Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WOW! I Love This Movie! An Unabashed Favourable Review
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: WOW! I Love This Movie! An Unabashed Favourable Review Reply with quote

Okay, so to balance all the negative reviews that have bombarded this film since its release, and to add my voice to the growing support (at least on this side of the pond) for what is undoubtedly a different but fantastic film, I find myself sitting here at my computer typing this post.
For me, the sign of a good movie is if it has the power to pull me so deep into the story that the real world dissolves for a time, and then snaps back into focus - as it unfortunately must - (long sigh as I gaze out of the window) without you ever realising that it was blurring at the edges.
This film did that - countless times.
From the production to the acting, from the costumes to the music, I loved every part. I thought the two battles were a true spectacle to watch; how that eagle flew over the Battle of Gaugamela, and how Bucephalus reared before that Elephant - truly outstanding - my jaw was tasting the previous showings popcorn!!
I thought Colin Farrell was exceptional, displaying and injecting passion and frustration ("...because you have fallen in love with the things that destroy men." - I paraphrase), and the scene where he kills Cleitus - my eyes were glued! And I loved the tension between him and his mother. Indeed, I enjoyed all the performances - Colin, Val Kilmer, Angelie Joile and Jared Leto among the best.

A word on the whole Alexander and Hephaestion thing: Personally I think it was handled tastefully and reservedly and didn't think it lowered the intergrity of the film or detracted from what Alexander accomplished in his short life. Remember, Ptolemy stated at the beginning of the film that he thought "Alexander found sanity in friendship", and later quoted the historians by declaring that "Alexander was only defeated once and that was by Hephaestion's thighs".
Alexander's mother was a manipulative liar and his father's footsteps were nothing more than impressions in the sand. Even he, whilst showing Alexander the murals said something like "women can not be trusted", and considering his first female role model was his aformentioned manipulative mother, it isn't hard to see why Alexander may have preferred the company of men.

Overall, I thought it was great: the acting, the script, the set-pieces - that wonderful view from the balcony in Babylon; the exciting battle scenes and how the relationships were explored and portrayed.
I know a lot of people were annoyed that it wasn't more historically accurate, I can understand why that is so. Yes, I would have loved to see the siege of Tyre or the battle at Granicus, but if Mr Stone had included all of the battles it would have been 3 hours of nothing but battles. I thought the way Anthony Hopkins alluded to certain historical facts were more than sufficient to move the film along. And at the end of the day isn't it all conjecture and supposition? Plus it's a movie - far better (in my humble opinion) than that most Gay and prissy (not to mentioned sanitised) of films, Troy.
Alexander is visceral, passionate, compelling and unequivocally entertaining.
Well done Mr Stone and Mr Farrell - fantatsic job. And I certainly hope, upon the DVD release, that Mr Stone wont compromise his film by altering it for the people who didn't enjoy it. My guess is, they wont buy it whether the friendship scenes are there or not...

Thanks for reading...
Alexiel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now,THAT was a review!
I totally agree with you,AND Alexander IS completely different from troy (AND better,in my opinion)
Very Happy
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alexial, thanks for the positive reply. I'm soooo glad that someone else thought Troy was pants - I tell ya, I must have the wrong friends because they all loved it AND they WALKED OUT on Alexander - no lie - they left me there alone, well, they were waiting in lobby.

I just don't get people's reaction to this film, I know people say that it has crummy dialogue and that the acting is terrible, but i think, honestly, that it's the whole relationship thing - people just can't accept a Gay hero, they'd rather have Bradd Pitt looking like Bradd Pitt, or Orlando Bloom supposingly falling in love with Helen, and pulling off a completely unconvincing relationship with her - they don't care, as long as their 100% heterosexual.
I was kinda hoping that we'd moved on from that...

Oh well.......
Alexiel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES,I totally agree with you,it's so sad, the ones that speak badly about this movie have always the word "gay" in their mouth...
I found the acting quite awsome to be honest, and Troy made me chill when I heard about Patroclus being Achilles COUSIN (omg,how sad is that?and nobody said anything bad about that, or about the fact that Achilles were in Troy's horse...and they say Alexander is not accurate,sure!)
longbow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the movie,have seen it 7 times on an excellent copy vcd Laughing i thought the acting was ok and the overall look was convincing.the battles are good but i think they should of been on for longer or shown more of them(50 to choose from). Its a much better movie than Troy or Gladiator which is historicaly disslexic(bet i spelt it wrong)lol. i thought his relationship with hephastion was done quite well,he was bi sexual get over it! L
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pipsqueak and Alexiel

What can I say? A brilliant review from Pipsqueak and I agree with everything both of you have said. I think this film gets people OBSESSED with it, I know I am. I don't really know why, probably just for the reasons that Pipsqueak wrote. So much better than Troy [cousins indeed!] and so much more than just loads of battles one after the other [yawn]

I think this film is potentially a cult classic and in years to come people will be proud to say they own the DVD [unless Oliver Stone messes about with the structure of it, but that's another whole discussion entirely Laughing ]

None of my friends particularly liked Alexander either, isn't it weird how that happens? You can tell a lot about people by the films they like.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And hi to Longbow, you must have been posting at the same time as I was Laughing
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never a truer word spoken (or written).
And don't worry, only dyslexic people can spell dyslexic - lol Laughing
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Catherine X
What you said is so true - it's like a new album, you may not like it straight away but those are the ones that grow on you and become the best.
And I'm sorry to hear your friends didn't like it either - but that's why this forum is so great! At least it's somewhere we can speak with like-minded people - right?
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Pipsqueak. Its not that my friends didn't like the film actually, it just didn't grab them like it did me. They just said 'oh that was alright' ?!?! Luckily my OH is an open minded man, he liked it [otherwise I'd have had to stop speaking to him] He didn't see why all these peopel are so homophobic, he just said 'get over it!' Smile

And yes, this forum is brilliant, its like a secret club with a secret handshake Laughing
longbow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi pigsqueak n catherine x,my friends liked the film and they know absolutely nothing about alexander Smile
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - and a club I'm happy to be apart of.
Longbow - sounds like you've got the right sort of friends. It's like this movie puts people into three different catagories - those who hated it - those who obssess big time over it (like us) and those who are "MMhhh yeah, it was okay"

Well, at least it's provoking a reaction
BFN
Adriv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs up for you all. Same situation here but if you don't know your history they won't know better.
lardvaark

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO PIPSQUEAK!

Get in there, son. Now THIS is what I'm on about, this is what I wish all those fantastic types involved with "Alexander" could see for themselves.....

I too have friends who liked the film a great deal, but they wish I'd shut up going on about it. Now they'll be fine, as I have some fellow obsessees* to keep me company. I've been waiting nigh on two weeks for this.

And now, typically, I have to go home.

L

*Not a real word, but it'll do me.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's like this movie puts people into three different catagories - those who hated it - those who obssess big time over it (like us) and those who are "MMhhh yeah, it was okay"

You have hit the nail on the head Pipsqueak. I have never had the chance to share my obsessions with various films [and oh there have been many over the years Laughing ] with people, usually I have to write a story about them or put it in my diary. This is a revelation. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: