Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robin Lane Fox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Other Cast Members
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dynamo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Robin Lane Fox Reply with quote

Well now. I saw the film a week ago. Awesome stuff, then a friend asked me if I wanted to go to a lecture at the Royal Geographic Soc in London on the making of the film by none other than Robin Lane Fox (the historical advisor for the film and Oxford classics don who wrote a book on none other than Alexander)

If anyone else had heard him lecture you can back me on this, He is possibly the best speaker I have heard in a long time. Had some good anecdotes bout Farrell, Jolie, Leto and Dawson as well. he also led a squadron of 200 cavalry in all the takes and retakes for the battles.
trapp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Robin Lane Fox Reply with quote

His book on the movie (The Making of Alexander) was better than the movie.
isela

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy there is a wonderful and very complety interview.
U can find it on www.***/online/interviews/fox.html
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting Smile
apelles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Robin Lane Fox Reply with quote

dynamo wrote:
Well now. I saw the film a week ago. Awesome stuff, then a friend asked me if I wanted to go to a lecture at the Royal Geographic Soc in London on the making of the film by none other than Robin Lane Fox (the historical advisor for the film and Oxford classics don who wrote a book on none other than Alexander)

If anyone else had heard him lecture you can back me on this, He is possibly the best speaker I have heard in a long time. Had some good anecdotes bout Farrell, Jolie, Leto and Dawson as well. he also led a squadron of 200 cavalry in all the takes and retakes for the battles.

You lucky, lucky person! Very Happy I am so jealous.Do you know if he is doing any more lectures?My friends think I,m mad because I chose him as my fantasy dinner date,simply because he must be the most wonderful company and a lot of fun as well.Anybody who could ask to be in cavalry charges as his fee for historical advice has got to be a terrific character.
I would love to hear him lecture on the film,simply because he had such a great time doing it.
carabest

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Robin Lane Fox Reply with quote

In case you are interested, he has written a number of books on classical Rome as well.....one of my favorites is Christians and Pagans. He's also an expert gardener and writes gardening articles for some paper or a magazine.
apelles

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must get around to reading that Carabest,thanks.I,m reading his book,"The Classical World;an epic history from Homer to Hadrian".It,s useful for me because I need an overview to see Alexander in context.I,m just up to the Peloponnesian War at the moment and I,m finding it a good read.I like his style. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Other Cast Members All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: