Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

There are not alot of good things about this movie.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vasiliki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: There are not alot of good things about this movie. Reply with quote

Hi Everyone, I am new to this website, I just saw the movie, and as a greek, there were some things in the movie that I thought someone like Oliver Stone would have done so much better.

The first thing that drove me nuts was the scottish accents, I felt like I was watching a bunch of scotts, not greeks. I also cannot believe that more emphasis was not given to the school of Athens, and Aristotle's influence and role in Alexander's life. The movie was a dissapointment because so much emphasis was put on his sexual life.

We cannot begin to know something like that, or should we care so much, to be quite honest.

This was a man who studied under the most brilliant minds of all time. He stood up against his father, and took on the world.

He was ahead of his time, and faced death with little regard. It does not make sense, that a leader with these qualities could be so emotionally confused.

We also do not know that Alexander had a "drinking problem" towards the end of his life, as the movie implies.

With all the issues that the movie could have focused more on, I am thankful for the fact that historicaly it was Greece that was referred to, not the the Macedonian Republic, and not the "Skopia".

Just my thoughts.

lock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: There are not alot of good things about this movie. Reply with quote

Vasiliki wrote:
Hi Everyone, I am new to this website, I just saw the movie, and as a greek, there were some things in the movie that I thought someone like Oliver Stone would have done so much better.

The first thing that drove me nuts was the scottish accents, I felt like I was watching a bunch of scotts, not greeks. I also cannot believe that more emphasis was not given to the school of Athens, and Aristotle's influence and role in Alexander's life. The movie was a dissapointment because so much emphasis was put on his sexual life.

We cannot begin to know something like that, or should we care so much, to be quite honest.

This was a man who studied under the most brilliant minds of all time. He stood up against his father, and took on the world.

He was ahead of his time, and faced death with little regard. It does not make sense, that a leader with these qualities could be so emotionally confused.

We also do not know that Alexander had a "drinking problem" towards the end of his life, as the movie implies.

With all the issues that the movie could have focused more on, I am thankful for the fact that historicaly it was Greece that was referred to, not the the Macedonian Republic, and not the "Skopia".

Just my thoughts.

There are others in the world with the most brillaint minds of all time,IN AFRICA AND ASIA,BUT SEE MOST FOLKS IN THE WEST DO NOT STUDY THEM OR TRY TO GET TO KNOW THEM.I AM SICK OF EUROCENTRIC THINKING.

lock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: There are not alot of good things about this movie. Reply with quote

[quote="lock"][quote="Vasiliki"][b] Hi Everyone, I am new to this website, I just saw the movie, and as a greek, there were some things in the movie that I thought someone like Oliver Stone would have done so much better.

Just my thoughts.

There are others in the world with the most brillaint minds of all time,IN AFRICA AND ASIA,BUT SEE MOST FOLKS IN THE WEST DO NOT STUDY THEM OR TRY TO GET TO KNOW THEM.I AM SICK OF EUROCENTRIC THINKING.

ALEXANDER REALLY DID NOT TAKE ON THE WHOLE WORLD.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look at the ancient world from today perspective. Greeks weren't even called greeks than.
The English name "Greece" derives from a Latin name, Graecia, originally used for the Magna Graecia region - just like Skopje in Republic of Macedonia was build by the Romans.

The accent was Irish and it meant to show that Macedonians language was different from Greek (In reality nobody knows what this language was as it wasn't written so there aren't any proofs for anything. Most scientiests however agree that it was very close to Greek hence Irish accent).
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The accent was Irish and it meant to show that Macedonians language was different from Greek (In reality nobody knows what this language was as it wasn't written so there aren't any proofs for anything. Most scientiests however agree that it was very close to Greek hence Irish accent)
...therefore not "different from Greek" but rather a Greek idiom.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...yet not greek. Rolling Eyes
The language is not a prove of identity of one nation - I wish it was.
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wouldn't believe it was Greek even if Alexander the Great himself told you so... Rolling Eyes
vulgaren

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You agree that he was ancient Macedonian?
heavenlysurfer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: accents Reply with quote

With an "international" cast it is sometimes hard to disguise the natural accents of the actors involved..the alternative would've been everyone speaking "Greek" with subtitles..would you have rather had that?
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as Socrates was an ancient Athenian. Yes I agree.
Lala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: accents Reply with quote

heavenlysurfer wrote:
..the alternative would've been everyone speaking "Greek" with subtitles..would you have rather had that?

I personally wouldn't mind at all! It would be even better if it was in Ancient Greek!!!
ChristianMacedon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you wouldn't believe it was Greek even if Alexander the Great himself told you so...

If Alexander telsl him that he would have to adress him in his native tongue: Macedonian.
Vasiliki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply to what lock wrote. Reply with quote

[block, noone is suggesting that the only brilliant minds came from Greece, nor am I Eurocentric. The movie and discussion was about Alexander. And yes, at that time he took on the world, or at least what the world was know to be at that time. Do not be so defensive, noone is talking anything away from other cultures, it would be very single-minded to do so. [/b]
Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristianMacedon wrote:
Quote:
you wouldn't believe it was Greek even if Alexander the Great himself told you so...

If Alexander telsl him that he would have to adress him in his native tongue: Macedonian.

......true which is an ancient Greek dialect, so correctly pointed out by Lala and the overwhelming majority of the scientific World Smile .
Kevin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again, completely off topic. Locked.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: