Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our meeting at Pella.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cynisca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am checking out fares and ways of travelling to Salonika, I would rather not fly, unless a cheap special offer makes me change my mind...and the awaiting Heteroi are on hand to ply me with non watered wine for the next day to help me recover and the same to get me back on the return flight.... Laughing Especially if Zeus decides to welcome me to his lands in the same way as before....... Shocked
With me, as I mentioned before - will need cheap accommodation or somewhere to pitch a tent....we slept at Delphi and on the hillside at what looks like Chaeronea from what I remember, last time... I also remember an army of ants that we woke to find carrying off our food supplies....Very Happy
regards
Cynisca
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynisca wrote:
Hi,
I am checking out fares and ways of travelling to Salonika, I would rather not fly, unless a cheap special offer makes me change my mind...and the awaiting Heteroi are on hand to ply me with non watered wine for the next day to help me recover and the same to get me back on the return flight.... Laughing Especially if Zeus decides to welcome me to his lands in the same way as before....... Shocked
With me, as I mentioned before - will need cheap accommodation or somewhere to pitch a tent....we slept at Delphi and on the hillside at what looks like Chaeronea from what I remember, last time... I also remember an army of ants that we woke to find carrying off our food supplies....Very Happy
regards
Cynisca

You made me laugh Laughing . Ok, the wine will be there for you.

Have you checked prices ? I'll do it now and tell you. As for the 'tent' thing , I'm not enthusiastic about it. Uncomfortable, and let's not mention the ants Shocked . I have stopped eating them, you see...
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are again. Time passes quickly and I think we should start being 'serious' Rolling Eyes about our trip to Pella.

Do I have the feeling that only Alejandro and I will go there ? Am I right? I hope I'm wrong and more of you come as well.

I checked prices for three hotels in Thessaloniki. Here are the results.

1) ABC hotel. They said that their rates are 99€ for a single room per night. Then they said that for the period I asked there is an offer for a room at 69€. I think that 'offer' is valid for any period you ask them Smile

2) AMALIA hotel. 50€ single room per night.

3) NEA MITROPOLIS hotel. That is the ***, 30€

4) And last but not least Very Happy ALEXANDROS hotel. 44€ including breakfast.

So, what do you think? They are not expensive.
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 16th July, after the exciting tour we had in Macedonia and central Greece, an experience that we will always remember Smile , we arrive in Athens. It's late, we can't do many things. We can go to have dinner at a place near the sea. How wonderful Exclamation

The next day we start exploring Athens. What to see there? So many thngs that in the end we'll be sorry we can't see everything.

Here is an example:

Athens
Sights

1) The Acropolis
It's a rare traveller who visits Athens without seeing the Acropolis. This stunning collection of ancient ruins dominates a high position overlooking the city and includes the elegant Temple of Athena Nike and Poseidon-Erechtheion - a temple dedicated to Athena and Poseidon-Erechtheus, which is noted for the Porch of the Caryatids (a series of columns fashioned as tunic-clad women.

The Partheon, or Temple of Athena Parthenos, dominates the Acropolis. This structure is an architectural gem noted for its proportions, which maintain a 9:4 ratio, and also for the mathematical calculations that wnsure that the columns appear straight.

Many of the most treasured artefacts at the Acropolis are kept in the Acropolis Museum including five of the original column/statues from the Porch of Caryatids.

Areopagitou, Athens

Metro Akropoli

Tel 01 0 3214172

Website www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21101a/e211aa01.html

Admission €12, €6 students

Open summer 8am-6pm daily, winter 8am-2.30pm daily; museum open summer Mon 11am-6.30pm, Tue-Sun 8am-6.30pm, winter Mon 11am-2pm, Tue-Sun 8am-2pm

2) Ancient Agora

This former market was the centrepiece of ancient Athenian life. The Ancient Agora contains the well-preserved Hephaesteion, which is worth a look as is the Stoa of Attalos, which now houses the Agora Museum.

Thision, Athens

Metro Monastiraki, Thision

Tel 01 0 3210185

Website www.culture.gr/2/21/211/21101m/e211am02.html

Admission €4

Open Mon 11am-6pm, Tue-Sun 8am-6pm

3) Benaki Museum

Greece's largest privately owned museum has a large collection of exhibits on more recent history that include Byzantine artefacts, Islamic art and works from the 18th-20th centuries.

Koubari 1, Athens

Metro Evangelismos

Tel 01 0 3671000

Website www.benaki.gr/index-en.htm

Admission €6, free Thu (except temporary exhibits, students free

Open Mon & Wed 9am-5pm, Thu 9am-midnight, Fri-Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 9am-3pm

4) Byzantine Museum

This museum, set in a courtyarded villa, focuses on Byzantine art.

Vasilissas Sophias 22, Athens

Metro Evangelismos

Tel 01 0 7211027

Website www.culture.gr/2/21/214/21404m/e21404m1.html

Admission €4

Open Tue-Sun 8.30am-3pm

5) Hadrian's Arch

This arch was built in AD131 to honour the emperor Hadrian and to separate the ancient and imperial parts of the city.

Corner Amalias & Vassilisses Olgas, Athens

Metro Akropoli

Admission free
Jewish Museum of Greece
An informative museum with exhibits on Greece's Jewish community.

Nikis 39, 105 57 Athens

Tel 01 0 3225582

Website www.jewishmuseum.gr

Admission €3, €1.50 students

Open Mon-Fri 9am-2.30pm, Sun 10am-2pm

6) Monastiraki Flea Market

This excellent market with loads of interesting stuff for sale is a popular spot for backpackers who've seen one ancient temple too many.

Platia Monastiraki, Athens

Metro Monastiraki

Admission free

Open Mon, Wed, Sat-Sun 8am-3pm; Tue, Thu-Fri 8am-8pm

7) Mount Lycabettus

Athens' highest hill offers brilliant views over the city. Bus 060, then take the funicular or hike up the hill

Cool Museum of Cycladic Art

A small, but well organised museum focusing on art from the Cyclades.

Neofytou Douka 4, Athens

Metro Evangelismos

Tel 01 0 7228321

Website www.cycladic.gr

Admission €5, €2.50 students

Open Mon 10am-4pm, Wed 10am-4pm, Sat 10am-3pm

9) National Archaeological Museum

The National Archaeological Museum is one of the world's great museums, and a must-see for anyone with an interest in Ancient Greece. It is also a great introduction for travellers want to explore ruins elsewhere in Greece.

Patission 44, Athens

Metro Viktorias Trolleybus 5

Tel 01 0 8217717

Website www.culture.gr/2/21/214/21405m/e21405m1.html

Admission €6, students €3, free Sun

Open Mon 1pm-7.30pm, Tue-Sun 8.30am-7.30pm

10) National Gallery of Art

Features exhibits by Greek artists including El Greco.

Vasileos Konstandinou 50, Athens

Trolleybus 3, 13

Tel 01 0 7235857

Website www.culture.gr/2/21/214/21406m/e21406m.html

Admission €6

Open Mon & Wed 9am-3pm & 6pm-9pm, Thu-Sat 9am-3pm, Sun 9am-2pm

11) National Gardens

The National Gardens offer a peaceful break from the hustle and bustle of Athens. Many locals come here to feed the many stray cats that call the park home. Nearby is the Greek parliament where the guards change on the hour.

Between Vasilissis Olgas and Vasilissis Sofias, Athens

Admission free

Open sunrise-sunset

12) Temple of Olympian Zeus

Located next to Hadrian's Arch are the remaining 15 columns that were once part of the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Construction on the temple began in 6th century BC and wasn't completed until AD132.

Vassilisses Olgas 1, Athens

Metro Acropoli

Admission €2

Open Tue-Sun 8.30am-3pm
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I overlooked the ' Jewish Museum of Greece'.
You can find it ...inside Confused 'Hadrian's Arch'.
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are lucky, there may be a performance in the 'Odeon Herodus Atticus' under the Acropolis. The timetable of the performances will be online from April.

Have a look:

The Odeon of Herodus Atticus, as it stands today with its recent restorations, gives us a real picture of what these Roman Odea looked like, minus the ceiling, which must have been made of wood. The difference between a theater and an odeon is precisely that the latter had a ceiling while the theater was always in the open. A steep amphitheater could hold 5,000 spectators. The seats were, and have again been, faced with white Pentelic marble. The semi-circular orchestra is of the Roman type with a high spacious stage at the back. The wall behind the stage is pierced by windows and the niches were used for statues. Concerts are given and ancient drama and comedy are now performed there during summer. When we listen to tragedy, the same words give us the same thrill today and the deep human feelings are felt as profoundly as 24 centuries ago, while the witty repartee of Aristophane’s comedies is as contemporary as if it had just been written. Herodus Atticus lived in the second century A.D. He was the son of a very rich man from Marathon. It was thought in those days that his father had made his fortune by digging on the site of the battlefield where he discovered a great Persian treasure. Wherever this money may have come from, Herodus put it to good use. He built public utilities all over Greece, the stadium at Delphi, the water system at Olympia, the fountain house and odeon of Corinth and many other buildings among which the stadium of Athens and the odeon below the Acropolis. This last he put up in memory of his beloved wife Regilla. Gossip again had its say on this. It was found that he had gone a bit too far in displaying his grief: he even put a facing of black marble on his house in Kifissia (a summer resort near Athens) and people wondered whether it was from great love or whether it was to allay suspicion of his having brought about her death when he got tired of living with her.
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have another look of beautiful Athens and things worth seeing.

http://www.pbase.com/2112/athens
Cynisca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joanna,
joanna wrote:
Here we are again. Time passes quickly and I think we should start being 'serious' Rolling Eyes about our trip to Pella.

Do I have the feeling that only Alejandro and I will go there ? Am I right? I hope I'm wrong and more of you come as well.

1) ABC hotel. They said that their rates are 99€ for a single room per night. Then they said that for the period I asked there is an offer for a room at 69€. I think that 'offer' is valid for any period you ask them Smile

I am still very interested.....just need to be sure of getting enough money together in time....and the thought of the plane is worrying me already.... Rolling Eyes
I should really opt for the ***...but I could not arrive in Salonika and ignore the Alexandros.....if I am 'roughing' it everywhere else....lol
regards
Cynisca
Cynisca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joanna,
joanna wrote:

I am still very interested.....just need to be sure of getting enough money together in time....and the thought of the plane is worrying me already.... Rolling Eyes
I should really opt for the ***...but I could not arrive in Salonika and ignore the Alexandros.....if I am 'roughing' it everywhere else....lol
regards
Cynisca
joanna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynisca, have you checked airline prices for Thessaloniki?
Have you decided to come? Now I'm checking prices for hotel accomodation. In Thessaloniki we'll stay for two days( so that means two nights in the hotel). Then one night in a hotel in Katerini, a city near Dion. After that one night in Larissa which is in Thessaly not far from Thermopylai. And last one night in Delphi or Arachova or Livadia( cities near Delphi).

Then it's Athens but I can find a place to put you up there.

I think we should book the rooms in the hotels ( or hostels if you like; I'd rather stay in a hotel). I have asked a lot of different hotels if they have available rooms for the days we want and two of them said they are full that day.I'm waiting for an answer from the other hotels I e-mailed.

Is there anybody else who wants to do this trip with me and Alejandro? Is there???? Rolling Eyes
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now , let's see.

Alejandro and I are going (100%)

Then just now I saw that Pam can come, too ( ? ) [you put the number, Pam. ]

Anybody else?

Listen, everybody, I have news. I checked hotels and prices and I asked for availability on our dates. I still wait for some responses. Others came but some of them are...negative. They're already booked up! So, we'd better book in, soon. Otherwise we'll book....out; that means we'll sleep on a bench out in the park, reading one of our Alexander's books, of course Very Happy

I can make a list of the hotels we can stay, as soon as I have the responses. We'd better make the reservation right away. We can book online but the payment will be done at the hotel. They ask for the credit card number just in case we won't show up.
I also had a look at the hostels,but I'm afraid they are not good. I couldn't find any hostels in the smaller cities.
Adriv

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to, and that is one of my dream trips for a long time, but unfortunaly I had to get surgery around that time so I'm afraid I have to postpone this trip for some other time Evil or Very Mad Sad

I will see what happens in near future. Confused
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna, you didn't tell me that Thessaloniki had been founded by Cassander. Shocked Is that the first site I will see of Greece? Shocked I think I'm about to have a mental breakdown. Laughing
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, being calm, I wanted to say that my commitment to the Alexandrian meeting in Pella is so high and my determination so strong (I could have avoided saying all that, right? Laughing ) that I already have my airline tickets to return from Athens to Madrid, before I go back to Argentina. At the moment, though, I don't know how in God's name I'm getting to Thessaloniki (I may arrive in a donkey or with the foot companions Laughing ), but I know I will be there, so wait for me Alexandrians. Very Happy
Alexandros_19

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynisca wrote:
Hi,
regards
Cynisca

Cynisca, if you want, there are low cost airlines (like AirBerlin) that go to Thessaloniki. You won't have a direct fight (I think, because the ones I've seen go from Germany), but if you combine, let's say, a trip of Ryanair with another one of AirBerlin, you could get to Thessaloniki for a very reasonable price. Actually, from England, I think you can go anywhere for reasonable prices using low cost airlines. Let me know if you find anything because I could help you otherwise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: