Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Americas Interest in Ancient History!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Americas Interest in Ancient History!! Reply with quote

Greetings its Leonidas here!! iI have to get something off my chest about the alexander movie!! The reason the movie didnt do well in good old america is that americans have no desire for ancient history !! Expect for the few of us in here lets say maybe Sponge Bob Movie is about the speed of americas moviegoers!!!!I saw the movie twice and the subject of alexander being gay did not bother me i was there because alexander was a great military leader I am sure you all will agree!!Remember America if it wasnt for GREEK and roman civilization we wouldnt be here!! But America fails to realize what these empires did for us and where we are today!! I know there will be some of you americans that will say that i am anti american oh well this is my opinion and that s it. In spite of the movies faults and it being a long movie still support this film and the way oliver stone produced it and directed it!!!oh by way did you all know that the movie troy grossed 133 million worldwide!!! And they said that wasnt a good movie at alll either!!Anyhow alexander fans how about your opinion now!!! thank you LONG LIVE ALEXANDER THE GREAT !!!
manos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U see Troy did good and Americans like this movie, so I think it has nothing to do with epic or historical movies. I think they also like Hercules and Odisseus the mini series. Of course they are far from the real myth, but Alexander is not historical based either (noone knows for example if he was homo, by, lesbian or whatever).
About the empires u r right but let's give some more gredits. Greeks and their 1st Empire(the most advanced civilization of europe that time) born this calture. Alexander (2nd Greek empire) spread it to Asia, Romean Empire to Europe. Then Christianity tried to destroy it but that was impossible. This calture will never die(that's why is called classic). Then Muslims who might helped in the final destraction of Alexandria's Lybrary (God knows what Greeks have found and written there) helped also to copy and save other greek documents, so west got educated and went through the dark ages (east Europe-Byzantnes the 3rd Greek Empire never stopped to be educated).
Finally British Empire spread this calture all over the world.
vulgaren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in USA want to watch good movies and not to debate on history forever. There are many better thing that wasting your time on judging what is true and waht not.

Alexander was not just a great Macedonian but a leader of world proportion..
horus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having waited months for the UK opening of the film i went to the first showing possible. I thought it was 3 hours of fun and entertainment, which is what a film of this type is meant to be, it is no Gladiator but it leaves Troy for dead. I will go again. The whole audience seemed transfixed by what was on the screen, the only **** were from a couple of young lads at Roxannes large breasts. Nobody left and certainly no one took any offence at the fairly low key supposed gay scenes.

After all the hype and publicity i was expecting something done in rather bad taste, with all the publicity surrounding the Alexander/Hephaistion relationship. However i do not think most people would have suspected anything if Ptolomey (Anthony Hopkins) had not flagged it up with the rather crass comment in his first speech about Alexanders only defeat being between Hephaistions thighs!!!

I do now wonder if what was shown was what Oliver Stone wanted us to see, as there was nothing sexual between A and H and the *** dance that Bagoas did for Alexander could have been missed in the blink of an eye. Never mind Stone being true to Alexander, has he been true to himself.

Anyway as i say i will go to see it again as there was to much to take in at one sitting. For those who have not seen the film, GO.
manos

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will go and watch it this week.
There were more gay-scenes but have been cut after the demand of greek layers organization. That's why the movie took a long to be on cinemas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: