Go to the alexander-the-great.co.uk homepage
alexander-the-great.co.uk
Talk about the Oliver Stone movie "Alexander"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our meeting at Pella.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joanna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Our meeting at Pella. Reply with quote

Hi,everybody,
I can organise our meeting at Pella.I'm serious about it. Any way ,I'm going there this summer.If you're intrested,just tell me.
joanna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,I guess I'm gonna be the only 'Alexandrian'in Pella this summer.I can already see my' lonely days' there.Come on. You bring tears to my eyes,my 'Alexandrians'!Be brave,men! Don't let me down.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I interested? OH YES, don't doubt it for a minute. I would be there if I could, maybe if I lived in Europe somewhere and could just jump on a train - that would be fantastic but, I don't so I have to stay here and hope that someone joins you joanna but if not, please take many many pictures to send our way.
lardvaark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a second!

I'm still up for it - I just haven't been around to post much over the last few days.

Will need quite a bit of planning though. I think that is the problem with most people, at least as far as this year's concerned. I like to think there's every possibility we could have...whatever you call a reunion when you haven't met before...a union(?!) Smile at some point, even if we have to wait a bit.

L
joanna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had an idea.
We can ask Oliver and Colin and whoever you want from the cast, to join us in Pella ,this summer. There are rumors that Oliver is moving to France (for good). He's fed up with America and all these stupid critics who tried to kill his movie.But ,as long as there are people like us 'Alexander' will never be killed! It will be in our hearts for ever.
Maybe , if we beg them, they will take pity on us and they will join us.
I'll see what I can do.
lardvaark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah!
Ask 'em all, Jo!

Point out repeatedly how cool we are.
Very Happy
joanna

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I : “ Here , we are again. Our meeting at Pella! Do you remember? Once we’ve talked about a trip to Pella, all of us, Alexandrians. Don’t you remember? “

You: “ No. I can’t ,this summer “. “Maybe, I can’t do it next summer, either “. “ I t sounds good,but…”. “It’s far away from home “. “What can we do there? “ “Do you have a plan? “ “How long can we stay?” “NO, thanks, another time. “ “ I’ve already made plans for summer “. “I’m broke, how can I go there without a penny? Any suggestions? “

I : “ Look at you ! You’re breaking my heart to see all of you, men, so frightened. Come on, trust me. Come with me. Then we can talk about our glorious meeting … forever !

You : “No, no, it’s too risky “. “ Yes, we trust you, we love you, we want to follow you “ “ Let’s do it, it’ll be fun “. “ No, I’m so tired, I can’t think of anything now “

I : “ Ok. Stay at home. Don’t come with me. But you will never forget this moment, you will never forget that you abandoned ME, here… Because, I will go ahead with my……myself!!

What do you expect after watching the film so many times?! Who talked about obsession? Am I obsessed by it? Noooooooooo!

Ok . Let’s talk seriously now (if I can manage..)
I’ve already made my plan . It includes 4 main stops at the following cities :

1) VERGINA. ( identified as Aegae-the first capital of the Macedonians)

When the capital was moved to Pella, it was continued to be used as the royal burial grounds.The Royal Tomb, belonging to king Phillip, father of Alexander, was found there. We can see the golden larnax with the star symbol of the Macedonian Kings, decorating its cover ( sixteen rays of different length around a central rosette ). Inside the larnax were found the bones of the dead king covered with a golden wreath of oak leaves. Some of the other finds are: an iron breastplate, a ceremonial shield, an iron helmet, a royal diadem weapons and other things.

2) DION

Ancient Dion was an important religious center for worshipping the Gods of nearby Mount Olympus. This is where Phillip came to celebrate his victories and his son Alexander came to make his sacrificies here before going off to conquer the East.

3) P E L L A (the birthplace of Alexander.- come on guys ,let’s go.Don’t you feel the excitement?)

The capital of Macedonia moved from Vergina to Pella in the 5th century BC and it was in effect the capital of Greece. Indeed, for 250 years Pella was the cultural center of the Greek world and a pole of attraction for famous artists of the age (Zeuxis, Apelles, Lysippos. Leocharis). The Palace complex alone, situated on the hill dominating the city, occupied 60.000 sq. metres! We can admire the exceptional mosaics discovered in the remains of luxurious private houses and public buildings. The museum is one of Greece’s best on.site archaeology museums with a display of pottery, jewellery etc.

4) THESSALONIKI.

I’ve always wanted to visit it. It’s the capital of north Greece. I ‘d like to go sightseeing, and visit the museum where there are a lot of finds from Vergina on dislay there.
But now ,there is another reason . I want to go to ‘Aeras Bar’,at the Aristotle square. Why,I want to do that? .. Colin spent New Years Eve (2003) there. Maybe I can find some photos or ask the staff to tell me what they remember of him. Wow! Sounds exciting.

Well, that’s it. Do you approve it? Sounds interesting? It’s GREAT!
I still …have to get some information about accommodation.( a small detail- what? A small detail??!) Ok,ok Iwill start searching to find hotels and ..prices.
cindoo15

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are good Joanna, very very good. Could you possibly have learned motivational speaking from Alexander?

Yes, I feel the excitement and would love to be there to sense the glory. BUT, I can't. I just really really can't. As you know, I am already planning on Italy in May - plane tickets are in my drawer! It would be impossible to leave my children again (I have never left them for so long before and am really nervous about it) - just look at that little face. Oh well, I suppose I could always bring them - is there an emoticon for insanity? Even if I decided that I had lost my mind and brought them, well then I'm looking at 5 airline tickets at about $700.00 a piece - comes to $3500.00!!! Cough, cough, choke, choke - HELP! anybody know CPR? Oh there would be nothing more fun than a 10 hour flight with a 2 year old (trust me I know, we did it last year going to Hawaii; brought all the kids, had fun, hubby said he'd never do it again until she is around 5, don't blame him!)

You're itinerary sounds fantastic; looks like you've done your research. Is Mieza (where they went to school with Aristotle) close to any of the places you are visiting? That would be worth a visit as well. Oh wow, I would love to visit those places - so many of them where you KNOW Alexander stood. It would be a grand feeling. I hope you have a wonderful time I really do hope you find one of our Alexandrians to join you.
halfaery

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard my own voice when I read this, Joanna:
Quote:
No, I’m so tired, I can’t think of anything now
Embarassed

If someone else is truly willing to deal with all planning and booking and such, well, with most of it, then I could really start to think about this seriously.
There´s only one limitation: the time of my holiday. Crying or Very sad
So, any time between 27.6.-17.7. suits me fine! Very Happy
Lala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joanna wrote:
Well, that’s it. Do you approve it? Sounds interesting? It’s GREAT!
I still …have to get some information about accommodation.( a small detail- what? A small detail??!) Ok,ok Iwill start searching to find hotels and ..prices.

I approve it! Smile Just a few notes though: 1) While at Dion, go and visit the mountain (Olympus)...It's near and it's worth visiting it close. It's magic!
"Aeras" in Greek means "Wind" and it's one of the nicest bars (not expensive) in Thessaloniki because it's by the seafront of the city and you are able to gaze the sun setting over Mt. Olympus!! That's when we start dreamming over here!

Hotels? Try City Hotel (www.cityhotel.gr) or a youth hostel: try this site a little later in english: http://www.ymca.gr/index.php If i get more info i will tell you
joanna

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,Lala. Thank you for your info. Let me know if you have more. You can e-mail me if you want.
Lala

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Exclamation Smile
LEONIDAS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: TRIP TO PELLA??? Reply with quote

khaire!!! Is everyone still interested in the trip to pella I think cindoo15 and I are if we can afford it that is. Iknow the rest of the gang in the UK Italia and spain still might go? any opinions on us. thank you Leonidas
joanna

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I found in another site:

"Hellraiser Colin Farrell developed such an emotional tie to historical figure Alexander The Great, he spent a day weeping at the grave of the Macedonian warrior's father.

Even when Farrell was on a break from filming Oliver Stone's epic Alexander, he couldn't escape the urge to learn more about his real-life character - so he travelled to ancient Greece.

He says: "I've come to love Alexander very much, or at least my idea of Alexander. When we had a break over Christmas, I went to Greece on my own for five days, stayed at Thessaloniki, and went to visit (Alexander's father) Philip's tomb.

"And I cried like a baby. It was five of the most amazing days."

You see , Colin is sensitive ; it's not the tough guy that some people believe he is.
When I go to Greece, this summer, I'll visit the same places that Colin visited. ( I don't think I'll cry, though- but you never know. I really get excited when I visit historical places..)

Anybody wants to join me ???
MACEDONIC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,i guess i' ll be around... Very Happy

(and i 'll be watching you.... Twisted Evil )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    alexander-the-great.co.uk Forum Index -> Discuss 'Alexander' the Movie - Post Release All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: