Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not a bad Movie,But Military Depictions woefully incorrect!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Laughing
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galatasaray wrote:
Quote:
And the eye make up, what WAS all that about ?

i loved the eyemakeup Very Happy

personally im gald there wasnt more battle scenes, otherwise i woulda jus been boooooored but thats jus me i suppose people like different types of movie and im not really a 'battle' scene type. i liked the fact that the film had other issues goin on other than the takin over of civilisations. ive said it before in another post but if someone wants accurate information about something like this then they should read a history book, i myself didnt kno anythin about the great man but now that ive seen the film its got me interested and now want to find out more. aaaand i also think that however 'historically accurate' a film is there is always goin to be someone that says its wrong, because there are so many different interpretations of the past.

I know that Alexander is most remembered now as a great military leader but to limit the film to just battles would have been booooooring i agree. To me, what is fascinating is to learn about the person and why he thought as he did and such that led him to be remembered as a great leader. You cannot do this with battle scenes alone. I also knew very little about Alexander before seeing the film (except for that great military leader stuff - thanks to my husband) but it really sparked an intrest in me so I have been reading history books to find out more and I find myself quite amazed. I can see why people that knew a lot of his history could have been disappointed in the film because there is so much more that could be told.

OK, to make a long post even longer, I would love to see Alexanders visit to Troy on film. (I know some of you will LOVE this story and really wish it could have been in the film). When he was in Troy he wished to honor Achilles and he did this by anointing himself in oil and running naked around his tomb. Hephaestion did the same for Petrochlus. Supposedly, it was believed in Alexanders time that Achilles and Petrochlus were lovers. Many historians use this story as proof of A & H's sexual relationship. WOW! That would have been wild on film.

I also would have liked to see Egypt (founding Alexandria, visiting Oracle at Sidwah)...
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I wasn't done yet.

As far as "historical inaccuracies", RL Fox does a great job in his book explaining why certain things in Alexanders history were changed for the sake of the film.

Also, I too liked the eyeliner!!
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, 'stiff' - very freudian!! LOL

Accents. From what I understand, Stone decided on an Irish accent for his Macedonians as a paralell to Irish accents compared to English accents. Now, please, I don't want to upset anybody but this is just how I (lowly American that I am) understand it. According to ancient Greeks, the Macedonians accent was considered 'lesser' than the more civilized Greeks. Please, Irish people, don't get mad at me, I love Ireland (my husband is Irish/Scottish - his name is Sean - note the spelling; and a have a daughter named Kaitlyn). Now, as the regular British accent I suppose is considered the norm, the Irish accent would be more (what is the word?????) - I don't know what word I'm looking for, but you all know what I mean.

I suppose you could compare it to the way northerners here in the US feel about a good 'ol Texas accent (y'all, howdy, fixin to...); we are considered much less civilized just because of the waayyye weeeee taaaaalk. But you just have to be a Texan to understand our PRIDE! Yee Haw!!!

No, I haven't just finished a glass of wine - what makes you think that? LOL!
lardvaark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Lardvaark is Freudian and loving it Reply with quote

Nyak. Well spotted.

Cindoo15's been reading from the same sources as me. That's exactly what I heard, but I didn't want the bit about the historical English view of the Irish being less civilised to come from me, seeing as I am English.
Mind you, my accent is superior to nothing.
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Leto's Irish accent was cute, it did fit Hepheastion.
And what Catherine X was saying, I would have loved to see the Gordian Knot too and Hephaestion funeral, that would have been awsome.
lardvaark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv, couldn't agree more on the accent thing. You were there earlier on the other thread where we were defending the use of Irish accents, weren't you? We showed 'em.
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was. I donĀ“t see anything wrong with the Irish accent or any other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: