Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is your favourite scene of the movie???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hefestion19

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: What is your favourite scene of the movie??? Reply with quote

I think there is some touching scenes that I like above all, and I would like to know what scenes have been more emotional for you...

I can say some of them:

-With no doubt, the saddest one is Hephestion death... when both are crying and Alexander tells him how much things they still have to make together in life... new great travels through Arabia, the other side of the Mediterranean; having children who would grow together... Very sad, it makes me cry.....

-Other loving scenes about them. When they talk about how special are each other.. But mainly the ring scene. I feel identified with this ... They have their hearts divided between the great love they feel for a man, and the great desire of every man of having children. That scene shows how cruel is life for a bisexual... Sad

-Another one is some words said by Ptolemy... When he is talking about Alexander and say something like " How to explain what means being young and have great dreams"... I really love to hear this....

- The next one is, for me, the scene that better show us how really was Alexander... Is a moment when Alex is stopped, alone, watching the top of the Hindukush Mountains, and sounds the emotive song of Vangelis "across the mountains". What show this scene is the personal thoughts of Alexander, his ambition, his desire of approach to Gods, of overcome the limits of Human Being and make a impossible thing, as crossing those mountains and arrive to sea. It show us the greatness of the dreams and desires of Alexander...
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been very busy today with my sick little 2 year old daughter (just a cold) so haven't been able to post but I saw this earlier and have been thinking about it. This is a very tough question as so many things come to mind. I would have to agree with Hefestion19 about the ring scene - very touching - I agree with everything you said about that one. I also love the scene where he's planning his strategy for Gaugamela and he says something to the effect of "If I were Parmention, I would do that; but I'm not, I'm Alexander". I love the scene after he is injured where he rides among his troops and they show their love for him. (I wish in the movie that they had shown the troops break in and file past him as he was dying - I think this one was cut because in the "Making of" book, it sounds like it was filmed). I could go on and on but must keep this short (too late for that I think) - as far as an absolute favorite - I guess probably the ring scene - if that one is cut I would be more upset than if any other scene was missing.
allison

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite scene (difficult to pick one out of many) would have to be the balcony scene at Babylon with Al and Heph gazing starry eyed at each other - love Heph's speach (especially the bit about the way Al holds his head &c). Smile

Also love the ring scene, but that's followed by Heph leaving Crying or Very sad

Also love the scene between young Al and Phillip in the caves when they are talking about the myths - don't know why, really. Confused

The battle scenes were fantastic - really got the scope accross - the size of the armies, the confusion, the fear.

And I loved the aftermath scene when Al goes into the hospital tent and assists the mercy killing of a youth in pain, then goes outside and cries.

I could go on an on, but I'll stop there - I loved the whole thing!! I think I'll have to see it again next weekend!!! Very Happy
Catherine X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been very busy today with my sick little 2 year old daughter (just a cold) so haven't been able to post but I saw this earlier and have been thinking about it.

Sorry to hear your daughter is ill. Hope she is better soon.

I shall just have to watch this film again, but I've got a terrible idea I won't see it til the DVD version comes out. Sad
manos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite scenes are just a few.
1- The first frame of the movie. Alexander written in greek "ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ".
2- When Aristotle shows the map of all Greece (including Athens, Creta, Sparta, Macedonia, Thace, Hipirus, Ilirians,Ionian- Agean Islands, Korinthos,etc) and talks about how advanced nation they are.
Adriv

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all have something in commun, we all like the same scenes. Smile

Two of my favorites, is the balcony and the ring scenes obviously. But one of the scene that make me smile and make me say..YEAH! take that bitch! is the scene after Al killed Cleitus and he goes and stays in his tent for a while and only Heph and Bagoas were there with him, when Roxana tries to go in and Heph stops her saying in his cute little Irish accent: "He says none" and Roxana says "He needs me" Heph: "no he doesn't" and Roxana goes "and he needs you?" and that moment that look - the smirk look of Heph was awsome, like saying..."Bitch, please" and he goes right in. That scene was a bit amusing for me.

Also, Olympias close up, her eyes and the way she looked was really amasing to me, she really looked like a real queen to me.
Hefestion19

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battle scene that I like much is in India, when all them feel tired and afraid, and their horses didn't want to charge against elephants, then Alexander leave alone, and falls.

Manos, have you seen the credits in the end?? All names of the cast are written in two alphabets, latin and greek.

Adriv, I forgot that scene, It's a really good one, if not the best Twisted Evil I really thought the same you said.... He seems to say her "Bitch, don't annoy and leave from here"...
Hephaestion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were many scenes I liked. Maybe I can't remember all of them but..

Young Alexander riding first time with Bucephalus and on the background playing Young Alexander. It was so touching that I cried.

The battle at Gaugamela was marvellous. And The Drums of Gaugamela... Before the battle Alex encouraging soldiers...

Alexander and Hephaestion talking to each other in Babylon. It was a beautiful scene.

When Heph gave Alex the ring. And guess who was crying Smile

Heph's death. It was the scene when I cried more than during the whole movie. Do I have to tell about it more..? Razz

Alex's death. Alex was delirious, the others around the bed arguing... When I went to watch the movie second time I didn't remember Alex's death was shown in the beginning of the movie. And you know the rest...

Just can't wait for the time when DVD is out.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:
Quote:
I've been very busy today with my sick little 2 year old daughter (just a cold) so haven't been able to post but I saw this earlier and have been thinking about it.

Sorry to hear your daughter is ill. Hope she is better soon.

I shall just have to watch this film again, but I've got a terrible idea I won't see it til the DVD version comes out. Sad

Thanks Catherine for your concern. She's still feeling crummy but it'll take a few day.

Catherine, you MUST find a way to see the movie again. Let's see, all you have to do is go to South America and buy it!! Have you asked Advir about his downloads? I don't blame you if not, I'm a little scared about messing up my computer (after my disaster with LimeWire) but I think temptation will win out in the end and I'll have to get them.
allison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved that scene too, adriv - teriffic smile before he goes where Roxanne is not allowed Twisted Evil
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my clips are less than 10MB one of two are more that but they are worse it. You can ask galatasaray and Hefestion19. Wink
And by the way... I'm not HE, I'm a SHE. Adriana is my real name. Very Happy
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WORTH IT!! gosh! I have been misspelling left and right. hehehe....
Alexiel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allison wrote:
I loved that scene too, adriv - teriffic smile before he goes where Roxanne is not allowed Twisted Evil

LOL
oh that was SO great!!!
I love all scenes with jared in it---I love the whole movie,but when he dies...It's just so...Touching,bawwwww
Vrettas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As weird as it is my fav scene was when the young Illyrian soldier's body was almost in shock and Alexander comes up to him, tells him to think of home and then the doctor does some ancient euthenasia. I dont know why but it was my fav scene.

I didn't like the scene were Heph dies and then Roxanne comes in tries to comfort him and he goes balistic at her.

1-Because in actual life she wasn't pregnant at the time of Heph's death.
2-Obviously Alexander found comfort in her after his death because in actual life she fell pregnant after Heph death
Rachel25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually Roxanne doesn't come in to comfort Alexander so much as Alexander burst into her room and accuses her of killing Heph, whom she wasn't even aware was ill obviously from her initial reaction.

But your right about the history of it. Indeed she did become pregnant after Heph died or else the baby would have probably been born before Alexander died, eight months after.
Not to mention if your going for the poison theory for Heph's death, I would have been more interested in them exploring the jealosies and competition amongst the companion, then the jealosies and competition in the love triangle.
But the second time I saw the film I did appreciate more the quick flashbacks of the painting with Hercules and Medea.

Anyways my favourites are Alexander riding Bucephalus for the first time.

Philip telling Alexander about the myths, it was the first time they made Philip appear to care about his son.

I liked the flash back for Philip's assassination. I thought it ws a really well done sequence with Alexander and his father riding to the stadium, the assassination and then before you know what happens Alexander is being declared king. It really gave you the feel that Alexander must have felt like it was all so sudden and so soon. I didn't like that it was told in a flash back, more people would probably have cared about it if they could remember that Pausanias had actually appeared before. And I didn't like the scene that followed between Alexander and Olympias, for pretty much the same reasons.

I would love to put the ALex/Heph scenes way up in front but I can't, because of the dialogue. But I liked that the relationship was addressed and I enjoyed the interaction between the two actors who I think got it across, I just wish they didn't have to say things like "By the sweet breath of Aphrodite".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: