Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Truly boring film
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Colin Farrell
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potkin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: A Truly boring film Reply with quote

I watched this film last night, and I just can not believe how such a powerful story be so badly told. Here is a classic example of lets forget the story for the sake of special effects!

The casting is wrong, the acting is boring, people are screaming all the time, there is no suspense, historical facts and costumes are wrong, so much money, such a powerful story, such a talented cast and such a crap film. And what is it with all the Irish accents?
galatasaray

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sigh....

well then you wont have much fun on this forum cause most of the regular posters love the film. Cool

whats wrong wit the dublin accents tho, its great! what so if it aint american then it aint a film? in an interview i read it says that oliver stone wanted the macedonians to be differentiated from the greeks or sumin (will have to find the interview if you want the exact quote) but hang on thats not the point whether there is a reason for using an irish cast or not why should it matter??? colin and all the rest of the actors were exceptional i dont think he could have picked a better cast! Mad
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with galatasaray. Maybe next time will ask Mr. Stone to pick Greek dialog or Persian to make it different. Razz
lardvaark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just when I thought everyone on the Interweb had figured out which boards attract the devotees and which don't Wink

Has anyone else noticed how in loads of other fil-ems (check out the Irish accent, there), dialects never seem to serve as a major issue, but then in this case people think it's a good enough reason to flame "Alexander" to Kingdom Come(TM)?

You're bang on, that was indeed the exact reason the Irish twang surfaced, as an analogy. The native Greeks (or those of that extraction) delivered in the typical English accents that historical films are generally associated with. The Macedonian speech was drawn parallel to an Irish accent. It works for us, let it be.
Hands up all of those who can do a passable impression of an ancient Macedonian accent, anyway. Thought so. Smile

Anyone still awake? I'll just get in that I'm with you on the casting also. Spotless.

L
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casting was great. I really not sure about Olympias accent but she did a good job.
mOoK

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A Truly boring film Reply with quote

potkin wrote:
The casting is wrong, the acting is boring, people are screaming all the time, there is no suspense, historical facts and costumes are wrong, so much money, such a powerful story, such a talented cast and such a crap film. And what is it with all the Irish accents?

oh yea? First of all i wanna say that there's NOTHING wrong with the casting nor the acting but WHAT the HELL is wrong with u, m8? I mean ... seriously, I can see nothing wrong with it. This Movie is one of the gr8est movies of da world. it's absolutely NOT a crap film. Like I said before if u guys ( da haters ) r soooooooooo gewd at it why dont u go n make ur own movie then? all u guys could do is juz talkin SH*T and always complaining. i know how tough it was... during shooting the film. and believe me if u do u wouldnt juz sit here n do nufin but typin this SH*T. all I wanna say is y dun u take a better look at urself dude see if u can do it...If u cant then u can juz shut da hell up. coz ur wasting ur breath ( or energy ) n ohw one more thing, Irish accent is not a problem. it's kinda gr8 actually. it's 2005 now dude... GET REAL!!! dont b so small Mad
lardvaark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down mOOkie, don't let 'em wind you up, pal.
I know it's irritating, but believe me, you've got to feel sorry for people like that, it can't be easy when your mind's that closed.
mOoK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lardvaark wrote:
Calm down mOOkie, don't let 'em wind you up, pal.
I know it's irritating, but believe me, you've got to feel sorry for people like that, it can't be easy when your mind's that closed.

yea... u kno wha, ur rite Smile Thx dude Wink xXx
halfaery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casting wasn´t totally wrong if I don´t like any of Colin´s other roles in other movies or himself at all, but now in Alexander and as Alexander, he was amazing!
Alec

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Calm down.. Reply with quote

Wow, Mook, u'r a tiger when u'r angry !!! Shocked Laughing
Well, i don't think because someone never made a movie he can't criticize'em... Everybody can think what he wants. But i agree with u, Mook, at some point : why does an "Alexander's hater" come onto a forum that is clearly dedicated to this movie and likely to have many "Alexander's lovers" who won't support any attack against their loved movie !!!
Kinda weird...
So, Alexander's haters, come in, come in... but Alexander's lovers will surely make u go out, go out... Wink
Don't try n' insult OUR movie Twisted Evil

Alec
mOoK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Calm down.. Reply with quote

Alec wrote:
Wow, Mook, u'r a tiger when u'r angry !!! Shocked Laughing
Well, i don't think because someone never made a movie he can't criticize'em... Everybody can think what he wants. But i agree with u, Mook, at some point : why does an "Alexander's hater" come onto a forum that is clearly dedicated to this movie and likely to have many "Alexander's lovers" who won't support any attack against their loved movie !!!
Kinda weird...
So, Alexander's haters, come in, come in... but Alexander's lovers will surely make u go out, go out... Wink
Don't try n' insult OUR movie Twisted Evil

Alec

*lol @ Alec* well........ actually it only happens when those boneheads posted something on the board and it got me UPSET. Evil or Very Mad ( always some brainless opinions Rolling Eyes ) they always doin that. just to piss us off!!! Mad lol now we've gotta stick tgetha and get rid of em, ya guys wif me? Wink *cheers alec* Smile
lardvaark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right there with you, moOk.
Trolls ask for everything they get.
Which, from me, tends to be quite a bit (see "Undue Bad Press" - this one made me laugh myself inside out, as it started as a wind-up on QAF's part, but ended with them storming off in one....).

Perhaps your Fan Club Name could be "Defender of Alexander's Integrity" or maybe just "That Scary One". Wink
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Trolls ask for everything they get.

Can you define 'troll' for me, I keep hearing about these trolls but don't quite know what they are. Confused
lardvaark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CX, there are lots of definitions but one way of describing a troll is someone who posts deliberately inflammatory comments on a messageboard with the intention of provoking a certain response from people. It's usually best to ignore them until they go away, but sometimes it can pay to go in for a bit of mild "troll-baiting" to see if they'll self-destruct, as a sort of "don't start what you can't finish" lesson!
Smile
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
CX, there are lots of definitions but one way of describing a troll

Thanks LV Smile

I've also seen trolls described as people who use multiple names and pretend they are other people to have false conversations with others. [Hope that last sentence makes sense]. I hope that doesn't happen on this board. I've been 'speaking' for months with someone on another board and defended her from people who said she was a troll, but now she's turned on me so maybe she is a troll after all Sad Oh well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Colin Farrell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: