Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Film Studies Course
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Catherine X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: My Film Studies Course Reply with quote

As you may know, I'm doing a Film Studies course, which has been a roller coaster of emotion these last 6 months. Sorry to be big headed or whatever, but I want to tell people on this board, who have been so nice to me, that today I got an A for my second piece of coursework! I got a B for the last one so I am REALLY pleased. The last time I did studying was 14 years ago, since then I have done nothing academic. So I'm really pleased. I haven't told anyone else except my husband [who I share with Pam Laughing ] but I wanted to tell people here.

My last piece of coursework is the Creative Piece. Hurrah! I shall of course be doing a script writing piece, so watch this space... Very Happy
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Catherine - that is FANTASTIC! Congratulations.

I've been meaning to ask if 'Alexander' had been discussed at all in your class and if so, what did they make of it?

So, what will your script be on?
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES THEY HAVE DISCUSSED ALEXANDER! My ***** film teacher came walzing in the Monday after I saw Al, and said 'Oh, I saw Alexander. Its absolute pants and ****. don't bother going.' And all the students laughed. So of course I started arguing with her and we had a minor falling out [made it up now]. But that was before I found this lovely site and I thought I was the only person in the world who Lerved Al!

Got to go now Wink
galatasaray

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*gives catherine some congratulatory (is that a word??) flowers* well done Cx! an A is brilliant!! time for the cool dude shades i think! Cool oh yeh!!

i hope you told your teacher what you thought of al!! Shocked
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i hope you told your teacher what you thought of al!!

Yes, my teacher said Al was 'pants and we shouldn't bother going to see it', but I argued with her, the cheeky woman. All the class laughed and I bet they haven't bothered to go and see it. Their loss!
galatasaray

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

better they dont go see it than they do see it then having to hear all the critisizms. Laughing
Helena

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: congrats!!! Reply with quote

Well done Catherine!! Very Happy I know how difficult it is to return to education after a break as I did the same thing myself recently.
So maybe now with your film experience, you can get started on the making of the film 'The Persian Boy'!!!
I also had a falling out with my boss. He was criticising 'Alexander'-but he hadn't even been to see it! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
nebari_at_heart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!! CONGRATS HUN!!!! Very Happy
i'm doing film studies next year for AS level - i can't wait!!!
good luck with that script!!
Cool

NarI
Catherine X

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all your congratulations. I have kind of kept my A secret at work because I can't quite believe it and don't want the students to think I'm boasting.

I realised I repeated myself above talking about my cheeky teacher putting down poor Al, but obviously I got annoyed about it Mad

Nebari- you will love doing Film Studies, it is fun being with fellow film lovers. I haven't enjoyed watching the gruesome/ upsetting films though because I am hyper sensitive, but now we're doing 'The Swinging Sixties' so that is nicer. It is also weird being 36 in a class of 18 year olds but the student I support [otherwise I couldn't do the course free of charge] is really supportive of ME, so that is encouraging. Smile And film studies teachers are definitely sex obsessed: I've watched so many sex scenes recently I don't notice them anymore Laughing
nebari_at_heart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:

Nebari- you will love doing Film Studies, it is fun being with fellow film lovers. I haven't enjoyed watching the gruesome/ upsetting films though because I am hyper sensitive, but now we're doing 'The Swinging Sixties' so that is nicer. It is also weird being 36 in a class of 18 year olds but the student I support [otherwise I couldn't do the course free of charge] is really supportive of ME, so that is encouraging. Smile And film studies teachers are definitely sex obsessed: I've watched so many sex scenes recently I don't notice them anymore Laughing

Laughing wow, i really can't WAIT!! i am currently sick of doing pointless things in secondary school that i know i will NEVER touch again in my future, and i detest green tights. it is cruel.
anyway...i can't WAIT to get outta here and go to college where i can do FILM STUDIES and art and english and RS yayness!!! Very Happy

Nari
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i detest green tights. it is cruel.

Now come, come, young lady. What would Robin Hood say? Or are you part of his band of Merry Men [?] already? Laughing
nebari_at_heart

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:
Quote:
i detest green tights. it is cruel.

Now come, come, young lady. What would Robin Hood say? Or are you part of his band of Merry Men [?] already? Laughing

Evil or Very Mad Laughing strangely, no, though i think it would be preferable to MILLAIS SCHOOL UNIFORM ugh, put me off bottle green for life...
robin hood must have been insane Laughing
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how things happen in life. I have been having a few problems lately and had decided to give up my Film Course at the end of the year [July]. But yesterday I got the results of my exam, which I took at the end of a week where I'd been ill; been reading and scribing for students in their exams; started my outreach work [driving round to different colleges to help students]; my car broke down the day before so I was worried it wouldn't start on the exam day. all these things had left me in a right state, but my teacher was going on and on about my exam result, so I was wondering why she was so excited. Anyway, I got an A! It hasn't really sunk in yet but I am astounded. Especially as my two students/ friends got a D and an E, so it can't have been a kind hearted examiner marking everyone leniently.

So I'm feeling Shocked , Very Happy and Surprised all at once.
nebari_at_heart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catherine X wrote:
Funny how things happen in life. I have been having a few problems lately and had decided to give up my Film Course at the end of the year [July]. But yesterday I got the results of my exam, which I took at the end of a week where I'd been ill; been reading and scribing for students in their exams; started my outreach work [driving round to different colleges to help students]; my car broke down the day before so I was worried it wouldn't start on the exam day. all these things had left me in a right state, but my teacher was going on and on about my exam result, so I was wondering why she was so excited. Anyway, I got an A! It hasn't really sunk in yet but I am astounded. Especially as my two students/ friends got a D and an E, so it can't have been a kind hearted examiner marking everyone leniently.

So I'm feeling Shocked , Very Happy and Surprised all at once.

MAJOR CONGRATS DARL!!!!!! *BIG MASSIVE HUG*

well done for the result!!!!!!!!!! are not quitting it now then?
Catherine X

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nebari, that means such a lot to get a congratulation from a fellow Alexandrian Very Happy

I hope I will continue with the course, there are a lot of other pressures on me at the moment. But my teacher said I don't have to tell her if I'm carrying on until September! So that is less pressure.

But anyway, if I do carry on to A level, we have to do an auteur project [in case you don't know, an auteur is a director who has a very personal style to all his/ her films so you can say 'oh that's a film by so and so' even if you didn't know the name of the director. Something like that, hope that makes sense].

Anyway, guess which director I will choose if I do this project? Someone with the initials O. S.?Wink

****I really like these Alexander forums, it is the most supportive website I belong to. Very Happy ****
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: