a little army left behind. But Darrheius didn't hear at his proposition.
The Persian civilization has to offer to the modern world a little. But on Persian admistrative system had been used by many successors, i.e. Ottoman Empire, the Persian language gave to Turkish language and from them to other languages a great part of word using till today. Arabs too, had borrowed a lot from them. And also Byzantine Empire had been great influenced by them. So in a way some elements of today are coming from them.
About the origin of Aryans? Who were they? The fact is that in the 2nd millenium B.C. people coming "I don't know from where" invaded to Europe to Iran and India. Their language brought to the locals a great part of words. So we can find words common to Greek, Latin, German, Slavic Languages, Iranian and Sansktritic (morern India). What was this people we really don't know. Hitler used this theory to establish a regime in EUrope. But who were they? What was the colour of their skin, they were blonde or dark skin people? And how can explain the great differences of the Northern and Southern people in their faces, if we can say that they had a common origin? I beleive that they were mixed with the locals so we can explain these differences. And it is difficult to say that a race has pure blood after so many generations of mixture. I really don't care. And I think this is the right thing to do. There are not upper races. Humans, "Homo sapiens", have so little differences that we can say they are the same race. That's why that there is possible to have mixed marriages with children between people of different race, otherwise Nature would prohibited it, as it is between gorillas and humans, for instance.
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are alot of questions about Aryans and where they exactly come from...

But 'till this day, and in Iran the true land of Aryans, you can tell who's an Aryan and who's not..

True Aryans have white skin or a little lighter than olive skin and dark black hair...

Some say we came from up north, Russia, and took over Iran... Some say we are the true people of southern Iran where Cyrus is originaly from...

It is commenly known that there are other Aryans around the world, India, Pakistan, Italy, Germany...
But I'm not sure who is a true Aryan of those countries really...

Iran is a name that comes from Aryan, you can find some sources that'll show you that Iran is the true land of Aryans...

I am Dariush, the great king, the king of kings
The king of many countries and many peoples
The king of this expansive land,
The son of Wishtaspa of Achaemenid,
Persian, the son of a Persian,
'Aryan', from the Aryan race
"From the Darius the Great's Inscription in Naqshe-e-Rostam"

he above scripture is one of most valid written evidences of the history of the Aryan race, and as can be seen, Darius I (Dariush in persian), the Achaemenian king, in the 5th century BCE, declares himself a Persian and form the Aryan race. Herodotus, the father of history, writes (in his book: "History of Herodotus") at the same times: "In ancient times, the Greeks called Iranians "Kaffe", but they were renowned as Aryans among themselves and their neighbors". In another part of his book, Herodotus writes that the Medians were known as Aryans during a certain period. So in two of the oldest written human documents, the race of the Iranians have been mentioned as Aryan.

On the other hand, in many contemporary books, one reads that the Aryans were not original residents of the land of Iran, and that they migrated to Iran from Central Asia or somewhere in the north of Europe. The point is that if some of the oldest written records of the human history confirm that the residents of the Iranian Plateau were Aryans.
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can post more about that if you want me to, just ask or PM me since the board here is all about Alexander and I don't wanna break any rules.. Smile
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian_88 wrote:
I can post more about that if you want me to, just ask or PM me since the board here is all about Alexander and I don't wanna break any rules.. Smile
Please PM if you want more info. As Iranian_88 says, this is supposed to be about Alexander the movie. Thank you.
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... Razz
eryan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the movie when Alexander entered the palace there was a white statue of a naked greek man. It didn't fit in there. Why did they put a white statue in Babylonia???????????????
emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Correction Reply with quote

True
Actually Persians were the nomadic people from northern Siberia(russia) and they were fair skinned and fair hair. and when they move to Iran they had fights with native iranians: Bacterians, Sogdians,etc... so many of them died in fights and many of them stayed in northern India and the rest of them got mixed with native iranians and medes and now only about 5% of iranians population are cosidered ethnically persian.

and the Medes were from Europe and they were also from the Aryan race many of them had dark hair but fair skinned and they came to iran before persians and they got alittle mixed with assyrians because they were white and more beautiful than assyrians.
emperor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iran means: Land of Aryans
But only a few iranians are aryan most iranians now are from the native iranians and a few of them have mede or persian ancestors and are mixed and they are not directly from those (persian-mede) races!
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But only a few iranians are aryan most iranians now are from the native iranians and a few of them have mede or persian ancestors and are mixed and they are not directly from those (persian-mede) races!

Umm, I don't know about that.. What we know of our own origins is that Persians are all Aryans, except the ones that got mixed with arabs..

Even turkish people, some of russia, india, pakistan and so on are considered Aryans...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: