Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't worry, if I find a beauty long-haired & blue-eyed... I reserve his older brother to you

Ah, you are so sweet! You should probably get his dad for me though, I'm a lot older than you Laughing

Yes, your beauty would have a lonely, widowed father who is strict and keeps his emotions hidden. He has been unhappy in his life since his wife died... until he meets me! I think I might have to write a story about this fantasy, everything I do in life ends up as a story. Once upon a time, Hefestion19 went into a DVD shop, and then....
Hefestion19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is not a bad idea... take your time and write that story, and later send it to me. I hope it would be very happy for me and that imaginary young heph... Wink
Hephaestion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Alexander DVD Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:
Don't get too excited!

I just looked on IMDB and this is what I read:

'this isnt 100% sure [ill try my best 2 confirm] ....but alexander reg. 1 DVD comin in april/may....feat.'s not sure but UK gets 2 disc special edition with a new "accessible" cut of the movie [dunno wat tht is yet]

also ....alexander will be the first fifty movies to come out on the NEW HD-DVD format [15 gb!!!] in late 2005.... '

This sounds interesting! So maybe it will come out in June or July in the UK Razz Very Happy

Guess what? I'm jumping here all around Laughing Okay, maybe I should calm down. If this is wrong information... Well, anyway. I'm thinking when DVD will be released here in Finland. I have been thinking since last November it might be released in April or May. I hope it won't last till summer.

I want expanded version! Very Happy
Catherine X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is not a bad idea... take your time and write that story, and later send it to me. I hope it would be very happy for me and that imaginary young heph...

What I meant was, that I would start writing a story on this message board and people can carry on writing parts of it as they feel like. I have had great fun with people writing stories in this way on another message board, we have laughed a lot. You can be the hero, what would you like your name to be? I have got the name Stefan in my head, is that a Spanish name? Smile
Hefestion19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That name is not very spanish... but anyway sounds good Laughing

I'm not a good writer in english, but I hope you surprise me!
Catherine X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not a good writer in english, but I hope you surprise me!

Your English seems pretty good to me. All I can say in Spanish is 'where is the toilet?' and 'One beer please' Laughing
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another look on IMDB and they say:

'I read there would be a "family" version od the movie on DVD... They'll probably cut all the "gay", but I bet they'll keep all the violence...funny, huh? '

So that doesn't seem to be good news Sad
Hefestion19

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sad...

I would like to ask to who said that stupidity, what's wrong in a scene where a friend hugs another. "Familiar version". Could they had a worst excuse? I would like to know where is some bad influence...
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its stupid that a 'family film' may include violence but not men hugging each other. How silly is that? Are they trying to encourage us to kill and fight instead of be peaceful and friendly? Confused
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Heph19 & Catherine - how ya doin?
I couldn't agree with you both more about the male-bonding vs violence debate. For e.g - my brother (older paragon that he is!!!) said he didn't like the film because of the "undertones", which is the reason he walked out. So I said to him - "but I bet you enjoyed the battle" to which he replied "yep, that was quite cool."
I mean, what the hell does that say about people - who will happily watch men not just kill but maim and torture one another but when two men confess a need, share a hug that doesn't involve a manly pat on the back, or even confess their love for one another (whether it's within the boundaries of friendship or even if it's concupiscent) they hold up their hands and say "Oh no - we can't have that - bring back the hatred and violence, the blood and guts - anything but a tender moment between two men".
It just makes me (I'm getting heavy here, guys) sad - and even more so that it seems people are willing to compromise their own ideals and creativity to cater for such morons as my brother (no offence meant - I love him dearly - but in this case he's a moron) who demand that it not be apart of any life or story.
Are they deluding themselves or what?

Anyway - now that my soapbox is empy again - Catherine - as long as the original version comes out - the rest of the wrold can watch this film in any format they desire - but don't we have a right to see the film the way WE desire - whoops! on me soapbox again.....
These months of waiting for the DVD are going to be a nightmare!!!!!(heavy sigh)........
mOoK

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:
Yes, its stupid that a 'family film' may include violence but not men hugging each other. How silly is that? Are they trying to encourage us to kill and fight instead of be peaceful and friendly? Confused

Wot's wrong wif da world, mama
People livin' like they ain't got no mamas
I think da whole world addicted to da drama
Only attracted 2 things dat'll bring u trauma
Overseas, yea, we try 2 stop terrorism
But we still got terrorists 'ere livin'
In da USA, tda big CIA
da Bloods n da Crips n da KKK
But if u only hv luv 4 ur own race
Then u only leave space 2 discrimin8
n 2 discrimin8 only generates h8
n when u h8 then u're bound 2 get irate, yea
Madness is wot u demonstr8
n dat's exactly how anger works and oper8s
Man, u gotta hv luv juz 2 set it str8
Take control of ya mind and medit8
Let ya soul gravit8 2 da luv, y'all, y'all

People killin', people dyin'
Children hurt n you hear em cryin'
Can u practice wot cha preach
n would you turn the other cheek

Father, Father, Father help us
Send sum guidance from abuf
'Coz people got me, got me questionin'

" Where is the love? "

Gosh i luv dat song!!! Cool n yea... where's da luv??
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean, what the hell does that say about people - who will happily watch men not just kill but maim and torture one another but when two men confess a need, share a hug that doesn't involve a manly pat on the back, or even confess their love for one another (whether it's within the boundaries of friendship or even if it's concupiscent) they hold up their hands and say "Oh no - we can't have that - bring back the hatred and violence, the blood and guts - anything but a tender moment between two men".

Yes, it is really stupid. 'Make Love, Not War' is much better than the other way round. The world is upside down really, there are many things I think are upside down in this world, but that would involve me getting on MY soapbox if I told you about them Laughing

Perhaps Pacifists enjoyed this film, not these 'Hawks'? Laughing

'Where is the love?' is EXACTLY the right song for this subject. Funny how it spent weeks at number 1 in the charts- it must have hit a nerve with people.
allison

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X and Heph 19 - you're both so sweet and romantic!! If I wasn't such a cynic I'd be right there with you (hopefully that father and son would have another relation who would be right for me) But reality hits - what was it Ptolomy quoted from Bagoas - that Love eluded Alexander just like the endless ocean (or something). Maybe that's why Heph and Al don't quite get it together on screen.

We really should get together and write something!

It is weird that people tend to be ok with Violence in 'family films' but not love (unless it's the super sweet nuclear family), M0ok and Pipsqueak. I totally agree.

I just hope that they bring out an expanded version, or at the very least, the cinimatic release. It would be so sad if they bowed to the pressure of ignorance and bigotry Crying or Very sad
Hephaestion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:
Just had another look on IMDB and they say:

'I read there would be a "family" version od the movie on DVD... They'll probably cut all the "gay", but I bet they'll keep all the violence...funny, huh? '

So that doesn't seem to be good news Sad

I think the war scenes are more traumatic experience than two men hugging and kissing (like someone has a trauma after seeing the kiss...). I can't believe if there will be some kind of "family version" with violence Shocked
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But reality hits - what was it Ptolomy quoted from Bagoas - that Love eluded Alexander just like the endless ocean (or something). Maybe that's why Heph and Al don't quite get it together on screen.

We really should get together and write something!

Yes but isn't there also a bit where Ptolemy says something like 'Alexander only found peace between Hephaestion's thighs'. He says it during the wrestling scene so it could be related to wrestling, but obviously it has another meaning.

Have a look at my story on the General Discussion board. It is very silly and not too rude- I'm a bit nervous about writing rude things in case I get told off or offend people Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: