Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How are Iranians and Greeks portrayed in the Alexander movie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longbow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movies about Alexander,if the movie was about Darius maybe u would see more of the persian perspective. If Darius Army was that good how did Alexander (outnumbered) beat him???
great-king

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

longbow wrote:
The movies about Alexander,if the movie was about Darius maybe u would see more of the persian perspective. If Darius Army was that good how did Alexander (outnumbered) beat him???

Darius III Codomannus fled the field leaving bhind his wife and children that's why and of course Alexander had good strategy as well.
Read the article on the other page more carefully, yes the ancient persians were that good and as in the article mentioned they defeated the Roman empire for several times and usually they have been more advanced and more civilised than the greeks.
And just because the movie is not about Darius it doesn't mean that they should confuse Persia with Babylon Laughing
longbow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darius running away doesnt mean his army has to fold does it?Disiplined soldiers wouldnt have left the field. Did the persians beat the Roman army after the marius reforms or before??
great-king

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How are Iranians and Greeks portrayed in the Alexander m Reply with quote

Ariobarzin wrote:
By Kaveh Farrokh:

...This military imbalance changed with the coming of the Parthian and Sassanian cavalry. The Iranian Savaran (elite Cavalry) successfully halted and defeated many of the later Greek-Hoplite inspired Roman armies. Many Romans attempted to imitate Alexander and failed against Persia. These include Marcus Lucinius Crassus at Carrhae, Marc Antony at Tabriz (where he failed twice), Gordian III at Mesiche, Phillip the Arab near modern Syria, Valerian at Barbablissos, and Julian the Apostate in Mesopotamia. I personally doubt that Hollywood will recreate these spectacular Roman defeats as these will challenge contemporary western notions of the Alexandrian legacy. In addition, many Iranians today are unaware of the proud legacy of the Parthian and Sassanian Savaran...
I look forward to the day when we will see blockbuster movies of Shapur I (241-272) who defeated three Roman emperors in his lifetime and destroyed a third of Rome's armies...

Shapur I of Persia and emperor valerian, philip the arab next to him.

His statue^
I don't know the exact dates but i know that persians defeated the Romans in sassanid era, many years after Alexander's death.
And ancient iran never been a part of the roman empire(never been conquered by the romans).
longbow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first battle between Persia and Rome was the battle of Resaena in 243 ad,Romans won beating shapur I.Persia(shapur I) beat rome (valerian) at the battle of edessa in 260 ad.Persia (narses) beat Rome (galerius) at the battle of Callinium in 296ad.Rome(galerius) beat Persia(narses) at the battle of Armenia in 297 ad.Persia beat Rome at the battle of Amida in 359ad,sorry i cant find out the Generals names for this battle.Last battle,Rome(julian) beat Persia(shapur II) at the battle of Ctesiphon in 363 ad. There all late Empire battles first battle being 599 years after alexanders birth.Still not a bad result 3wins ,3 losses.L Wink
great-king

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to know how tall Alexander was Laughing

This is the what I was reading: "Darius III is known to have been very handsome and tall. There is this story that when Alexander the Great finally sat on Darius' Royal throne in Susa his feet could not reach the ground and a supporting banquet table was needed to prevent his legs from dangling in the air." Laughing

I think he was even shorter than Hephaestion but actor Jared Leto is shorter than Colin Farrell. Laughing
Adriv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where that picture comes from? we didn't see it in the movie Question
great-king

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes i saw it in the film, pictures from val kilmer newsletter: vkn.com
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that picture.

Makes me want to sneek up and take a peek!
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one exactly is Shapur?! Confused
great-king

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iranian_88 wrote:

Which one exactly is Shapur?! Confused

The wealthy cool guy sitting on horse. Wink
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure? Cuz I have that picture up on my bedroom wall and it says that it's Naghsheh Rustam Confused
great-king

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's right iranian88, the drawing is called Naghshi Rustam but it's about Shapur who defeated 3 roman emperors. Smile
longbow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he never,he won one Battle against Rome and he lost one battle,there wasnt any Roman Emperors on either field????battle of Resaena in 243 ad,Romans won beating shapur I.Persia(shapur I) beat rome (valerian) at the battle of edessa in 260 ad.Persia
Iranian_88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I didn't know that, thnx for clearing it up Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: