Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alexander's Top 40 Phrases
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Alexander's Top 40 Phrases Reply with quote

These are, according to me, the forty most important phrases that were said in the movie (they are listed in order of appearance in the film). Many of them are part of Old Ptolemy's narration (Anthony Hopkins) during the film, but others are said by the characters themselves and express a great epic and historic sense I find valuable to reaffirm. Tell me if there is any important one I left out (I had to discard some in order to avoid having such a long list that would bore everyone to death) and which phrase each one likes the most.

1) "Fortune favours the bold". Virgil, The Aeneid.

2) He was a God, Cadmos, or as close as anything I have ever seen. Ptolemy about Alexander.

3) It takes a strong man to rule. Ptolemy

4) Alexander was more, he was Prometheus, a friend to man. He changed the world. Ptolemy about Alexander.

5) There was suddenly a sense that the world could be ruled by one king. Ptolemy about Alexander.

6) It was an empire not of land and gold, but of the mind. Ptolemy about Alexander's Empire.

7) How can I tell you what it means to be young, to have dreams? Ptolemy.

8) When Alexander looked you in the eye, you could do anything, anything. Ptolemy about Alexander.

9) In his presence, by the light of Apollo, we were better than ourselves. Ptolemy about Alexander.

10) Truly, I have known many great men in my life, but only one colossus. Ptolemy about Alexander.

11) All men reach and fall, reach and fall. Ptolemy.

12) Never hesitate. Olympias.

13) The first rule of war is to do what you ask your men to do, no more, no less. Leonidas.

14) It was said later that Alexander was never defeated, except by Hephaestion's thighs. Ptolemy.

15) Only common people believe these tales, as almost anything. We are precisely here to educate ourselves against such foolish passions. Aritotle about myths.

16) Excess in all things is the undoing of men. Aristotle.

17) When men lie together, and knowledge and virtue are passed between them, that is pure and excellent. Aristotle.

18) A king isn't born, Alexander, he is made. Philip.

19) No man or woman can be too powerful or too beautiful without disaster befalling. Philip.

20) Since I was a child I've been groomed to be ever the best. Alexander.

21) Truly Alexander could love like no other, but to betray him was to arouse a vast and frightening anger. Ptolemy about Alexander.

22) I've come to believe that the fear of death drives all men. Alexander.

23) Conquer your fear, and I promise you you will conquer death. Alexander.

24) My own anger, my pride, they too blind me. Alexander.

25) You are not wrong, Princess Statira, he too is Alexander. Alexander referring to Hephaestion when Princess Statira believed him to be Alexander.

26) Beware of men who think too much, they blind themselves. Olympias.

27) In you, son of Zeus, lies the light of the world. Your companions will be shadows in the underworld, when you are a name living forever in history as the most glorious, shining light of youth, forever young, forever inspiring. Never there will be an Alexander like you, Alexander the Great. Olympias about Alexander.

28) I've seen the future Hephaestion, I've seen it like a thousand times, on a thousand faces. These people want, need change. Alexander.

29) What can they think, or sing or write, when none can read? But as Alexander's army they can go where they never thought possible. They can soldier, or work in the cities, the Alexandrias, from Egypt to the Outer Ocean. We can connect these lands, Hephaestion, and the people. Alexander.

30) To free the people of the world, such would be beyond the glory of Achilles, beyond Heracles, fit to rival Prometheus. Alexander.

31) In the end, when it's over, all that matters is what you've done. Alexander.

32) We are in new worlds. Alexander.

33) Love eluded Alexander as much, if not more, than finding the end of the world. Bagoas, quoted by Ptolemy, about Alexander.

34) Each land, each boundary I cross, I strip away another illusion. I sense death will be the last. Alexander.

35) Have I become so arrogant that I am blind? Alexander

36) Sometimes to expect the best of everyone is arrogance. Hephaestion.

37) Isn't it a lovely thing to live with great courage and to die leaving an everlasting faith? Alexander.

38) The dreamers exhaust us. Ptolemy.

39) His tragedy was one of increasing loneliness and impatience with those who could not understand. Ptolemy about Alexander.

40) The glory and the memory of men will always belong to the ones who follow their great visions. Ptolemy.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexandos19 - WOW! Thanks for posting all that; it reminded me of so much in the film. I cannot possibly pick a favorite yet - I will have to go back and read them a few more times and dwell on it a bit.

In addition to the above, I also liked what Alexander said when Darius was running off (I think originally, it came from a letter he supposedly wrote to Darius) - something about following him wherever he shall go. I like the determination and strength in that line.

One other thing, I could be wrong, in #37, isn't it supposed to be 'everlasting fame' instead of faith?

Thanks so much and welcome! Glad you joined us.
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one:
What am I Hephaestion?, Devine or weak?...

I hope is right...
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Thanks for posting all of that - you must have a darn good memory!
I particularly love #17 and 28 - and Adriv's addition "Which am I Hephaistion - Weak or Divine" (Adriv, when ever I watch that clip I scream at my computer 'DIVINE - DIVINE!') Really enjoyed reading them.

I also liked what Al said on the borders of India when he was trying to convince his men to go on - I can't remember how it starts - but he mentions something about the reason they would end the conquest is because "You have fallen in love with the things that would destroy men".
Great line! and the way CF says it - with eyes pinched shut and fists clenched so you can just feel the frustration he's going through - fantastic!
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good list, Alexandros19. I can almost hear Colin saying these, especially no. 28. Smile
mOoK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All me reach and fall... reach and fall ... reach...and... fall << dats sooo true!! n whoaaaa Shocked Shocked u reely r sumfin Alexandros!!! Smile thanks 4 postin all dat. Wink ur amazing Very Happy
Hefestion19

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How can I tell you what it means to be young, to have dreams?"

I love this one..
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Only the beginning.. Reply with quote

of the huge list that could be drawn up from a great script written by 3 screenwriters including Oliver Stone. You have a superb memory for stand-out lines Alexandros19 and I congratulate you. But I think you missed one which strikes at the very essence of Alexander and that is when Ptolemy quotes him as he and his army liberate Babylon. "Alexander said once:we are most alone when we are with the Myths". The one that appeals to me is "we are in new worlds" but the complete line is " world of Titans" as he stands on the peak in the Hindu Kush which must too have reminded him of Mount Olympus in Macedonia.
In raising this subject too, I think you have prompted the question for me of why the famous,great lines that The Great in fact said were not in the movie like this one spoken at the time of the mutiny in Kashmir:
"Gentlemen of Macedon and you my friends and allies, this must not be.Stand firm; for well you know that hardship and danger are the price of glory,and that sweet is the savor of a life of courage and deathless renown beyond the grave".
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, nice....
allison

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic list Cool Very Happy

I have several fav's - No's 4, 6 8 & 9 come to mind (as do a few others - we idolize him - make him better than he was, spoken by Ptolomy for example). They demonstrate the ability of Alexander to motivate and inspire people. But I also love 14, 21 and 33 - show Alexander's softer side, his humanity. I love the lines from the balcony (28 to 30) including Heph's line about the Alexandrias becoming extensions of Alexander himself and enslaving men (can't remember the exact phrasing - sorry).

I loved the script of Alexander Very Happy having to pick out a few lines as being my all time fav's is just terrible - a fantastic line always seems to be missed. Sad

Truly Alexandrian effort - most appreciated Very Happy Thanks Alexandros 19 (do you mind if I call you Alex19?)
Catherine X

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alexandros 19 (do you mind if I call you Alex19?)

Yes, me too. I think I'm actually getting sick of typing the words Alexander and Hephaestion! Quick, throw me out of the fan club now Laughing
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, of course you can call me Alex19 or another acceptable name you come up with Very Happy . Thanks for the replies and thanks for adding some phrases too.
mOoK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:

I think I'm actually getting sick of typing the words Alexander and Hephaestion! Quick, throw me out of the fan club now Laughing

Awwwwwwww we cant do dat Catherine X!!! We've gutta stick 2getha 4 our film, rememba? Very Happy Besides ur reely gr8! hv u eva thought bout becoming anotha defender?? o w8... ur already r! Wink hehehe xXx
Catherine X

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mook. I'm touched. [wipes away a tear] Laughing Wink
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Supporting Catherine Reply with quote

Yes, Mook, you are right about Catherine. I have been enough in this discussion board to realise she is the spirit that leads this forum and also the Alexandrians, this group of fanatics we form. A toast to Catherine, an everlasting member. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: