Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy an ancient greek armour!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
halfaery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Buy an ancient greek armour!! Reply with quote

Oohh, I just found it...
http://www.hellenic-art.com/armour/

I want Alexander´s full size helmet and his slashing sword and ...

Ooooh, I feel like a kid in a candy store! Surprised

But I guess I can´t afford on any of these items! Furthermore, what would I look like, walking around wearing the helmet with street brush on top of it and carrying a sword ready to stab!! Laughing
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you would look amazing - especially as the men in the white coats came to carry you away LOL!

Halfaery - so glad to see you back here; thought we'd lost you!

Great site. I was trying to find the leather skirt outfit but no luck. I'd like to buy one to dress my husband up in!! Yes, I hear everyone laughing at me now. I guess a helmet, sword and breastplate will work - then he can chase me round the house (while I'm screaming "Alexander - you'll never catch me") and finally conquor me!!!

They also have a statue of Alexander. I'm sure my dear hubby would think I had gone completely over the edge if a statue of Alexander showed up at our front door though - and then the men in the white coats would be coming for me.
halfaery

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I´m back. Life just gets sometimes too busy for more important things... Sad
Good luck with chasing games!! Smile
You´ve just given me a great idea! Thanks for it!
Now, where´s my visa...
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son's girlfriend and I have decided to buy one for him on his birthday!(of course we choose Alexander's)It will be a surprise.Nice one?? who knows?we have to wait to find out.But ...WE ..like it.That's enough. But there's another thing.We don't know how much the helmet costs! We were so happy and enthusiastic when we saw the ad ,that we didn't think of that.I guess I have to tell her.Well I can see some disappointment if it is too expensive.
joanna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the cinema museum, in Turin, you can see the actual helmets and armour that were used for 'Gladiator'(very impressive,indeed.)Maybe in the future they will have 'Alexander's helmets and other stuff from the movie,too.Well,that sounds interesting.I'd like to see them.
Catherine X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
then he can chase me round the house (while I'm screaming "Alexander - you'll never catch me") and finally conquor me!!!

We are definitely married to the same man: Im glad I'm not the only one who does that sort of thing [see my conversation with Pip somewhere in this forum about me/Hephaestion, husband/Alexander. Can't remember where it is though] Laughing
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Catherine, I had a couple good laughs over that. "Oh, **** me up the *** Alexander"!! LOL. I know we're married to the same man - my husband has the exact same sense of humor; which, I have endured for 22 years now - so what does that say about me?
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
My son's girlfriend and I have decided to buy one for him on his birthday!(of course we choose Alexander's)It will be a surprise.Nice one?? who knows?we have to wait to find out.But ...WE ..like it.That's enough. But there's another thing.We don't know how much the helmet costs! We were so happy and enthusiastic when we saw the ad ,that we didn't think of that.I guess I have to tell her.Well I can see some disappointment if it is too expensive.

Did you buy it? What a great surprise. How old is your son? Did he and his girlfriend enjoy the movie? If you get it, you'll have to post a picture of him wearing it! I would say something about him chasing his girlfriend around but I'm not sure how old your son is , soooooooo, I'll keep my mouth shut for now.
longbow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if u get him the Falcata (alexanders sword) be careful with it.I was sword fighting with my brother once ,he nearly cut my arm off.lol Surprised L
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to check the prices for ancient Greek helmets and armour in general. Well, here are some examples:

1) the helmets like the ones Colin wore in the movie cost : the lionhead $599.00 and the other $879.00.

2) the helmet Cleitus wore (the Macedonian Cavalry) costs $289.00.

3) Achilles' helmets cost $279.00 and $489.00.

Let's continue with the 'Body Armour'

4) A Royal Spartan Cuirass costs $599.00

5)A Corinthian Muscle one costs $699.00

6)Spartan Greaves $299.00.

If you bought all of the above and you still feel greedy ,go on

7)Alexander's slashing sword (as seen in the movie) $199.00

8)14k Gold Alexander's Pendant $129.00

9)and his necklac.....only $1,999.00!

Well, I think that's enough! Now,you asked me, Pam, if I bought anything for my son. Can you guess?

NO!!!!! My, God , what prices! TOO EXPENSIVE...!!!!

But I found the shields interesting. and they are cheaper. You can see yourselves .Click the site

http://www.hellenic-art.com/armour/shield.htm
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="joanna"]I
8)14k Gold Alexander's Pendant $129.00

Only 14k??? They didn´t have good gold back then? especially rich Alexander...
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, right.

For us only 14k. Sad

For Alexander more! Very Happy

This is how it works ,guys. We are not all of us Alexanders! Ha,ha ,ha ..

By the way, Alexander was very fond of rings and pendants and all this stuff. I know it was big tradition to wear all these jewellery but do you think Al wore them even during the battles?We saw him (in the movie) fighting with his rings. Isn't that dangerous?
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it could be dangerous. Maybe he took them all off before battle, like NO sex on the eve of battle.... Rolling Eyes
cindoo15

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee Joanna - I don't see what you're complaining about! Shocked Surprised

OK, so if I want to dress hubby up like Alexander I need the helmet, cuirass, sword, pendant, necklace and a shield and that comes to ONLY:
$4024.00 WOW!!!!!

Yes, I see you're point.

I also saw statues and busts on the site. This reminded me of something. A few days ago we were out looking at houses for sale. Well, in one of them I walked into the living room and there was a bust of Alexander! I think this is an omen - I should definitely buy this house!
Adriv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cindoo15 wrote:

I also saw statues and busts on the site. This reminded me of something. A few days ago we were out looking at houses for sale. Well, in one of them I walked into the living room and there was a bust of Alexander! I think this is an omen - I should definitely buy this house!

Make sure this house includes the bust of Alexander in it. Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: