Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Compare Alexander The Great to Jesus as son of god

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, however I disagree with your conclusion.

May I point out that almost every single religion has documented events that cannot be explained by logic and therefore deemed "miracles".
Also each religion has a basic form of dogma written in holy manuscripts.

Christianity has the Bible.
Islam has the Qu'ran
Judaism has the Torah
Buddhism has the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path.

I can't recall any miracles or written dogma being attributed to Alexander the Great.
He was perhaps the greatest conqueror of all time, but not a god (as he claimed in the late stages of his life) and certainly not worthy of his own religion, although there are wackier cults out there today.
Tino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alexander was the greatest human being to have ever been born.

Wow, there's a stretch.
Keep in mind Alexander was a heavy drinker and killed even some friends in a drunken stupor.
He was a brilliant conqueror, but not the greatest himan being to have ever been born.

Think about it, are you telling me Alexander the great was better than say Dr. Martin Luther King, or Mother Theresa?
I'm a big fan of Alexander the Great, and I admire your devotion to his legacy but I don't diefy him.
Tino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Drinking and homosexual Reply with quote

alexanders desciple wrote:
Tino

Heavy drinking in ancient Macedonia was the norm as was homosexuality so dont us either as a stick to beat Alexander the Great.

Did you not read the part where I said he KILLED SOME FRIENDS IN A DRUNKEN STUPOR? (More than once might I add) That was not the norm my friend.

Quote:

What did Martin Luther Or Mother Tereasa ever achieve I accept they bo deserve respect but ther achievements and contributions were minimal, the potitics of the Roman Catholic church makes the popes the all powerful and i do agree mother tereassa did more than any pope.

Martin Luther was only a mouth piece whos only achievement was to get up the noses of Americas ruling elite,who it has to say had him shot.

You have to be kidding me... People's mentles are not measured by their material contributions. Alexander may have conquered the known world at the time, but Mother Theresa saved more people by her compassion and her example.

Dr. Martin Luther King stood up against an entire society to SPEAK of injustice in a peaceful manner, and yes he was shot, but he has become a martyr for his cause and he knew that it was a possibility.

Quote:

Tino try to find the essence of Alexander you r blinded by the drinking and homosexuality which dont have any relationship at all to any society since or before.

Ok, I never once mentioned anything about Alexander's sexuality but even back in those days a drunkard was looked down upon as well.
I don't wish to knock Alexander, but I would not put him in the ranks of Dr. Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, Mahatma Gandi, and I certainly would not label him ANYTHING higher than a mortal man.
cnm72

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander was but a man... trust, a man can do miraculous things as well as a god

but he as well as followers did often call compare himself to Gods... I believe Hercules & Achilles (forgive any misspelling) but I am sure we might all do such things in the face of battle... to pump ourselves up so to speak

it was a time of Greek Mythology which I absolutely adore for its richness... must we bring christianity into this?
Salonika

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you compare Alexander and Jessus. One conqured vast amounts of lands and people, trying to unite them as one, though the road to his glory lies hundreds of thousands of dead, this lies on his shoulders. Jessus is a figure of peace, totaly opposite, he oppossed what alexander left behind which in turn was followed by the romans. The similarities are not even close. Alexander was a imitator, he imitated homers illiad and oddysey, trying to be like these heroes, and even better. In other words these two figures are a total opposite.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the man All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: