Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baz Luhrmann's Alexander the Great project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdiemom94

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Baz Luhrmann's Alexander the Great project Reply with quote

Believe it or not, it is still a go. I will believe it when I see it. This project has been on and off so many times.

From http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=8463

De Laurentiis Says Alexander Still a Go
Source: Mary February 22, 2005

According to Italy's Il Corriere della Sera (via Screen Daily), producer Dino De Laurentiis has re-assured that he is moving forward with plans to film his Alexander the Great project, to be directed by Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) and to star Leonardo DiCaprio and Nicole Kidman.

"We will shoot the film in one year's time, and it will be the Alexander that everyone has been waiting for," De Laurentiis said, confirming the talent that was attached to the project when it was announced in 2003.

De Laurentiis's film was put on hold when Oliver Stone's rival Alexander project started in 2004. "I don't want to hit out against Oliver Stone, who merits respect. But his picture was certainly flawed, and was missing the spine of a screenplay," the Italian producer told the Milan newspaper.

He added that "epic films are difficult to do well. King Arthur was also flawed. It badly copied ideas from the third film in my schedule, which is based on Valerio Massimo Manfredi's novel, 'The Last Legion'."

The Last Legion is set during the fall of the Roman empire and tells the true story of a group of legionaries who go to Britain to save the young emperor of Rome who has been kidnapped by barbarians. De Laurentiis said that Carlo Carlei is no longer attached to direct that project and a new director has not been announced.

Meanwhile, De Laurentiis is currently preparing Decameron, an adaptation of the 14th century Italian classic by Giovanni Boccaccio. The $38 million drama, written and directed by David Leland, will start shooting in April in Rome and Tuscany.

Hayden Christensen (Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith) plays the lead role of Lorenzo, starring opposite Mischa Barton (The O.C.), who plays Pampinea.

Italian fashion designer Roberto Cavalli heads the production's art department. "You won't be seeing any leotards," De Laurentiis warned. "The costumes and sketches I've seen are wonderful, and are adapted to young people on the road today."

Boccaccio's "Il Decameron" (c.1351) is a series of one hundred stories written in the wake of the Black Death. The stories are told in a country villa outside the city of Florence by ten young noble men and women who are seeking to escape the ravages of the plague.

De Laurentiis's upcoming projects also include The Lecter Variation, which follows Hannibal Lecter from his childhood in Lithuania through a period in Paris to his arrival in the US. The film will feature Lecter at the ages of 8, 14 and 20. De Laurentiis confirmed that the movie will be directed by Peter Webber, and the cast will include Gong Li (Memoirs of a Geisha).

The Alexander we have been waiting for? I just saw that one. I wasn't waiting for another one Razz

Of course De Laurentiis had to take a shot at Stone, no doubt. I think there was a lot of hard feelings between them from the beginning. I haven't read much from Baz Luhrmann in months about this project. The last I read was the Leonardo DiCaprio stated that he was not going to do the film. I haven't heard that he is back in on the project.

I don't know about Luhrmann. I have my reservations. I prefer Stone's style to his. I can just picture dancing Macedonians, a Persian chorus line and Greek acrobats swinging from the Gardens at Pella. It's Moulin Rouge meets Alexander and the companions. Yikes!! (I am joking a course, but you get my point).

Dara Smile
Catherine X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. This sounds a bit dodgy. Is this the version that RLF says [in his book] is full of sex, or the one full of the soldiers using gay insults against each other, like Top Gun? One of the 'other Alexanders' has the much discussed bit with Al in bed with a woman, Heph catches them at it, 'flexes his muscles' and jumps in with them. Sounds like a Carry On film.Exclamation

Because as you say, Birdie mom, we've already seen the Alexander version we were all waiting for. I bet this new version won't have its own message forum and hordes of fans like our beloved Oliver Stone one has Mad
allison

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - from the Making of book this Dino de Laurentiis guy is all talk. And as I HATED how Manfredi portreyed Alexander in his books, I for one will not be eager to see a film based on them Mad

I had reservations about Oliver Stone's version of Alexander before I went to see it, but all of them unfounded. It was a truely beautiful film - one that deserved an oscar (which is probably why it wasn't nominated for one Evil or Very Mad - the Oscar's have always seemed to give it to the people who deserved it for the last project that they did, or because they have paid their dues, or it fits the year's theme). Only an absolute masterpiece could surpass it, and I don't think that's going to happen for a long long long time yet.

I'll believe that the de Laurentiis film's been made when it's in the cinemas and not before.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine Leonardo Di Caprio as 'Alexander'.. No, no way..One of the reasons that I like 'Alexander' is Colin Farrell. For me, he's excellent as Al.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had an idea. Maybe they can ask Colin to play the role of Alexander ...AGAIN!

"Asia can't have two kings",Al said before the first battle.
SO, "We can't have two AlexanderS".Impossibile!
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading, Birdiemom94 - although I think it will be a big insult to OS's film - despite what De Laurentiis says about "meritting respect" - hello - this film didn't get any (apart from here at da forum - of course) - nor did Hollywood "respect" OS's efforts - they slated it!
Anyway, I read about this in RLF's book (yes, Catherine - I finally got around to reading it - yay Very Happy ) and actually laughed out loud when I read DiCaprio was considered for the role - (I like him - Aviator is exceptional and he gets my vote for Best Actor at the Oscars) but to think of him in this kind of role (think Man In The Iron Mask) would just be a travesty - although any film that tries to compete - or be better ("Alexander was flawed" - what arrogance, who's to say his wont be, as well) than OS's Alexander is a doomed project from conception
My advice De Laurentiis - abort! abort! abort! - nothing will beat CF as Al - nothing!
Goldsnail

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I remember how aghast I was about Tom Cruise as Lestat in "Interview in a Vampire" - and he was perfect.
I thought "oh no" about Colin in "Alexander" and - hey- he was the only possible cast! Brilliant!
So I'll give Leo a chance. And I will try to give Luhrman a chance but it will be hard... Strictly Ballroom was fun but Moulin Rouge - I switched the TV off after 5 minutes. Shudder. Nope.
On the other hand, I'm glad that Alexander as a person is much more in focus these days, and more movies made about him means more chances for good movies about him, since so far there haven't been many Wink
Pipsqueak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point - Goldsnail - as long as they do Alexander justices - I suppose it doesn't matter who makes the film.
I'll keep an open mind about the film - but Dicaprio??? I don't think my mind can open THAT much...........
Hephaestion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they really are doing it? If they ever finish it I might go and watch it... But DiCaprio. No thanks.

Quote:
I thought "oh no" about Colin in "Alexander" and - hey- he was the only possible cast! Brilliant!
So I'll give Leo a chance.

I thought something like that when I first heard about Alexander and Colin in the lead role Very Happy I was so wrong. Maybe I also should give DiCaprio a chance...
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'll keep an open mind about the film - but Dicaprio??? I don't think my mind can open THAT much...........

Yes, and they've just given Leo a Lifetime Achievement award. Can't see why?!?
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leonardo DiCaprio? ? ? ???

They better get him to the gym.

Actually, I'd be open to watch any film about Alexander but after hearing what people have said about Manfredi's (sp?) book - I don't think I'll be looking forward to it.

Alexander and Hephaestion REGRETTING being together? Sorry, I just can't buy that.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alexander and Hephaestion REGRETTING being together? Sorry, I just can't buy that.

No, as far as I know about the time of Alexander [which I admit is very little], people just got off with who they liked then got on with their lives and didn't have time to agonise over it afterwards.
Leonnatus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Di Caprio would be a mistake. Brad Pitt was brilliant as Achilles in 'Troy', he deserves a shot on this one. The more movies about The Great the better Cool
allison

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad Pitt - no way!!! Mad He was hopeless as Achilles - totally unconvincing (at least to me)

Leonardo di Caprio would be an interesting choice (he's talented enough to give it a go, but his acting will depend to a large extent on the script &c). I really can't see him doing a better job than Colin, but when/if the film comes out I'll probably go see it - I'm addicted to Alexander the person just as much as Alexander the film.
Ely

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm interesting, Can someone tell me what's the exact title of this book which supposedly the new movie will be based on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: