Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hephaestion and Alexander's 'relationship'
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Hephaestion and Alexander's 'relationship' Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts I had today whilst invigilating an exam:

1. I just wondered whether Heph was actually chosen and groomed to be Al's companion. I'm sure this happens with royal children today and I wonder if the royal advisers thought Heph was from a suitable family with a suitable temperament to be a companion for Al, like an 'arranged marriage'. If so, obvioulsy the advisors had done their job well cos Heph and Al became soul mates. And also, if Heph was Al's official companion/ wife, that might explain why Heph never had any boy/ girlfriends because it could be seen as treason. I know in real life that Heph got married, but maybe he wasn't allowed to have casual 'flings' cos it might compromise Al's royal status.

2. Heph giving Al the ring on that particular night was very significant. The other soliders, such as Cleitus, had probably been saying 'Alexander won't want YOU now he's got a wife', so Heph wanted to find out Al's true feelings about him and assert his claim on Al as more important that Roxane's claim. Heph must have been very happy that Al immediately put the ring on his wedding finger as if to say 'I know that YOU are my true wife, not her.' It was like their wedding night too. Can't remember what happened to the ring after that- didn't Roxane make Al take it off and throw it on the floor? Then didn't he find it and put it on again?

Me? Obsessed with this movie? Nothing better to do than think about it? Never! Laughing
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm obsessed myself, enjoying reading what you all have to say. It's great while you are working.
I think they were always friends from childhood, no arrangements there. Heph loved Al as he was not because he was royalty. That was true friendship-love, so true.
Yeah, that damn Roxana throwed the ring but Al put it back on the next day. Gosh, hopefully there is more on DVD that we saw in the theater.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Adriv

Well really I hope that Al 'n' Heph were the real thing [true lerrrrrrve] and not put together by royal advisers: it was just a thought while I was bored.

I knew Al put the ring on the next day, that'll teach Roxane to come between him and his man [oo er missus] Laughing
Adriv

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: OK Question? Reply with quote

In the movie, the walking to the tent before Gautemale battle, when Alexander said: "On the eve of battle it is hardest to be alone", he wanted Hephaistion to stayed the night with him??? Isn´t that clear?? HELLO... he is giving him a message, why Heph didn´t go in?? instead he says: "Perhaps this is goodbye, my Alexander."
I am wrong or I am right? that scene is confusing. Confused
galatasaray

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loved watchin what went on between al and heph cause you could really feel how true and unconditional the love was.

and i have a question, how come we never got to see heph as a married man (or did we?) even if it was jus one scene to show that he did get married? cause if i hadnt read this forum i dont think i woulda known, jus goin by the film heph died without getin married! (unless i missed sumin!)
Rachel25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the movie, the walking to the tent before Gautemale battle, when Alexander said: "On the eve of battle it is hardest to be alone",

Actually that's only part of what he says. He said "Not on the eve of battle. On the eve of battle it is hardest to be alone".

I know pretty contradictory of him. I think he was saying that they should be strong and just focused on the battle tomorrow. Some of the sources do like to stress that Alexander had a great deal of self control. He didn't like to overly indulge in food or sex, unfortunately drinking wasn't on the list. Wink
Adriv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe.. you are right. I guess Heph still wanted to go in. Man! who knows those things. Wink
galatasaray

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv wrote:
hehehe.. you are right. I guess Heph still wanted to go in. Man! who knows those things. Wink

im assuming youre talkin about the tent adriv? Wink
Adriv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe... of course. Wink
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and i have a question, how come we never got to see heph as a married man (or did we?) even if it was jus one scene to show that he did get married? cause if i hadnt read this forum i dont think i woulda known, jus goin by the film heph died without getin married! (unless i missed sumin!)

I don't think you missed anything, but then again I've only seen Alexander once Shocked Heph definitely got married in real life, but maybe they just couldn't fit all these things into the film and they had to decide what to leave out, otherwise it would have been 6 hours long or something. Of course, we wouldn't have minded but maybe it would have been too expensive or something and other cinema goers would have complained.
Confused
Vrettas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie did mention that Heph was married. It was when Alexander was talking to him on his death bed. And he said something about there children growing up together like they did. blah blah blah blah.
Im sick of these Alexander and Heph husband/wife rubbish assumptions.

As Alexander said

Hephaistion friend of Alexander
Craterus friend of King
Adriv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have loved see Hephaistion´s funeral, the Gordian Knot, Egypt and the Oracle, but I guess the movie would have been longer then.
But the movie was great, I loved it, I still don´t know WHY didn´t do as well as expected.
Vrettas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was good. But there was too many long periods were nothing would happen. So it got boring
Adriv

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not bored. I guess we all had different expectations
mOoK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adriv wrote:
I was not bored. I guess we all had different expectations

I'm with ya cuz!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: