Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our meeting at Pella.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: next year perhaps?? Reply with quote

Hopefully we all can be there next year in Pella ?? I hope the interest will still be there people??? thank you Leonidas.
joanna

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Leonidas, I wouldn't like to go alone! Sad
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: pella meeting Reply with quote

no problem joanna hopefully it can go thru next year if we can get it together with the rest it sjust the distance for us over here take care leonidas molon lave!!!!
cindoo15

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
Thanks Leonidas, I wouldn't like to go alone! Sad

Joanna - have you decided to wait until next year to go to Pella? I thought you were going this summer.
joanna

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'd prefer to go with you all! I can go with some friends that live in Greece....but it's not the same. I don't know if you understand what I mean. We all, here in this board, read about Alexander, talk about him, care and admire him. You see, it's not the same.
But anyway, I think I will go. Very Happy
Maz

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never be able to go:

1. I just turned 16 on the 4th
2. Although I plan to later this month I have no Job or financial income at the moment.

I hope you guys who do/may go have a brilliant time.

Nice bit of info on Farrell. It's very nice to hear he got really in touch with the character as I did. Where as other may just see it as a movie role and move on I'm glad he felt as passionateley as I do.
apelles

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maz wrote:
I'd never be able to go:

YES YOU WILL.Maybe not this year but you will definately get there sometime.Believe it and you,ll do it. Very Happy Very Happy
Maz

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah, I'll be going there as soon as I rake up the money... It'd a bit of a stretch at the minute though Razz
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITINERARY PLAN FOR OUR TRIP TO PELLA

The trip to Pella. It's getting nearer and nearer . I have already written a plan but I'll rewrite it as I want to make some additions.

First we need to agree a date. From July 11th to July 25th sounds ok ? What do you think ?

Now here is my plan :

We can meet for the first time in Thessaloniki. Since we are there we can start by visiting the Archaeological Museum. Among other things there are the finds from Vergina.
At the Aristotle square in the center of the city there is 'Aeras' bar. Do you remember it ? I do ! It's the place where Colin spent New Years Eve in 2003. What do you think ? Shall we vitit it ? Let me think, let me think...of course Very Happy

Next is Pella. Alexander's birthplace Exclamation Thinking about that sends a shiver down my spine. I'm excited .
Here we can see :
- The Ruins of the Palace . It lies on the northermost hill covering an area of 60,000 sq. metres ( well, more or less as big as my house Razz )
When we are there , we can close our eyes and imagine that sometime on July 20, 356 BC Olympias was giving birth to a son. Alexandros !

- Two houses with mosaic floors. One of them has representations of Dionysos and the Lion Hunt. The other has the Abduction of Helen, the Stag Hunt and Amazonomachy.

- The Agora. It lies at the centre of the city, covering an area of 70,000 sq.m. It is a complex where shops, workshops, administrative offices were located.

-The three Sanctuaries

After seeing all these, we can visit the Archaelogical Museum of Pella- It has collections of finds from the excavations of private houses, etc..Among the important stuff there is a marble portrayal head of Alexander, a bronze statuette of Poseidon, which is attributed to Lysippos; small marble statue of Alexander, clay figurines made in the workshops of Pella, coins, a red-figured hydria which bears a representation of the fight between Athena and Poseidon for the name of the city of Athens.

Ok, after all this excitment, we need a strong coffee, and we can start heading for Vergina ( or Aegae ), the first capital of the Macedonians.
Even if Pella became the new capital ( at the end of the 5th century BC ), Vergina remained the royal burial place. In 1977, the Greek archaelogist M. Andronikos brought to light the Royal Tombs. The most remarkable of these is the tomb of Philip, Alexander's father. Its discovery is considered to be one of the most important archaelogical events of the century.
In more details the Royal Tombs are :

The three tombs in the Great Tumulus.
- One of them Philip's tomb
- The other beloged to Euridice, his second wife
- And the other , probably, belonged to Alexander IV ( Alexander and Roxane's son )
They were found unplundered and are lavishly decorated with wall painting.

Two tombs to the NW of the city.
- One of them, probably, belonged to the grandmather of Alexander.

There is also a necropolis of the Iron Age ( 11th-8th centuries BC )
A Palace, a theatre and a temple are located there, too. There is also the Acropolis and the city walls.

The Royal Tombs ! The visitors go down into an underground area. There are other tombs and then....Philip's ! Oh, it must be very impressive.
We can see the gold coffin ( larnax ) that contained his bones, and a crown worn by him. The coffin's lid is decorated with the 16-rayed star emblem of the Macedonian kings and two rosettes, the inner of which is filled with blue enamel. The gold oak crown has 313 leaves and 68 acorns and weighs 714 gr ! Click to see more : http://alexander.macedonia.culture.gr/2/21/211/21117a/e211qa07.html

Ok. Can I go on ?

We're moving south and we reach Dion. The religious center and very important place for the Macedonians. They were going there to worship the 12 Olympian Gods. The most important was Zeus ( or Dias ) from whom the name of this city was given. The annual festivites lasted 9 days and each day had the name of one of the Muses. Here Philip celebrated important victories while Alexander before setting out on his long campaing offered sacrificies to Zeus.
Here as our friend Lara suggested, we can visit the mount Olympos. I guess it's worth visiting it. If we are lucky we can meet a god Razz

So moving south there are other interesting places to see. Everything depends on how much time we have.

But now I need a coffee. I'll continue in a minute
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm back with my coffee.

I was saying that there are a lot of places to visit as we're moving south, depends on how much time we can spend.

BUT, but we must stop at Thermopylai !

The Persian King Xerxes had decided to attack Greece in the summer of 480 BC. The Greeks understood that if they wanted to survive the invasion, they first had to annihilate the Persian transport fleet, because without its support , the enemy army would be forced to return. The Greek navy therefore made a stand at Artemisium.
Meanwhile, the Spartans, commanded by their king Leonidas, were to keep the coastal road at Thermopylai. By occupying this position, the Spartans and their allies would prevent the Persian army from attacking the Greek navy in the rear.
At first the Persians had a very hard time there. They couldn't pass. Every attempt was a failure. Two days passed. At this moment, a man named Ephialtes, helped the Persians to reach the Greeks through a mountain path. He was a Greek Sad . He was a traitor Crying or Very sad . We use his name Evil or Very Mad . It means 'nightmare' in Greek. He got the 'honour' he deserved Exclamation
It was the third day, 19th September 480 BC. Leonidas learned that the Persians would soon descend from the mountains and attack his rear. He sent away the other Greeks, but he ordered the Spartans to stay. They were 300 men !!! 300 against thousands of enemies. They fought to the death.They set an example by their sacrifice and eventually the greeks defeated the Persians.
We can see a monument which stands in the city and represents Leonidas in full armour.
The story of the 300 Spartans, as told by Herodotus, has become a 'classic'. Today, there is a reconstruction of the epitaph of the Spartan soldiers :
" Stranger, go tell the Spartans that here we are buried, obedient to their orders "

( dedicated to our Leonidas )

So, what do you think ? Shall we pay a visit to Thermopylai ?

Sorry, I was carried away but as a Greek I'm proud of what happened there. I think you understand...

Next stop....let me see, ah, yes, Delphi.

Another 'must' stop. The most important cult centre of ancient greece of great religious and historical significance. The Oracle of the God Apollo ! We can step on the same stones Alexander had stepped dragging Pythia to the temple in order to get the oracle. " You will be invincible, my son ", she told him. Alexander thanked her and apologising for any inconvenience caused, left smiling Very Happy
Shall we visit it ? Yes ! I knew you would agree Razz

Now, we're on our way to Athens. Don't tell me that you come to Greece and you don't go to see Athens. Impossible !
But, there is Thebes on our way. What shall we do ? As I am an Athenian, Thebes 'was' my enemy. And anyway what is there worth seeing ? Nothing important, I guess. Hmmm, I have to think about it. Give me a minute....Ok, we can drive past it...

Athens.
What to do here in my next post.

What do you think so far ? Isn't it interesting ? For me not only Pella but all these places must be viseted. Alexander went there.
I can't wait to go there with you. Not with people who don't care about Alexander but , yes, with you, my fellow Alexandrians. You who have the same passion for Alexander as much as I do. We can talk endlessly about our great man without being afraid of becoming a bore. Isn't it exciting ?
Thanks to you, I feel so happy and thrilled about this trip. So, come on, let's do it ! It is not going to be 'a' meeting. It's going to be a 'glorious' meeting. We are going to be there and ...Alexander the Great will be there with us, too Very Happy
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to find out the cost of this trip. I can ask different hotels about their prices and learn the entrance fees for the archaelogical places and museums. I'll let you know soon
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!

This sounds great Joanna. Would it be a day at each place or how would it work? I don't really know the distances - suppose I could give a closer look at the map you included.

Glad to see our travel agent is hard at work.

OK, I scrolled down to glance at the map - didn't help me much! What is the distance between Pella and Athens?
joanna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Pam, I'll tell you everything. But not now, it's late and I'm exhausted . I had some friends here today for lunch . When they left, I found time to comment on the last paragraph on 'Plutarch's topic so now we can wait for Alejandro ( our teacher Smile ) to give us the new list of paragraphs. I will write more details about the distances and the costs soon.
Cynisca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I would love to go too, but I don't think I can get enough money together in time...I can do some pricing up....if you don't mind an older lady along...!
I visited some of those places many, many moons ago, Macedon to Delphi and Athens but this was before the tombs at Aigai were discovered and I cannot remember which of the battlefields it was, where I was sitting on the hillside imagining the warriors down on the plain below, I think I would remember if I saw it again...
I also spent some time on Kea, I think it was.
I still remember the smell of the olive trees.... Rolling Eyes and I seriously thought about renting a small cottage I was shown somewhere and staying on... I was a romantic soul in those days.... Embarassed
A strange thing happened in Athens, I was walking across the main square and heard my name called and turned to find a friend from my home town in England.......neither of us knew the other was going there.....!
regards
Cynisca
cindoo15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynisca wrote:
Hi,
I would love to go too, but I don't think I can get enough money together in time...I can do some pricing up....if you don't mind an older lady along...!

Oh my, that will never do! We can't have any older ladies along. Laughing Actually, this group is quite spread out in the age range. I know one of us recently turned 20 (hmm, maybe not so recently) and I happen to be 41 - I don't THINK I'm the oldest - but then again, maybe I am. Very Happy So, can anyone top my 41 years?

Quote:

I visited some of those places many, many moons ago, Macedon to Delphi and Athens but this was before the tombs at Aigai were discovered and I cannot remember which of the battlefields it was, where I was sitting on the hillside imagining the warriors down on the plain below, I think I would remember if I saw it again...

Actually, I have been to Athens before but that was back in 1983 - I was 19 and (for me anyway) too young to appreciate the history. I did go to the Parthenon but I really didn't know anything about it at the time. I'd love to go back with the deeper understanding that I have now.

Quote:

I also spent some time on Kea, I think it was.
I still remember the smell of the olive trees.... Rolling Eyes

Smile For some reason, I don't remember olive trees but I do remember pepper trees. Is that right? Were there pepper trees? Or, I am just getting a bit senile?

Quote:

and I seriously thought about renting a small cottage I was shown somewhere and staying on... I was a romantic soul in those days.... Embarassed

Very Happy Ahhh, yes. I recall having the same thoughts. Now, looking back, I should have done it! I'm still a romantic soul - but one with responsibilities - so, the cottage in Athens will have to wait until I retire.

Quote:

A strange thing happened in Athens, I was walking across the main square and heard my name called and turned to find a friend from my home town in England.......neither of us knew the other was going there.....!
regards
Cynisca
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: