Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My evening with Alexander, Oliver Stone and Robin Lane Fox
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: My evening with Alexander, Oliver Stone and Robin Lane Fox Reply with quote

Sadly, I did not meet them in person!

Last night, I went to see what my OH was watching on TV, thinking it was some boring documentary like he usually watches, but it was an evening of programmes about Alexander the Great!! Very Happy

The first programme was called ‘In the Footsteps of Alexander’. It was the last part of a documentary where the film crew followed in his footsteps and they had reached India. There were lots of people who had heard tales of Alexander and places named after him, places where they still did things in the Greek way, doctors who said they were descended from the doctors who treated Al for his wound to his chest. The presenter said that the army must have really loved Al to follow him so faithfully and told a story of when they were all dying of thirst in the desert, some soldiers found some water, gave it to him and he poured it away as if to say ‘if you can’t drink, I won’t either’.

The second programme was even better. The historian, Robin Lane Fox, whose book inspired Oliver Stone’s interpretation of Alexander, was asked to be an adviser on the film. So, Robin asked to actually be in the film as a repayment for his services! He went out to the set and as he is a very good horse rider he was given a soldier’s outfit and actually led an attack in the battle of Gaugamela!!! Imagine that! Very Happy Robin said that he had such a brilliant time that it had made his day, year and life! Cool

Before going to the set, he had seen pictures of Colin Farrell and dismissed him as too pretty and boring looking to play Alexander. But when he met him, he was charmed and decided that Colin was perfect for the Alexander role, which is obviously what Oliver Stone thought too. Robin talked to Kleitas and young Ptolemy, and Colin, of course, about the film and got really into it. The funniest bit was when he was talking to Oliver Stone and others in a tent about something and Colin came in saying:

‘Where’s my ****ing spear? How am I supposed to lead a ****ing attack with no ****ing spear or sword?’ He kept swearing so much that the soundtrack was just BLEEP….. BLEEP…. BLEEP. He wasn’t cross, that’s just the way he talks and everyone was amused. Laughing

And finally the third programme was Oliver Stone talking about his controversial films and answering the critics back about their bad attitude to Alexander. He said the people in southern USA did not go to see the film because they had seen all the headlines saying ‘Alexander the Gay’ and this put them off. And the more liberal Americans thought the film was a metaphor for George Bush invading Iraq and did not go to see the film. Honestly! Talk about being prejudiced and reading too much into it. What is the problem about Alexander’s sexuality? It really doesn’t matter who he liked. Mad

In the last two programmes they showed clips from the film as well, which were brilliant to see again. What a brilliant evening it was after such a long tiring day. I’m so grateful to my OH for spotting these programmes and insisting we watch them. And I’m so glad to have found this forum where I can woffle on about Alexander stuff [if no one minds]
Very Happy
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My, I am so jealous. Wish I had been able to see all that. I have however seen "Footsteps of Alexander" and HATED it; I found Mr. Wood to be more and more negative about Alexander as the show went on inferring that Alexander's army followed him because of lies and tricks on the part of Alexander. Also, when he speaks of the march back to Babylon through the desert he goes on and on about not knowing why Alexander would do such a thing. I have read in a couple of sources (one being Robin Lane Fox's book) that there were plans for supplies to reach the army along the way by his fleet; however, due to an uprising in his rear and unfavorable weather conditions, these supplies never reached the army. He goes into plans by Alexander to explore this sea route as a future trade route (as it had been in the past, unknown to Alexander).

OK, I got on my soapbox and completely forgot what I had intended to say here. Oh yes - I had heard before that people in the southern US did not go to see it because of hearing that Alexander was gay in the film. Honestly, I live here in the south and never heard that - well, maybe I don't watch or listen to the right (make that wrong) programming.

I'm still looking for a way to let Mr. Stone know that there are some of us Americans (even southerners living here in the Bible Belt - guess you'd have to be from here to understand what I mean by that) who very much enjoyed his film.

I would suggest that if you enjoyed the program about the making of the film you buy the book - it was written by Mr. Fox and has many interesting stories and great photos. If you wish to delve deeper into Alexander I would suggest his book "Alexander The Great" - very interesting and well written as I'm sure most people on this forum would agree with me.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

cindoo15- hope you enjoyed reading what I wrote, I was beginning to think everyone had fallen asleep with boredom Laughing

I want to say that it was only Oliver Stone's opinion about why people didn't go to see Alexander in the US. Obviously there must be loads of people who had the opposite opinion.

What I just CANNOT understand is the hatred and scorn this film has produced. Its an enjoyable film, not the most brilliant film ever, but why can't people just go along for a bit of escapism? It has left my local cinema after only 2 weeks- very odd.

I will take a look at those books you mention, I was not the slightest bit interested in Alexander before watching this film but he sounds like a phenomenon, especially if people are still arguing about him 1000s of years later Laughing

The best bits of these programmes I watched were Robin L-F's excitement and happiness at being in the film, having studied Alexander all his life, and the fact that Colin Farrell charmed EVERYONE, even me. Hopefully he will stay around and become a big star.

Are there any more 'making of' programmes? I think there was one on TV the day before we went to see it, but we thought it was stupid to watch it before we'd even seen the film cos it would spoil it.

Thanks for your info. Smile
galatasaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so annoyed, a rote a nice long reply to this topic and i got page not found so its all gone!! all i can say is catherine, you better tell me that those programmes were on sky or sumin cause i dont have it and if it was on normal telle and i missed it il cry!!!
vulgaren

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey didn't you love R L Fox's house in Oxford (did you like his carpet in the living room? ) - It was great and he is quite an excentric but he is a good writer and I recently bought his book on Alexander which was published first in 1974!
I watched the interview with Stone and I felt he was unfair towards the Americans, his own, branding them lessworthy, ignorant which I found rude. He did admit that he likes provoking so I don't think it is something serious about it.
Colin has obviously taken the word **** as his own trade mark...well, well - yet Irish are 'grand' folks
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear Galatasaray, these programmes were on BBC4. Please don't cry, I expect they will be shown again soon. Smile What a shame your post didn't show up. I too have found it very difficult to find this site, prob. because there are so many Alexander sites everywhere.

Vulgaren- yes I must get that book on Alexander by Robin LF. I didn't know anything about Big Blond Al til I saw this film and now I'm much more interested. Robin did have a nice house and quite posh. It must be brilliant being an academic type person and spending your life researching interesting things.

I think Oliver Stone was probably quite hurt by the criticism of his beloved film and also as you say does like provoking Americans, so I suppose he was just generalising. Did you see that he said that Abraham Lincoln was probably gay and he might make a movie about him? The Americans would probably assassinate him if he did Laughing

I like Colin swearing and swaggering about actually, I didn't notice him in films before but now I think he's gorgeous in a sweaty, manly, throw me on the bed kind of way. Laughing That probably sounds weird, but hopefully someone somewhere will know what I mean Smile
galatasaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like Colin swearing and swaggering about actually, I didn't notice him in films before but now I think he's gorgeous in a sweaty, manly, throw me on the bed kind of way. That probably sounds weird, but hopefully someone somewhere will know what I mean

i know exactly what you mean!! i think thats also why the gay thing was so good to watch, really sweet watchin 2 pretty but manly powerful men bein intimate with each other Laughing couldnt word that very well im afraid but there ya go!!
lardvaark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back, and I like this thread already.
Completely agree, Catherine X and galatasary, with your points of view....

Still plugging away with my little project to raise awareness of the positive reactions to this film. But very little luck (I am however a patient woman).
Cindoo15, I saw your comments a while back and completely agreed (maybe you saw my reply). I tried Warner Bros and Intermedia, but I think they had their suspicions about people trying to get hold of contact information (which I can kind of understand I suppose). I also dropped Robin Lane Fox a line, have no idea if that's been received yet.

TV documentary/interview-wise, as someone without cable OR Freeview in my terrible student house in a terrible reception area, I've missed the bloody lot. So don't worry, it could be worse.

/draws breath
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i know exactly what you mean!! i think thats also why the gay thing was so good to watch, really sweet watchin 2 pretty but manly powerful men bein intimate with each other couldnt word that very well im afraid but there ya go!!

Bingo! Galatasaray, you have put it into words, however badly you think you did it. That is how I feel too. Its logical really, have you noticed how men always go on about lesbians and women kissing etc. Why shouldn't people like seeing two men in that sort of situation, especially gorgeous ones like our beloved Al and Heph. Getting carried away now, better go and have my tea Laughing
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Laardvark, good luck with your project to raise awareness of the positive reaction to this film. And don't worry, you will see the programmes I was talking about in due course. It is 'meant to be', you'll see Laughing 'If you build it, they will come' or whatever it says in 'Field of Dreams' Laughing
galatasaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Getting carried away now

so glad ive found people that are as bad as me Laughing i was predominantly a cassander fan but by the end of the film the other two had left their mark in my brain and i was hooked Shocked
galatasaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more thing i had written in my post that got deleted ( Rolling Eyes ) i wish people would appreciate the film for what it is too. i mean i kno its a historical thing and needs to be accurate but at the end of the day they need to add and change things to turn it into an interesting film, and people should enjoy that, and if not, then go see a documentary!! whats with all the negativity? Rolling Eyes
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

History it is not always accurate. I don't know why they are complaining.
I guess they don't understand that.
Alexiel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galatasaray wrote:
Quote:
I like Colin swearing and swaggering about actually, I didn't notice him in films before but now I think he's gorgeous in a sweaty, manly, throw me on the bed kind of way. That probably sounds weird, but hopefully someone somewhere will know what I mean

i know exactly what you mean!! i think thats also why the gay thing was so good to watch, really sweet watchin 2 pretty but manly powerful men bein intimate with each other Laughing couldnt word that very well im afraid but there ya go!!

DOUBLE BINGO!!!!!!!!! Laughing
jared and colin are just too much to handle -dead- ^___^
and here we go again,we transformed another topic in a "jared-colin/alex-heph gogogo" thread lol!
galatasaray

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and here we go again,we transformed another topic in a "jared-colin/alex-heph gogogo" thread lol!

welllll its a bit hard not to, *in the words of cartman* that movie has warped our fragile little minds!! Laughing [/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: